Community Forum

Home Network - Internal Static IP

New Poster

Home Network - Internal Static IP

I have a home server that needs to have an INTERNAL static IP. I am logged into the xFi modem/rounter that was sent to me. I have the option to change the MAC address from DHCP to Reserved IP. The screen shows me that it is saving, but when it reloads, that MAC address is still DHCP. I dont need a public static IP. I called and talked to 4 different techs, and none of them understood what to do and was trying to sell me a business static IP. I had a static ip setup for my internal server on my personal router, but that no longer is hooked up because of the router comcast sent me. 

I have reset the xfi router.

Tried different static IP in the listed range.

Restarted Server

Disconnected server and tried adding the MAC manually but it says it's already added and I cant see it anywhere.

Expert

Re: Home Network - Internal Static IP

If you do leave it connected, as long it stays on, it will retain the same internal IP Address as long as it is not offline for longer than a week which is the default IP lease time for the internal network. Have you also tried setting the IP static on the server side?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yea I have it set on the server side.

The lease is set for a week and like you said, it will stay the same. 

It's just a little irritating that this router that they sent me, doesnt let me setup my network how I want.

New Poster

Thank you for replying. I feel better to know that someone knows what I am trying to do.

Expert

Which gateway are you using?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi there, ELYMI. I wanted to reach out and follow up with you. Were you able to set up the gateway with the settings you preferred or as close as possible? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

It is rediculous to have a DHCP function that retains control for the lease period even when attempting to switch a device from DHCP to a static IP.

I have changed a device config to reflect a static IP, taken the device off-line, selected ‘Forget this device’ on the xfi gateway, placed the device on-line, and checked the connected status of the device.  Instead of the static IP I want, the device was again connected with a DHCP selected IP, the same IP used earlier.

If Xfinity has a procedure for establishing a static IP it hasn’t been made easily available.