Community Forum

How do I limit everyones bandwidth?

New Poster

How do I limit everyones bandwidth?

So I have a very fast internet which I believe is 150mbps and I keep having a high ping on online gaming duo to number of devices that are connected together. we have around 9 to 10 devices connected and what I want to limit the internet for other devices while some have faster internet. 

im connected through a cable not wifi

Is there a way to do that ? im usuing comcat router 

also in case someone asks i did talk to everyone in the house and they only use it for watching youtube and they don't mind a bit of lag on their vidoes.

all i want is to improve my ping 

How do i know the problem is coused by many devices ? i checked and turned off everything and my ping was perfect

Expert

Re: How do I limit everyones bandwidth?

You would need to have a router that has QOS (Quality Of Service) features so that you would be able to prioritize / control traffic to individual devices. I'm not certain but I don't believe that their supplied gateway devices have that much granularity.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Lets say I get a new router that support QOS Is there an option where I can priorities a lan over others. Make one of the hard wired connections be faster than other

I don't have wifi and as I read online i can only manage wifi setting to make one device faster but not a hard wire 

Expert

The way that QOS is implemented is different for various models. Suggest that you pick a model and research the manual for the particular implementation and whether or not it meets your needs.

For reference, here is an example of Netgear's feature;

https://kb.netgear.com/24266/How-to-enable-Quality-of-Service-QoS-on-routers-with-NETGEAR-genie

Here is some more general info;

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Can you please give me a model number of any router that support those features and can be connected through coax port.

I did some search online but i couldn't find any netgear router with coax port 

Expert

Routers don't have "coax ports". Straight cable modems and combo modem / router gateway devices do. The stand-alone type of routers that I'm referring to would need to be used with a straight cable modem (separate cable modem and a separate router). 

I'm sorry, I prefer not to recommend / refer to any specific brands / models.

New Poster

Thank you so much Smiley Happy

Expert

Quite welcome ! Good luck !