Community Forum

Got a new modem/router from Xfinity, only 1 device can identify network

Highlighted
New Poster

Got a new modem/router from Xfinity, only 1 device can identify network

My personal modem died and to cover until i find a new one, i'm renting a new model from xfinity, a combo modem/router.  I have two desktop computers.  One sees the network, identifies it (it calls it Network 4), and is visible in the xfi mobile app.   My other desktop can connect to the network and has internet access.  However it identifies the network only as Unknown Network and sets it to a public network

Both computers are connected via ethernet cable.

This is a problem because I need to set port forwarding for my 2nd computer, and if the xfi app doesn't see it, it won't do anything for it.

At first the 2nd computer was connected from behind a desktop switch.  I thought this might be an issue and have plugged it directly to the xfinity device.  This changed nothing.

I rebooted the modem.   This changed nothing.

I manually changed the computer from being in a public network to a home network.   No good.  I rebooted the computer.  No good.   I rebooted the modem.  No good.

So the issue is, how do I force the xfinity equipment (and thus the xfi app) to recognize my 2nd desktop?  Barring that, is there a way to manually enter the settings for port forwarding without having to rely on the xfi app?