Community Forum

Help with MoCA adapter setup

New Poster

Help with MoCA adapter setup

I just purchased a MM1000 MoCA adapter from amazon. I am trying to get Ethernet over coax for my Xbox.

I have a TG1682G from Comcast and I’m aware it has some sort of MoCA capabilities although I’ve read many mixed explanations for it.

Basically when I turn on MoCA from gateway settings my set top boxes start acting goofy and disconnect. Not only that but the Ethernet connection over coax (with MoCA enabled) from the adapter to my Xbox has extremely high packet loss and disconnects frequently.

I’m also aware that MoCA gets turned off by Comcast randomly. So what are my options?

If I buy another adapter for the router end will everything work? Will it work with MoCA disabled?

Do I change my coax main splitter? Will adding a PoE filter fix it?

What if I connected a router to the WAN port on the gateway? I’ve also heard Comcast can whitelist you to have MoCA always enabled.

Any advice will help. Thanks!

Expert

Re: Help with MoCA adapter setup

I don’t have any issues with set top boxes acting funny with a gateways MoCA on. However, you should absolutely have a PoE filter on before the first splitter for your house.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Does your "Preferred Network Controller" say yes in gateway settings?

New Poster

https://imgur.com/Z7GSRnt

Highlighted is my MoCA adapter

Expert

Mine is set to yes but, first I would check that you have a POE filter installed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yes, I have the PoE installed but still having same issues. My preferred network controller is set to no how do you get it to say yes?

Expert

Let me see if I can find an employee who can assist.

New Poster

Awesome thank you so much

New Poster

I had a tech change it to yes and he enalbled moca but I'm still getting high packet loss and Teredo IP address error

Expert

It is possible the drops are being caused by the Intel Puma chipset that has latency issues. Have you tried rebooting everything?

Expert

@Andrea5 wrote:

Do I change my coax main splitter?!

To answer this. You need a MoCA compliant splitter (5 MHz to 1675 MHz) such as this;

https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0

Maybe you need more than just a two-way for your needs.