Community Forum

Grounding wire at outside box not connected to anything

Regular Contributor

Grounding wire at outside box not connected to anything

Troubleshooting problems with intermittent internet & tv issues. When I checked the outside box found that the ground wire isn't connected to anything & it doesn't appear that it ever was. Is that the way it should be? Thanks!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Grounding wire at outside box not connected to anything

Which end isn’t attached? Wherever it is it should be fixed, you can do it or have a tech out. It may or may not be part of your problems but should be repaired.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

1EAF1475-CF43-4DD8-9BD3-32BC133E53B9.jpeg

Regular Contributor

Pic posted but not showing. Also, found that box cover which has been hanging open since last tech visit has finally fallen off & wiring is exposed to weather. Can reattach the cover at the top but seems to require a special tool to do so at bottom.

Expert

The picture needs to be approved. Could you try uploading somewhere else like Imgur and post the link to it in the meantime until it gets approved?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Never used Imgur. Just set up account, uploaded pic but how do I attach it here?

Expert

Copy the link to it that was given and paste it into the reply box of your next post here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

https://imgur.com/pep5Un9

The ground wire coming in from the right is attached to the meter box so looks like the ground was attached to something at some point. The box itself has been there for 20+ years. I also noticed that the cable coming from the pole which enters the box at top appears to have a 'built in" ground which was cut. No idea when that happened or if it matters. The drop  itself was replaced a few (several?) years back.

Diamond Problem Solver

That “ground” that you referred to is actually messenger wire used on aerial drops to add strength. If the other end of the ground is attached at the meter, the other end goes into the ground block. It’ll take a screwdriver and 2 seconds to fix.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I can do that but since Comcast now wants to send out a tech to troubleshoot issues we're having with our internet & tv service I'll have the ground hooked up then along with putting the cover back on the box. I appreciate the info though!