Community Forum

Help with Adding Both Customer Owned eMTA and Modem

New Poster

Help with Adding Both Customer Owned eMTA and Modem

I recently upgraded from 150Mbps Triple Play to 400Mbps Triple Play.  However my Arris TM822G only supports up to around 250Mbps.  For this reason, I purchased a Motorola MB8600 which supports up to Gigabit speeds.

I want to have my eMTA provisioned for voice only and the modem for internet.  I tried calling phone support but the CSR said that I can only have one customer owned device: either the eMTA or the modem.  The other device would have to be leased.  I'd really prefer not to go back to leasing as I recall having to go to customer support multiple times to make sure my eMTA was not being charged for when I originally added it several years ago.

I've seen other customers here that were able to get both devices on their account as customer owned.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Expert

Re: Help with Adding Both Customer Owned eMTA and Modem

I’ve you tried self activation of the MB8600?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Help with Adding Both Customer Owned eMTA and Modem

I was initially apprehensive about proceeding with self activation because I didn't want to unintentionally knock out either my voice or internet service.   This was my reason for going through phone activation with a live CSR first.

But I suppose you speak from experience with this so I went ahead with the web page self activation after reading your suggestion.  So far it seems like I've kept both my phone service via eMTA and I have internet through the modem.  I'm getting the 400Mbps and then some so I'm happy about that.  I'll have to keep an eye on my service to see if either gets cut off or if I've also incurred a device rental fee again.