Community Forum

HELP!!!! Extreme Fluctuations in Internet Speed

New Poster

HELP!!!! Extreme Fluctuations in Internet Speed

Hello,

My internet connection is completely  unstable and has been for almost two months now.  I work from home and go to school, both of which absolutely require the internet.  I am paying for BLAST - but receiving less than the lowest package.  My download speed has been as low as ... well just over 0 Mbps, while my upload speed had been staying at roughly Mbps.  As of right now, my download speed is roughly 4, and upload is almost 6.

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/444865084.png 

At times I have over 50 Mbps download and 20 upload, but that is a rare occurrence.

I've purchased new equipment;

• Linksys EA6200 SMART WiFi Wireless AC Router AC900 Dual Band 802.11ac
  • Linksys EA4500 SMART WiFi Wireless Router N900 Dual Band USB 802.11n
  • ARRIS / Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

(Tried both of the above wireless routers)

I am at my wits end with this issue! In reading other posts, it seems that a service call won't help, as they just go through the same things I have ... resetting, new ip, checking wiring, etc, etc.  

I've been a staunch supporter of Comcast for over a decade ... but at this point I'm ready to try someone else unless I get help.  So please ...  if you have encountered the same situation and found a solution ... share with me!  Smiley Happy

New Poster

Re: HELP!!!! Extreme Fluctuations in Internet Speed

I have to agree. I have been having this same issue and it IS very frustrating. Do we know what's happening?

New Poster

Same issue. At around 9:10pm to 10:30pm I have the same issues. Bought a new Netgear thinking it was that but it was not. Also at wits end

New Poster

I too am having this issue. I thought it may have been my extremely long cable wire so I replaced it with a much shorter one, and I am still having the same issue. Paying for up to 50 Mbps and only getting 4 or lower... I just signed up today and I am EXTREMELY  disappointed... 

New Poster

As horrible and frustrating as this is, nice to know we aren't alone. We have had the same problem, about the same amount of time. All new equipment. Denials from comcast, 5 visits. Last one they could see the problem but could not fix it. Probably time for new internet provider...
Expert

hboyce wrote:

Hello,

My internet connection is completely  unstable and has been for almost two months now.....

We need more info please. See http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Re...

I am not an employee.
Expert

Zboffice wrote:
As horrible and frustrating as this is, nice to know we aren't alone. We have had the same problem, about the same amount of time. All new equipment. Denials from comcast, 5 visits. Last one they could see the problem but could not fix it. Probably time for new internet provider...

All internet connection problems have very similar symptoms. As a customer you'll see slow speeds or dropped connections -- which is how all internet/connection problems are manifested. Unless you are on the very same node (your neighborhood connection to Comcast) as someone else, you probably don't have the exact problem as another poster. The majority of problems are local to the user. 

Start your own thread and post more info if you want help.

See http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Re...

I am not an employee.
Contributor

Check for loose coax cable connections all the way to the incoming tap if you have access to the box on your house. Some rare cases the coax cable has come lose from behind the wall outlet or simply twisted off at the modem itself and has a lose connection causing a lot of noise.  Also login to your cable modem and tell us what the signal strength (Power) and noise (SNR) look like for download and upload:  http://192.168.100.1

You should see something similar to this (Select and copy from the web screen, then use the insert code in the message board to paste):

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel	Modulation	Frequency	Power	SNR	Correctables	Uncorrectables
1	QAM256	687000000 Hz	 2.0 dBmV	41.9 dB	0	0
2	QAM256	645000000 Hz	 2.7 dBmV	42.5 dB	0	0
3	QAM256	651000000 Hz	 2.5 dBmV	42.0 dB	0	0
4	QAM256	657000000 Hz	 2.3 dBmV	41.9 dB	0	0
5	QAM256	663000000 Hz	 2.2 dBmV	42.4 dB	1	0
6	QAM256	669000000 Hz	 2.3 dBmV	42.5 dB	1	0
7	QAM256	675000000 Hz	 2.6 dBmV	42.5 dB	1	0
8	QAM256	681000000 Hz	 2.7 dBmV	42.5 dB	1	0

Total Correctables	Total Uncorrectables
4	0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel	US Channel Type	Symbol Rate	Frequency	Power
1	ATDMA	5120 Ksym/sec	36000000 Hz	48.3 dBmV
2	ATDMA	5120 Ksym/sec	29600000 Hz	47.5 dBmV
3	ATDMA	5120 Ksym/sec	23000000 Hz	47.0 dBmV
4	Unknown	0 Ksym/sec	0 Hz	 0.0 dBmV

You can also contact Comcast and ask for a technician to check your signals.

Expert

WeLoveOurBank wrote:

Check for loose coax cable connections all the way to the incoming tap.

What if it is an aerial tap up on the pole. Many, if not most are. Also CC is responsible to maintain the drop cable from the tap to the grounding block / demarc point on the side if the home which is what I think you mean. From the other side of the ground block in to the home is the customers wiring.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Used non-technical terms that mean something different for you.  Yes it could be an aeial tap or someone in an appartment. 

For all we know, it could be a bad power supply on the cable modem or bad modem itself.  Especially if the gound block is not gounded, I've see a few fried cable modems that act flakey and drop power. I've also seen an amp cause the same issues.

It doesn't hurt to recomment checking a few basic things.  Otherwise my last footnote applies, call Comcast.

Expert

Huh ? Are you 

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Logged out of one account into another in a different window, guess it picked up my session.

Contributor

Yep, Logged out of one account into another in a different window, and it picks up my session.

Expert

KevinJohnson wrote:

Used non-technical terms that mean something different for you.  Yes it could be an aeial tap or someone in an appartment. 

Alright FWIW, cable guys know a "tap" as being a multi-connection point that is directly off of the cable plant's mainline / hardline which can either be aerial or if the mainline is UG (Underground) the tap will be located in a surface pedestal.

Expert
Moved: