Community Forum

Gigabit speed is less than half when going through Netgear R6260Gigabit router (wired)

Contributor

Gigabit speed is less than half when going through Netgear R6260Gigabit router (wired)

So the tech who installed tested the gigabit speed at the XB6 modem and it's great. Of course comcast makes the modem with only 2 ports. So once I attach my router (Netgear R6260) I'm only getting speeds of 350-400mbps on the comcast speed test.

When I plug directly into the port of the XB6 modem everything is fine. What seems to be the issue?

is this router too outdated for the gigabit speed? Netgear R6260 is a gigabit router and I have tested speeds of 100MB/sec+ with internal wired traffic.

*The computer I have plugged into the Netgear router has an SSD and Intel core i7 processor with 16GB of RAM (it's a gaming PC, it's more than adequate to handle the speeds)

Expert

Re: Gigabit speed is less than half when going through Netgear R6260Gigabit router (wired)

Yep. You need a more modern router with more horsepower And If you are hanging a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls.

You can use an ethernet switch hung off of the Comcast gateway device if you need more than 2 ports.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Gigabit speed is less than half when going through Netgear R6260Gigabit router (wired)

This is the correct answer. The Netgear R6260 does not have bridge mode it it's settings.

Advanced Tab > Advanced Settings

It does have "Access Point" mode. Is this a better option for now?

I sort of wanted to avoid buying a new router until the prices for WiFi6 routers come down. The ~500mbps I get through the Netgear R6260 is more than adequate as most sites you will download from don't have that much extra bandwidth per user.

Which is better for bandwidth "bridge mode" or "access point"

Contributor

Since the Xb6 is a modem and router in one, I am wondering if you just tried the Xb6 built in wifi, after playing with some settings, I get a solid 600Mbs on 8 year old computers running Linux and it's very stable

Expert

It's the Comcast gateway device that you need to bridge, not the Netgear.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thank you for your suggestion. This works if you are in near the XB6 and have line of sight to it with your laptop.

The XB6 is on the top floor. I have a network cable running downstairs. I am thinking of buying a switch or bridge for $30. I don't need wifi downstairs I want all my devices wired (TV, Xbox, etc)

Contributor

Should I buy a network "switch" or "bridge" to connect to my XB6 modem/router?

I have a simple set up.

I have Cat6 cable running down the wall that is plugged into one port of the XB6 upstairs.

Downstairs should I  plug the other end of the cat6 cable to a bridge or a switch?

Currently it's plugged into an old router (netgear) which is slowing it down (2 firewalls, etc). This old router doens't have a "bridge" mode. I don't need wifi downstairs. (the XB6 wifi is enough for that).

Expert

Just use an ethernet switch with the amount of ports that you think that you'll need. Keep in mind that the XB6 can't be in bridge mode if you are going to hang a switch off of it.