Community Forum

High packetloss and latency last few weeks

killerhertz
New Poster

High packetloss and latency last few weeks

I suspect that is due to the Comcast network, but I've had really poor Internet connectivity for the past few weeks during the day and also in the evening.

Online packetloss tests have exhibited very high packet loss and latency. I have observed high latency using trace route. Note that I consistently see the first few hops (outside of my LAN) to have variable latency upwards of 1 second!

Tracing route to google.com [172.217.164.142]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.86.1
2 74 ms 12 ms 11 ms 96.120.18.173
3 1647 ms 12 ms 11 ms ge-4-1-sr01.stewartsvlle.va.richmond.comcast.net [68.86.124.57]
4 15 ms 13 ms 14 ms 96.108.140.117
5 711 ms 18 ms 23 ms 162.151.163.161
6 1263 ms 20 ms * be-31542-cs04.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.42.141]
7 22 ms 26 ms 18 ms be-2407-pe07.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.32.198]
8 21 ms 21 ms 2170 ms as15169-4-c.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [173.167.57.162]
9 24 ms 26 ms 14 ms 64.233.175.172
10 * 21 ms 21 ms 108.170.232.1
11 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms iad30s24-in-f14.1e100.net [172.217.164.142]

I've observed this on wired and wireless connections. I also tried a different router to no avail.

It is very apparently in VOIP and gaming.

Aair
Frequent Visitor

Re: High packetloss and latency last few weeks

Same boat here but near Portland, OR.  I tried to ask Comcast to look at the equipment with the IP address 96.120.61.121 but they want me to call Netgear since I have a netgear cable modem and that they don't "own" 96.120.61.121 address, yet it's my first hop into the internet... so who would own it? 

From what I can tell, it's based on Comcast network congestion and they have their equipment drop packets so they don't stop working.  This kills voice/video calls (when you're talking or presenting your screen) and online gaming.

yoshih23
Frequent Visitor

@Aair wrote:

Same boat here but near Portland, OR.  I tried to ask Comcast to look at the equipment with the IP address 96.120.61.121 but they want me to call Netgear since I have a netgear cable modem and that they don't "own" 96.120.61.121 address, yet it's my first hop into the internet... so who would own it? 

From what I can tell, it's based on Comcast network congestion and they have their equipment drop packets so they don't stop working.  This kills voice/video calls (when you're talking or presenting your screen) and online gaming.

Hey neighbor @Aair ! I'm right across the river in Vancouver, WA, and I'm losing packets at that exact IP as well! It's also the first hop outside my local network, and I usually get ~20% packet loss with 100ms+ ping from that hop alone, regardless of what website/IP/server my destination is at. It's been driving me nuts trying to work and make conference calls from home with this packet loss and latency.

I've done tracert, ping, and pathping tests between various devices inside and outside my local network to verify that the packet loss and latency isn't coming from my end. Even upgraded my internet speed and bought a new modem just so the Comcast reps would stop blaming those factors. After speaking to about 10 different customer service reps, I finally got a technician sent out to my house earlier this week. He ended up running every test he could think of and replaced every cable outside my house, but nothing worked. He said something about there possibly being an issue in the cables linking my neighborhood or something, but if you're having issues down in Portland, then I strongly suspect something's funky with 96.120.61.121.

Anyways, sorry I don't have a solution, but seeing that I'm not the only one having issues with that specific first hop actually makes me feel way less insane. The technician said he'd call me back on Monday (April 20th) to check on things, and I'll definitely let you know if it leads anywhere.

Best,

-J

Aair
Frequent Visitor

Hi@yoshih23:  I'm also in Vancouver (Felida area).  I just noticed that the OP was from VA so they might not know where Vancouver is.  I'm interested in seeing if you get a resolution, so please reply to this if you do.

I also bought a new modem and from what I can tell my signal strength is good.  I think I did pretty much all you did and I even tried to use some different VPNs (just made it worse).

Cheers,

Aair

yoshih23
Frequent Visitor

Hello @Aair,

I haven't received a call yet today, so I don't have any updates on that front. However, I did notice on my Xfinity status page (https://www.xfinity.com/support/status) that a maintenance has been scheduled this Thursday morning. I'm curious if you got a similar notification.

I'm going to wait til Thursday to see if anything improves, and if things don't improve and I don't get a call back by then, I'll give customer support another shot. 

Cheers!

-J

Aair
Frequent Visitor

@yoshih23 

Thanks for the heads up on the Thrusday maintenance.  I checked and I see something scheduled from 1 am to 5 am.... I really hope this fixes our issues!

Cheers,

A

trackrat2
Contributor

Also in Vancouver here.  Have been closely monitoring the performance every day for the past week.  early morning, internet is really pretty good-too much latency at times but I will take it compared to later in the day-very little packet loss if any.  Evenings are a train wreck at times.  Up to 10-15% packet loss and spikes above 30.  Hope we get progress with the upcoming maintenance.  

Aair
Frequent Visitor

Hi @trackrat2 , @yoshih23 :  I needed to reboot my modem due to my upstream channel not quite connected properly, but in my preliminary tests this morning, my performance is way better.  Granted it's morning, but I noticed much faster responses.  So hopefully this maintence went well and fixed all our issues.

Pdxwolf
New Poster

I’m also in Vancouver, WA, Felida area, and have noticed high latency and packet loss the last couple weeks. I see that the maintenance completed early this morning. The reason for the maintenance, that I can see, is to add an additional upstream channel to my modem. I now have 5 upstream channels. Anyone else in Portland/Vancouver area also have 5 upstream channels? Hopefully this stabilizes things going forward.
yoshih23
Frequent Visitor

@Aair @trackrat2 Yup, things over here are looking great! Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experiences. It really helped me stay sane in these already insane times!

@Pdxwolf I see 5 upstream channels on my modem now as well. Neat.

@killerhertz Sorry for somewhat hijacking your thread. Odds are you're not in the Vancouver area and you're still having packet loss issues. Like us, you probably exhausted all of the troubleshooting steps you could do on your end and need Comcast to fix their end. Hopefully at the very least you can point to our troubleshooting and eventual resolution when trying to communicate a possible solution to a support agent or a technician. Best of luck!

Cheers!

-J

yoshih23
Frequent Visitor

@Pdxwolf @Aair @trackrat2 Looks like it only took 2 days for things to go down the drain again. Are you guys also losing packets left and right again?

trackrat2
Contributor

Not as bad but yes-didn't take 2 days for me to start having issues.  Peak hours are still hit and miss-just not quite as bad as before.  Mornings are still pretty good.

I have been collecting back-up data of my experience to share back with Comcast as well.

Aair
Frequent Visitor

@trackrat2 @yoshih23 @Pdxwolf 

I'm not sure but you but for me today is terrible.  I would say overall since they did the maintenance, it's been better but today... ugh.   I know other people in other parts of Vancouver are having issues all week long this week.   I'm pretty tired of all the issues.  I would rather have stable yet slower speeds than what is going on.  I saw you ping plots trackrat2, so keep those up.

trackrat2
Contributor

Any update on your service?  I am still experiencing unstable internet.  still appears to be bandwidth related.  

trackrat2
Contributor

Packet Loss during afternoons-evenings

My last thread was locked for some reason.  Have been having issues with large spikes of packet loss and latency.  Been working with the executive customer service team but no solution yet.  Believe they are working on adding an additional node but this has been going on since end of last year.  I startng tracking my experience in ping plotter in March.  Modem stats are in spec.

Equipment is fairly new and I worked the troubleshooting guide here as wel..

Going to continue to document my experience here for what its worth..  Maybe my experience can help others solve their concerns.  Unfortunately for me, there isn't a fiber option. in my area....yet....

Hopefullly the network group at Comcast will be successful in solving the service issues.

Morning internet is great but unfortunately my work and other usage isn't always at 6am.

Examples below but I plan to be more diligent about documenting-the good, the bad and the ugly....

5-30-2020 10-01-37 PM.png
5-21-2020 6-13-05 AM.png
6-2-2020 6-22-09 PM.png
trackrat2
Contributor

Re: Packet Loss during afternoons-evenings

Signal has been really poor again the last few afternoons.   Here's today.  This is really getting old.

I know the Comcast network team is working on it but its hard to do much of anything online when the signal has this much PL.

6-7-2020 6-43-33 PM.png