Community Forum

Hotspot

Regular Visitor

Hotspot

I am away from, and can’t connect to the hotspot. I downloaded the app and it says in literally sitting on the hotspot, but it won’t show on my router....
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Hotspot

@Ndthompson wrote:
I am away from, and can’t connect to the hotspot. I downloaded the app and it says in literally sitting on the hotspot, but it won’t show on my router....

What device are you trying to connect to the Xfinity hotspot (SSID xfinitywifi)?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Ndthompson wrote:
 but it won’t show on my router....

What do you mean "in your router" ? Do you mean in the *client / device* ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

It depends on where you are located. Location, location, location.

Being inside a building with a laptop may have to much RF interference to pick up and actually connect with the signal.. Keeping it can be another matter.

Being outside using a smart phone, tablet, may actually work better. They operate working with a weaker signal. Have you tried getting the signal that way?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Well in my list of available networks. It was working perfectly fine then xfinitywifi disappeared. When it came back it was without the 🔒 in front of it, and I am not able to connect to that.
Expert

@Ndthompson wrote:
Well in my list of available networks. It was working perfectly fine then xfinitywifi disappeared. When it came back it was without the 🔒 in front of it, and I am not able to connect to that.

Too me that symbol would mean the hotspot found is currently not being used for some reason. It may be down for repair, or possibly was used after a past storm or major outage in that particular area.

Have you checked with your local service center about that particular Hotspot?

Expert

That looks like the symbol that is used to indicate a secured hotspot, not an open one.