Community Forum

Help with unstable connection

Frequent Visitor

Help with unstable connection

Hello,

I have been having connectivity issues for a few days, most recently after my entire apartment community lost xinfity services temporarily.  It was fixed a few hours later but ever since then my connection is very unstable, the modem is getting constant T3 timeouts.  I live in a one bedroom apartment that only has one a single working outlet for a connection, straight into my modem.  I only have internet services.  My signal levels for the modem's downstream were so high I was informed by another agent to use a 6db forward path attenuator, to decrease my downstream power level and not increase my upstream power level because its already in the high 40's.  My power level is more acceptable now, but when I used to have a splitter attached to connect to my cable box the signal's would be so bad I would lose TV services intermittently.  I dealt with it for a long time, but now I can barely get my homework done and I need a stable connection for school.  I am graduating in 6 weeks and moving across the country so would love to avoid paying any type of technician fees, so I have provided as much information as I can.  I own my own TP-Link 7610, and Asus RT-N66R router.  Connection is the same wirelessly or wired directly from the modem.  I attached links to photos of my modem signals.  Please help, thank you!

Modem Screenshot (system log)
With 6db Forward Path Attenuator
Without 6db Forward Path Attenuator 

Edit: For clarification, I have been using the attenuator for months without issues, my signal was actually stable for about a month with maybe three T3 timeouts in 30 days.  More recently, I have had at least three T3 timeouts in a day.  I haven't changed anything in my network.  The only change recently was that my whole community was without service due to a down line or node(?).  My aparment building is shared with three other tenants, two of which recently moved out within the past two weeks as well.  These are the only changes to my home network.  My cable modem downstream power levels have always been around 8-10 without a "forward" path attenuator. I've assumed that the signal into my apartment is probably not optimal and split between the three other tenants in my building, but recently it has been unmanageable. 

Expert

Re: Help with unstable connection

For a test, leave the attenuator out for a while and see what happens. You may not need it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

For a test, leave the attenuator out for a while and see what happens. You may not need it.

I will try that.  I previously was having an issue with modem reboots because the power stream signal was too high and my upstream was over 50.  Thanks. 

Expert

Post back with how it goes.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Still dealing with some issues, not as bad. Only three T3 timeouts the last two days but i noticed that my Upstream power is still hanging up there.  I notice that those numbers are higher when it is hotter outside, I am in Florida.  My Upstream Power Level still hangs around 47-49, if it's over 50 my connection is very unstable.

Official Employee

Hi mpetcoff284, I would like to review signals on my side for you. Please send me a private message with your full name to begin. 

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi mpetcoff284, thank you for working with me through private message and please feel free to reach back out here on our Community Forums if you need assistance in the future.

Thank you for your time!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

If there was a solution here, can it please be posted publically so that all readers here may benefit ?