Community Forum

How can I reach third tier support who knows what a second IP address and how to set mine up?

Regular Visitor

How can I reach third tier support who knows what a second IP address and how to set mine up?

I've been on support for four hours with countless techs transferring me all over the place, with 99% of them not even knowing what having a second IP address means. HELP! I have a residential internet line with a 3rd party DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem from Arris (Model SB8200), which has two ports on the back. I've ordered a second DHCP IP address a couple of days ago through the residential team, confirmed the order, and was expecting it to be provisioned. Comcast told me to contact the modem provider, which I did, and they confirmed that since Comcast owns the firmware that gets loaded on to the Arris modems, Comcast needs to provision the second IP address -- there's no other way to get to any sort of admin level on the boxes, since they own the firmware that gets pushed during provisioning. Residential support keeps wanting to transfer me to Comcast Business support with the false understanding that they "provision IP addresses", yes but only static IP addresses. I talked to Comcast Business, they were polite, knowledgable and apologized, and said I would need to talk to Residential support. They confirmed the IP address block is a completely different block whenever they provision IP addresses.  HELP! 

Expert

Re: How can I reach third tier support who knows what a second IP address and how to set mine up?

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: How can I reach third tier support who knows what a second IP address and how to set mine up?

Hi there, adamcone. Thanks for reaching out to us here for support, welcome to the community! It sounds like you've spent a good amount of time and effort on this. We're pretty familiar with this request here on the forums, but it's not too common otherwise. The reason being is because this isn't a feature that we support in many areas anymore. At this time, there are only a few areas left that have this option. What normally happens when we add the second IP address code/charge to your account (and when in an eligible area) we'll then send a certain signal to your modem to apply the change, sometimes you have to then power cycle any additional equipment you have like the router and then the computer. What typically happens after that is you'll see lights for both ethernet ports light up on the back of your device, indicating that they're both transmitting data. After that, you'll have the ability to use to two IP addresses however they fit your needs. What I can do for you is pull up your account, check to see if it's available to you, let you know the cost, and then we can go from there. I saw that you already send me a private message, so I will reply to that momentarily. Thanks!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi again, adamcone. I ended up not hearing back from you on this before we could reach a solution. I will be completing this interaction. If you end up needing further support with this, please reply to my most recent private message. Take care!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.