Community Forum

Got 2 different answers from xfinity techs re: getting a new modem/router.

Frequent Visitor

Got 2 different answers from xfinity techs re: getting a new modem/router.

I've been given 2 different answers from 2 different techs from xfinity/comcast. I need to replace my modem/router. One tech said to get net gear C7100v. the other tech said to get arris 3482G. who should I believe? I have voice phone, internet, home security through xfinity.  Please advise.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Got 2 different answers from xfinity techs re: getting a new modem/router.

Which speed tier are you subscribed to ? Do you want to rent from them or own your device ?

Frequent Visitor

My account says "Performance Plus Internet download speeds up to 60 Mbps. Xfinity voice unlimited US & Int'l calling. Xfinity Home Security.

Frequent Visitor

In addition to recent reply I made. I want to own my own modem/router.  Don't like renting from xfinity.

Diamond Problem Solver

Well then the 7100v is the retail choice as the 3482 is a rental.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply.  That makes sense since I can't find the Arris 3482G 3.1 anywhere on the web for sale.  Looks like it is an Xfinity item that they prefer to rent by the month.  I don't want to do that.  Did it once & paid more than what I could have bought one.  Thanks again.

Diamond Problem Solver

Quite welcome !

Official Employee

Adding to EG, if you get your own personal modem, you’ll need a tech out to add a Netgear router (with security software) for your Home Security.
Frequent Visitor

the Netgear I bought is a modem/router combination.  You mean I still need another router?

Official Employee

Yes,it’s provided but you need something to run your home security. Your own equipment won’t
Frequent Visitor

So...My present modem/router is an Arris TG862G/CTDOCSIS 3.0 residential voice. (which I own)  The Home Security is working with this.  Maybe I don't really need a new modem.  Comcast sent an email a few months ago & said I needed a new modem/router.  I'm sorry I ever agreed to the Home Security in the previous Bundle.  

Silver Problem Solver

@benlo wrote:

So...My present modem/router is an Arris TG862G/CTDOCSIS 3.0 residential voice. (which I own)  The Home Security is working with this.  Maybe I don't really need a new modem.  Comcast sent an email a few months ago & said I needed a new modem/router.  I'm sorry I ever agreed to the Home Security in the previous Bundle.  

I've upgraded my gateway three times with XHome and have never had an issue.  My first gateway required a separtate Comcast-supplied modem to work.  The current gateway you would get includes suuport for XHome and does not need a separate (free) modem.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: ... The current gateway you would get includes suuport for XHome and does not need a separate (free) modem.

Andrew said the OP needs to add a router, not a modem.

Official Employee

I've upgraded my gateway three times with XHome and have never had an issue. My first gateway required a separtate Comcast-supplied modem to work. The current gateway you would get includes suuport for XHome and does not need a separate (free) modem.

Robert, the OP was considering purchasing his own modem, in those cases, a separate security router is a necessity
Official Employee

So...My present modem/router is an Arris TG862G/CTDOCSIS 3.0 residential voice. (which I own) The Home Security is working with this. Maybe I don't really need a new modem. Comcast sent an email a few months ago & said I needed a new modem/router. I'm sorry I ever agreed to the Home Security in the previous Bundle.

I am trying to upgrade my current modem/router , so I bought a new Netgear c7100v, which is still in the box.  This was recommended to me by Comcast & said it would work with my Home Security.  I have hired a professional to install it so it will work with my 2 wireless printers, Home security, Phone, garage door opene & Ring doorbell.  I am totally confused re: someone telling me I need an additional router for Home Security.  Please help. I have an appt set up for Wed. to install my Netgear C7100V which was advised by the first Comcast tech.