Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Guidance on navigating a residential -> business class account transfer

New Poster

Guidance on navigating a residential -> business class account transfer

I currently have residential Comcast Internet and TV service. Since 2003, I’ve had a business class AT&T dsl service that I use to run some servers on and for a dedicated VPN for work. 

I’m interested in finally ditching the dsl, which would mean upgrading the Comcast service to business class. 

Research tells me that’s possible, but before I pull the plug, I’d like to get advice on what I need to be aware of or concerned about. 

I did call the Comcast business department tonight, but since it’s after business hours, there were no sales reps available to talk to me. 

Any info or advice appreciated. 

Expert

Re: Guidance on navigating a residential -> business class account transfer

Do you absolutely need static public / WAN IP addresses ? And do you want to be totally immune to their terabyte data limit with its associated overage charges ? If neither of those apply, then you don't need Business Class service.
New Poster

I’m certainly unlikely to ever come close to the Terabyte limit for the foreseeable future. 

However, I absolutely need the statics and the ability to run servers without violating terms of use. 

Expert

wrote:

However, I absolutely need the statics and the ability to run servers without violating terms of use. 

Then you must subscribe to their Business Class service and use their Business Class gateway device. They use the RIP protocol within it to route the static IP's from the WAN to the LAN.

Regular Contributor

Seems to me Gig Pro would also work for a static IP.

$299/mo vs biz charges which are usually a multiple higher for less speed.

New Poster

That’s what I figured. 

I guess i was asking if there is anything I need to worry about in making the transition, particularly as TV is concerned. 

Regular Contributor

I don't think there would be any issues if you went gig pro since they're both rez products.  Biz class though should be a separate account and shouldn't interfere with the TV side.  Either way CC will get some more $ Smiley Happy

Authorized Vendor

@ wrote:

Seems to me not everybody can get Gigabit Pro. FTTH. I can't get it here. The fiber splice box on the plant is too far away.

Yep it is all about your distance to the fibre..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Expert

wrote:

Seems to me Gig Pro would also work for a static IP.

$299/mo vs biz charges which are usually a multiple higher for less speed.

Seems to me that not everybody can get Gigabit Pro (FTTH). I can't get it here. The fiber splice box on the plant is too far away.