Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

High ping when online gaming compared to other people nearby/same game or different platform?

New Poster

High ping when online gaming compared to other people nearby/same game or different platform?

For about a month now I've had high ping issues with a specific game I am playing through my PS4-hardwired. My ping initially started around 75ms and since troubleshooting my modem per comcast tech support over the last month (opening ports, resetting, replacing router/modem, etc.) my ping has jumped to a more consistent 115ms+. 

My ping also fluctuates upwards of 30-40ms in a 10 minute period if I reset my router and/or console multiple times.

This whole process began when comparing my ping to a friend of mine's, who's is a steady 33-34ms everyday, no matter the time. He lives about 20 minutes away from me and has Charter instead of Comcast but pays for less speeds than me??

Another interesting note is that when I boot up the game on my mobile device, connected to 5ghz wifi signal, I get a much higher ping than when my mobile device is running on my Verizon LTE in the same spot (not full bars of service). Does the fastest internet provider in the country really have a higher ping rate than Verizon or Charter??

My neighborhood is 4-5 years old. My friend's is probably 40-50 years old.

Everyone at Comcast keeps telling me that is the way it is and there is nothing they can do. I find it hard to belive that this is an acceptable range for anyone trying to game online seriously.