Community Forum

HELP...connecting Netflix to my new router

Regular Visitor

HELP...connecting Netflix to my new router

I called comcast for help and they refered me to this website - said this in not a comcast website but this website can answer all my quesitons?  The error I am getting says I need to check the security setting on the access point? 

Can anyone point me in the right direction - comcast is no help.

Regular Contributor

Re: HELP...connecting Netflix to my new router

Might need a little more info to try to help you.  What kind of equipment are you trying to reach Netflix with? X-Box? TV? PC?  Is it a wireless connection or Ethernet?

EB

Regular Visitor

Our TV.  It is wireless.  Going through our blueray player.

Regular Contributor

You will need to check to make sure that your security settings of your router is not above what your TV is capable of producing. For example if your router is set for WPA2 security your TV may only be able to achieve WPA or WEP. There are three levels of security in order from lowes to highest beginning with WEP, then WPA, then WPA2. Without knowing the age and some more information it is hard to say if this is your situation or not. Generally if you need help you need to give as much info about all the equipment as possible. Like brand and model number of TV and the same for the router. Hope this helps...

EB

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, WPA2 with AES is currently the most secure wireless encryption protocol.

Regular Visitor

Well it is not an old TV as it is 3D.  Maybe 3 years old same with the blue ray player.  It is a Samsung LED/HD.  So, do you still think that is the issue?

Silver Problem Solver

Need more info to say for sure, but it sounds like Encryption Mismatch might be the isue

Do you know how to log into your router and check the Encruption type and pasphrase and then set the TV or BluRay to match. 

Regular Visitor

No we do not - this problem started with the instal of the new router - we had netflix working prior to the new router.  we needed a new router because we kept losing internet connection everyday.

Silver Problem Solver

Can you, just for test, bypass wifi and just connect up with an ethernet cable?

That would eliminate Wireless Encryption issues and Signal strength issues.

Problem Solver

If you have an Arris 862, the wireless firmware is incompatible with many devices and wireless chips and just won't work.

Silver Problem Solver
Moved: