Community Forum

How do I limit everyones bandwidth?

New Poster

How do I limit everyones bandwidth?

So I have a very fast internet which I believe is 150mbps and I keep having a high ping on online gaming duo to number of devices that are connected together. we have around 9 to 10 devices connected and what I want to limit the internet for other devices while some have faster internet. 

im connected through a cable not wifi

Is there a way to do that ? im usuing comcat router 

also in case someone asks i did talk to everyone in the house and they only use it for watching youtube and they don't mind a bit of lag on their vidoes.

all i want is to improve my ping 

How do i know the problem is coused by many devices ? i checked and turned off everything and my ping was perfect

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: How do I limit everyones bandwidth?

You would need to have a router that has QOS (Quality Of Service) features so that you would be able to prioritize / control traffic to individual devices. I'm not certain but I don't believe that their supplied gateway devices have that much granularity.

New Poster

Lets say I get a new router that support QOS Is there an option where I can priorities a lan over others. Make one of the hard wired connections be faster than other

I don't have wifi and as I read online i can only manage wifi setting to make one device faster but not a hard wire 

Diamond Problem Solver

The way that QOS is implemented is different for various models. Suggest that you pick a model and research the manual for the particular implementation and whether or not it meets your needs.

For reference, here is an example of Netgear's feature;

https://kb.netgear.com/24266/How-to-enable-Quality-of-Service-QoS-on-routers-with-NETGEAR-genie

Here is some more general info;

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

New Poster

Can you please give me a model number of any router that support those features and can be connected through coax port.

I did some search online but i couldn't find any netgear router with coax port 

Diamond Problem Solver

Routers don't have "coax ports". Straight cable modems and combo modem / router gateway devices do. The stand-alone type of routers that I'm referring to would need to be used with a straight cable modem (separate cable modem and a separate router). 

I'm sorry, I prefer not to recommend / refer to any specific brands / models.

New Poster

Thank you so much Smiley Happy

Diamond Problem Solver

Quite welcome ! Good luck !