Community Forum

Hello DarkAngel

Regular Visitor

Hello DarkAngel

Can you walk me through how you set up your Sb8200 with TM722g and added your router?  Mine is a Linksys WRT1900ACS.  Want to use the TM722 for voice and Sb8200 for internet linked to my wireless router.

Expert

Re: Hello DarkAngel

Well, I had to connect each modem to a working cable outlet, made sure they were powered up and working, then called Comcast Activations at 1 (800)-XFINITY , told them I needed to upgrade from my previous device (a leased XB6 gateway)  to an SB8200 for Gigabit Internet and TM722G for Voice only.  Gave them the device MAC ID numbers, then they took care of activation. 

I then connected my (then) ASUS RT-AC68P router to the SB8200, rebooted the modem and the router, and I was up and running in no time. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Got it. Just to be clear. Both modems had to be plugged into a cable line at the same time to facilitate the changes with Comcast ?
Regular Visitor

Can I split my line at the wall source and connect both modems to the split. Any degradation?
Expert

Yes. You can use a two-way splitter but there will be a 3.5 dB loss

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the timely replies. Will that effect my download speeds or voice ( who cares) significantly ? Or should I keep the SB8200 on a dedicated line?
Expert

@silver955i wrote:
Got it. Just to be clear. Both modems had to be plugged into a cable line at the same time to facilitate the changes with Comcast ?

Yes. For one thing, you'll want to make sure they're actually working before you call, and second, the tech can see the modems active on the system so they can be provisioned with the right software. 

@silver955i wrote:
Thank you for the timely replies. Will that effect my download speeds or voice ( who cares) significantly ? Or should I keep the SB8200 on a dedicated line?

I'm not sure what you mean by "dedicated". You only have one cable coming down from the pole to your house, and it's split into different outlets depending on your home layout: you could have 4 or 5, or even just one, cable outlet.

One outlet obviously means you have full signal strength on that line, but being split into two or more weakens the signal on each outlet. Ideally you'd want your data modem to be on the split with the least amount of loss, but without looking at your setup in detail, as a technician would, there isn't any simple way to know that. 

Bottom line is, as long as you have an adequate amount of signal coming into the ports, you should be OK. Worry about getting the modems activated first, then you can tweak your setup later. 

Regular Visitor

Got it. Thanks again.
Regular Visitor

Btw. What I meant, is it ok to split the cable at the wall finished outlet to both the SB8200 and the TM722G? Or should I connect the SB8200 to the finished wall mount plate and hook the voice modem up somewhere else. I understand all of the finished wall outlets in the house come from one central line that has been split multiple times. Just didn’t know if it matter that the line would be split “again” and would I have a strong enough signal for consistent high speed internet? Sorry for the confusion. Non techy here when it comes to this.
Frequent Visitor

Hello...just chiming in to say that using your protocol I’ve had an Arris 822G for Voice and CM600 for BlastPro Internet in service for a year, and the setup has worked perfectly.  I now see that there is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem w/ voice available from Netgear called the 1150V, supporting GBit download speeds, and that you were a beta-tester.  Have you now converted to the integrated modem and retired your two-modem setup?  Just curious.

Highlighted
Expert

@OZ_hamster wrote:

Hello...just chiming in to say that using your protocol I’ve had an Arris 822G for Voice and CM600 for BlastPro Internet in service for a year, and the setup has worked perfectly.  I now see that there is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem w/ voice available from Netgear called the 1150V, supporting GBit download speeds, and that you were a beta-tester.  Have you now converted to the integrated modem and retired your two-modem setup?  Just curious.

Yes, other than a couple of minor GUI glitches, the CM1150V is working perfectly.