Community Forum

Help Please Packet Loss and Latency issues -UPDATE

Frequent Visitor

Help Please Packet Loss and Latency issues -UPDATE

Hello Everyone,

I've been dealing with a connectivity issue for the last month. I'm currently on the Blast Pro package and normally have speeds of 300 mbps down and 15 mbps up. For over 2 years I've never had any issues with streaming, uploading or gaming until now. First thought was well our modem and router are about 2-3 years old might as well upgrade and see if that helps. So I spent the 400 dollars on a new modem, router and Cat5e ethernet cables. Ended up getting the Arris SB6183 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 router which unfortunately did not fix the issue.  I purchased ping plotter and with their help as well as Ubisoft performed a traceroute on one of the Ubisoft game servers in which I'm getting severe latency spikes and packet loss. 

I finally decided to chat with Comcast using their online chat service. I explained the issue I'm experiencing and offered to show the rep the traceroute data and also that I just purchased a new modem, router and Ethernet cables.  Unfortunately I did not get to much help because they tried to sell me on upgrading my service and renting one of their modems. I ended up just telling the Rep I'd try calling the 1 800 number during normal day hours.   Eventually called the 1 800 number and the Rep on the phone understood the situation and offered to send a tech out right away. Tech ended up replacing a splitter, coax connecters and installed what believe to be a noise filter between the modem and cable. Thought this was going to fix the issue but not soon after the tech left I experienced the same connectivity issue.  My speed tests are vary drastically and one thing I'm noticing is my upload bufferbloat is horrid. On the speedtest app It starts out as high as 60mbps then flucates back down below 15mbps. Don't know how accurate that visual meter is during the test but just something I noticed. 

Looking at previous post I know there  knowledgeable people on these forums so I decided I'd post to see if anyone could help me solve the issue. 

I'm going to try and upload my Modem Status Page and pingplotter data so bear with me

Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Help Please Packet Loss and Latency issues

UPDATE

Okay I finally figured out I could upload the photos.  I included updated pingplotter trace which I still have running and also command prompt ping to google.com which is showing the latency issue. So far on the trace I'm seeing a pattern where packets and latency seem to flatline in the early morning but once 6pm comes the packet loss and latency are bad. Even in the early morning when it levels out there are still sporadic latency spikes.  Packet loss and latency start hop 2 and continue to final destination. 

Also I called comcast again today and there going to send another tech out Sunday to see if they can narrow it down. 

Frequent Visitor

Service/Connection is really bad today. Tech will be here in the morning, really really hope they can figure this out. This is exhausting dealing with. Decided to traceroute the comcast mail server for about an hour when the service was at the worst.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/hzOpmND.png[/img]

Pingplotter comcast mail server.png

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi, B_Lilly. Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We can help! Your downstream power levels seem a little low. How did the technician appointment go?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

The technician did come out and he was very professional and did as much as he could. I was worried that the experienced techs would have the weekends off but he said he was a twelve year employee so I was grateful for that. 

The technician said hes seeing upstream interference and that he was going to notify a maintenance crew. He said there was reported issues in the neighborhood. I'm not sure if the tech actually replaced/installed anything but since he left the packet loss and latency has not been nearly as bad.  I'm still only seeing max download speeds of half of what they were at before this issue started over a month ago. Upload speed has been the same but still fluctuates.  I had to power cycle the modem and router tonight due to connection issues again so I'm thinking maintenance is still ongoing? 

After power cycle tonight I noticed these in the event log

Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
Tue Feb 26 21:48:38 2019 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
Tue Feb 26 21:49:49 2019 Warning (5) Unicast DSID PSN startup error

Also heres updated info on modem status

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK  
Security Enabled BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled Allowed  

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Corrected Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 17 591000000 Hz -8.4 dBmV 36.6 dB 14 0
2 Locked QAM256 31 675000000 Hz -10.2 dBmV 35.1 dB 89 0
3 Locked QAM256 18 597000000 Hz -8.3 dBmV 36.7 dB 14 0
4 Locked QAM256 19 603000000 Hz -8.5 dBmV 36.6 dB 21 0
5 Locked QAM256 20 609000000 Hz -8.3 dBmV 36.7 dB 14 0
6 Locked QAM256 21 615000000 Hz -8.8 dBmV 36.4 dB 33 0
7 Locked QAM256 22 621000000 Hz -8.8 dBmV 36.4 dB 37 0
8 Locked QAM256 23 627000000 Hz -9.3 dBmV 36.1 dB 41 0
9 Locked QAM256 24 633000000 Hz -9.3 dBmV 36.0 dB 56 0
10 Locked QAM256 25 639000000 Hz -9.7 dBmV 35.8 dB 60 0
11 Locked QAM256 26 645000000 Hz -9.6 dBmV 35.9 dB 49 0
12 Locked QAM256 27 651000000 Hz -9.6 dBmV 35.9 dB 50 0
13 Locked QAM256 28 657000000 Hz -9.7 dBmV 35.7 dB 46 0
14 Locked QAM256 29 663000000 Hz -9.8 dBmV 35.6 dB 76 0
15 Locked QAM256 30 669000000 Hz -10.1 dBmV 35.5 dB 68 0
16 Locked QAM256 16 585000000 Hz -8.0 dBmV 36.9 dB 11 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 44.2 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 42.7 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 17300000 Hz 41.9 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 42.2 dBmV

Current System Time: Tue Feb 26 22:40:20 2019

Expert

The downstream power levels are weak and worse than they were in the first picture. Suggest that you get the techs re-involved until it is fixed correctly. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Thank you for the additional information, B_Lilly. Good morning by the way! The maintenance requests can take a few days to get worked through, especially if they require certain types of equipment repair outside of your location. I would be able to tell what exactly was done during the appointment by pulling up your account and viewing the details of that most recent technician visit. I would also be able to view the maintenance request that was opened by the technician to monitor for completion. If you would like me to do either/both of those things, please send me a private message including your name. Otherwise, I would allow 3-5 more days on your end to see if your connection/logs/signal improves. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Message sent. Thank you for the response

Official Employee

You are most welcome. I have gone ahead and replied back. You're welcome to get back to me at your convenience.

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE ----- 3/10/19

So I thought I'd update the situation as it sits. ComcastMorgan contacted me and was helpful in getting another tech out which was visit number 3. Because this issue has been such a headache and I've been getting impatient I decided to buy another new modem the day before the tech visit.  I upgraded to an SB8200 which didn't do anything to fix the packet loss or latency. 

The 3rd tech that ended up coming on March 3rd  was pretty green and on the job for 2 weeks but his Supervisor James Casson Jr. tagged along with him which was awesome. I ended up showing him the ping plotter data and explained that the intermittent latency spikes and packet loss generally occurred between 3pm until midnight. Long story short they really did not find anything concrete. They did end up removing a noise filter that the 2nd tech installed which brought my downstream power levels within spec. The only thing I did hear the supervisor mention which I didnt really understand was one of the upstream channels seemed to have an issue bonding? Either way he said he was going to have a request put in with the maintenance team.  The tech left me the supervisors information and was kind enough to show me the tap in which we found out the 2nd tech installed a temporary new drop line to the house (Very nice of him) 

So after they left I still had the same issue everyday 300 plus ping spikes on all hops and 10-20 percent packet loss. Morgan did send me a message the following day asking how the visit went in which I told him everything i posted in earlier paragraphs. He mentioned that the good thing was the request to maintenance was put in and that's what we wanted. He also told me it would be a good idea to wait to contact the supervisor even though I was having the same issue.  

After four days of not seeing any improvement I messaged Morgan for an update.  I did not get a response the next day so I figured I was going to wait it out until this week was over to see if he responded or if I was going to call the field supervisor.  

So I tried to do some gaming tonight which normally ends with me getting upset one game in due to the severe packet loss and latency. But to my amazement I played four 25 minute matches and I did not see one packet loss symbol or connection symbol in game. Decided to run ping plotter and as of today the traceroute data is looking good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but wow I hope this nightmare is over. 

I'm going to monitor the data over the next few days to be sure the issue is resolved and I hope Morgan can chime in and see what was done by maintenance because I'm really interested in the cause. After doing a ton of reading and searching I'm assuming they had a maintenance tech sweep the plant in which they probably found the issue.  Either way after another few days I'll give another update. 

March 6th PingPlotter

Desktop Screenshot 2019.03.06 - 21.32.39.39.png

March 10th

Desktop Screenshot 2019.03.10 - 22.05.34.95.png

Official Employee

Hi again, B_Lilly. We had been going back and forth via public message up until recently and then I stopped hearing back from you before we could confirm a solution. I have completed the interaction and if you end up needing further support with this, please reply to my most recent PM. Thank you.