Community Forum

How do I change my comcast IP address

New Poster

How do I change my comcast IP address

I have a DPC3939 modem which was provided when we signed up for xfinity and it is a modem/router combo all in one. I need to change my IP address and I do not know how to. I clicked on a false link which was an IP grabber aswell as someone grabbed my IP when i went on teamspeak.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How do I change my comcast IP address

Why do you need to change your IP address?

Most ISP's assign a dynamic IP.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Diamond Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

Why do you need to change your IP address?

Most ISP's assign a dynamic IP.

They stated why.......

OP, you can't do it manually with he 3939 as none of the Comcast supplied gateway devices have a MAC address cloning feature. You can try calling the Comcast "Security Assurance" dept. and request that they do it for you. 1-888-565-4329 YMMV. Good luck !

Gold Problem Solver

Aaron15 wrote: I have a DPC3939 ... I need to change my IP address ...

Edit: What EG said. Or you could replace the Comcast device with your own modem and router.

Diamond Problem Solver

BruceW wrote:

Aaron15 wrote: I have a DPC3939 ... I need to change my IP address ...

The only way to change your public IP with rental hardware is to swap out your DPC3939, or replace the Comcast device with your own modem and router.

FWIW, it could also be put in to bridge mode and a stand-alone router could be used with it. The different MAC address of the router would result in a different public IP being assigned.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Unhelpful flaming comment removed. Ten month old dead thread now being closed.