Community Forum

Help: Ongoing internet connectivity issues

New Poster

Help: Ongoing internet connectivity issues

Have been having issues with internet completely dissapearing over the last couple of weeks. Done all the customary steps of factory resets on router and modem, chatted with customer support multiple times & all looks good on their side. I have now given up on self help and am having a tech come over tomorrow. Would like to be prepared with all the info on my side so I can ask him/her the right questions and would appreciate everyone's input on my modem's logs & status info... I have a SB 6183:

1) The log shows consistent SYNC Timing Snych Failure

image.png

New Poster

Re: Help: Ongoing internet connectivity issues

2) Here are the channel signal details:

image.pngimage.png

New Poster

3) Lastly the software version:

image.png

Hopefully this gives the experts in the community enough information to provide me with some input on whether the problems is network related or is it time to buy a new modem? 

Thanks in advance!

Gold Problem Solver

@ashkap: The images you posted aren't visible. They all look like this:

HfImgPlcHldr.gif

This is probably because you are a new poster and the image requires moderator approval. That could take a while. If you don't want to wait you could upload the image to a file sharing site and post a link to it here, or post text instead of an image.

New Poster

@BruceW  Are they showing now? I can see them on my side, looks like the moderators have made them visible.

Gold Problem Solver

@ashkap wrote: @BruceW  Are they showing now? ...

Yes. The power levels and SNR at that time were OK, although the upstream was borderline high. It's difficult to interpret the error log when it doesn't include timestamps. The entries there may or may not be normal, no way for me to tell.

If your tech visit is still "on" for today be sure to bring the upstream power levels to the tech's attention. Ideally these should be below 45 dBmV before the tech leaves. Absolute max is 51 for some modems, although others may work OK at 54. In either of those cases the modem is operating at its limits and troubleshooting its connection to Comcast's network should help.

If any of the levels are fluctuating more than a few dB over time, that would suggest an intermittent problem somewhere.

New Poster

Thanks Bruce! It's been a frustrating two weeks... internet was down over the entire past weekend (I am typing this via a hotspot) and the previous weekend also (was up during the week). After several resets the internet seems to be working (checked via ethernet cable) but the 'handshake' to the router is not happening. Maybe the wireless router is busted (although it was working over the past week).

The only big event over the last two weeks has been the arrival of a few out of town guests which has brought the number of devices in the house to 18-20. Maybe that is tipping the modem over? The tech is coming over this evening, hopefully they have some answers!