Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Have to disconnect and reconnect to modem on every computer startup

New Poster

Have to disconnect and reconnect to modem on every computer startup

Just re-signed with Comcast after two years of being away. Using the same modem as before (Motorola Surfboard SBG901) I'm having connectivity issues. Every time that a computer is started or awakened I get the message that there is no network access. I then have to disconnect from the modem and then reconnect. Then everything works just fine until the computer is shut off - then the process repeats upon startup. Never had this issue the last time we were with Comcast.

I've noticed that the modem is no longer supported but think that it should still work properly. Any thoughts as to how/if this can be corrected? If not, Walmart has a number of modems for sale - which one works best?

Accepted Solutions
Problem Solver

Re: Have to disconnect and reconnect to modem on every computer startup

@bjrbrain wrote:

Kind of expected that I'd have to replace the modem but was hoping that I wouldn't have to. Took a look at the website you suggested but, unless I'm missing something, it looks as though none of the modems listed would allow me to connect my computers and printer wirelessly. I currently connect my devices only through wifi and don't have anything physically connected to a modem. Can you help point me to a cost effective solution?

If you don't mind having a separate modem and router, my personal recommended modem, the rock solid ARRIS SB6183, is being bundled on Amazon with an ARRIS SBR-AC1750 router for $99. The modem and router are $67 and $52 if bought separately.

I prefer having separate devices myself, that way if either the modem or the router breaks down, it's easier and cheaper to replace it than an entire gateway. 

Otherwise, since you're concerned about costs, and if you prefer a single device (gateway), I'd say the TP-Link CR500 gateway will suit your needs well, and it's currently $109 at Amazon. 

There are cheaper, 8x4 modems and gateways out there, but Comcast is phasing them out, and I wouldn't want you to get one only to find it obsolete in a year or so. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman

All Replies
Expert

Hi @bjrbrain,

You'll want to replace that SBG901, I'm surprised it functions at all. Go to  http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com and you'll find a list of compatible modems that work with your speed tier. Be aware that your SBG901 is an all-in-one gateway device. It has both a modem and a router. Your new device will either need to be a separate modem and router or another gateway. We are happy to help if you have any other questions. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Problem Solver

@bjrbrain wrote:

I've noticed that the modem is no longer supported but think that it should still work properly. Any thoughts as to how/if this can be corrected? If not, Walmart has a number of modems for sale - which one works best?

In addition to the above answer by @nerdburg, note that there's a whole new breed of malware (Mirai, Satori, VPNFilter, etc) that targets internet devices like routers and gateways, and anything not supported or timely updated could easily be infected and thus put your network and personal data at risk. Don't wait too long - replace that device ASAP. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

Kind of expected that I'd have to replace the modem but was hoping that I wouldn't have to. Took a look at the website you suggested but, unless I'm missing something, it looks as though none of the modems listed would allow me to connect my computers and printer wirelessly. I currently connect my devices only through wifi and don't have anything physically connected to a modem. Can you help point me to a cost effective solution?

Expert

Yeah sorry, sometimes http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com is wonky and doesn't always return full results.

Anyhow, you are looking for a gateway which is an all-in-one combo of a modem and router. You can also buy a separate modem and router. These are a few that might work for you:

Motorola MG7550

Motorola MG7540

Netgear C6250-100NAS

TP-LINK Archer CR500 (probably the best value)

You might want to go to amazon.com and do a search on "Comcast gateway 16x4"

If you find something you are interested in, check it against http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com or feel free to ask us here. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Problem Solver

@bjrbrain wrote:

If you don't mind having a separate modem and router, my personal recommended modem, the rock solid ARRIS SB6183, is being bundled on Amazon with an ARRIS SBR-AC1750 router for $99. The modem and router are $67 and $52 if bought separately.

I prefer having separate devices myself, that way if either the modem or the router breaks down, it's easier and cheaper to replace it than an entire gateway. 

Otherwise, since you're concerned about costs, and if you prefer a single device (gateway), I'd say the TP-Link CR500 gateway will suit your needs well, and it's currently $109 at Amazon. 

There are cheaper, 8x4 modems and gateways out there, but Comcast is phasing them out, and I wouldn't want you to get one only to find it obsolete in a year or so.