Community Forum

Hidden SSIDs

Frequent Visitor

Hidden SSIDs

Oh, Comcast, why must you have all these secrets?

My router appears to have 3 hidden SSIDs.  I have the "public" SSID disabled, I think, but to tell the truth I never saw it before I disabled it.

So what are these hidden SSIDs for?  Same channel, MAC address only one character different.  They need to be transparent about all of this.

Expert

Re: Hidden SSIDs

The "Hidden" SSID is for associating / interfacing their home security systems with the home network / internet. AFAIK, those can't be disabled.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Hidden SSIDs

Wow, that's what they are for? I know exactly what you're talking about. I just typed up in notepad what they all are and just for my own privacy I'll chance or block some digits of the actual MAC addresses. Things to note if they aren't made clear ahead of time: these all come in with a signal strength of 100 percent or so, or all are equal to my actual BSSID (2.4 and 5 Ghz for me are the same ESSID but ofc different BSSIDs)

Suspicious Wi-Fi Networks With BSSIDs Similar to Home Network
and Signal Strengths all 100/100
5:31 PM 9/15/2019

[HomeNetworkName] Ch 11 AES N,G
WPA2 Pre-Shared Key
C8:5D:A0:88:2D:93

[Home Network Name] Channel 149 AES WPA2 Pre-Shared Key
C8:5D:A0:88:2D:94

Names Hidden:

1) Channel 11 TKIP/AES N,G
1A:5D:A0:88:2D:93

2) WPA 802.1x/WPA2 802.1x *Ch 11*

FA:5D:A0:88:2D:93 (N/G)

3) [5 Ghz]
All Channel 149

a) TKIP/AES |WPA 802.1x/WPA2 802.1x
3A:5D:A0:88:2D:94

b) TKIP/AES | WPA Pre-Shared Key/WPA2 Pre-Shared Key
1A:5D:A0:88:2D:94

c) (100 percent signal strength like the others but has the ESSID "XFINITY")
AES WPA2 802.1x
2A:5D:A0:88:2D:94

If this was something malicious or to do with surveillance you'd expect it to be covered up more, and not some blatently obvious (to the moderately tech-savvy anyway) sequential differences in BSSID, haha.

Also notice they're all different in terms of whether they're AES or TKIP and AES and even WPA2 802.1x  which as far as I know I've never used in my life, as it's a little more complicated to set up than plain old WPA2. Glad to have found your post and see that it's not old at all.