Community Forum

Horrible lag spikes. Doesn't seem like my fault, what can I do?

Expert

Re: Poor connection issues - unable to game or video conference or stream

mayo_in_dc wrote:

Interesting.  So a bad second hop (if the first one is your router) means anything could be wrong between your router and the headend equipment maintained by the cable company.  That would include your cable modem, but also the CMTS.  

Basically true but may not be exactly that straightforward.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I'm having the exact same issue, and it's very noticable... raid healing on WoW, coincidentally to some people here.  I started noticing the problem around 2 weeks ago, but I haven't been gaming so it could have been longer.  I have went through 3 routers over the years, I always replace it when the spikes occur for 2+ weeks and the new router seems fine.  Maybe that's because Comcast does something when a new router receives the signals.  Maybe it's not related and this is a new phenomenon.  Just 1 month ago I was bragging about blazing internet speeds and never DCing, and offered to host Skype calls.

Another noticeable thing in the past is that the internet was terrible at night, after 9 PM or so until 5 AMish.

Also a friend who lives about 4 miles away has Comcast and also told me about lag spikes.  Totally ridiculous.  It's been happening to him for months too.

I'll be calling Comcast tomorrow.

New Poster

Has anyone been able to fix this problem?

I'm also a gamer and I'm having extreme lag spikes daily during peak hours 6pm - 11pm.

New Poster

I have been having the same problem on and off for a couple of months.It makes online gaming impossible.They gave me a new modem and have sent 3 "tech?"guys out lol they say hey do a speed test i explain that won't show you the problem.Lag spikes won't even be noticed checking email or a website it's in online gaming which EVERYONE does now.

I pay way to much for this..Then they outsource customer service to what sounds like Peru it may be time for me to switch.I had DSL before cable was available now cable is failing..