Community Forum

Gigabit only available as package with cable TV ?

Contributor

Gigabit only available as package with cable TV ?

I currently have Blast Pro for $59.99/month flat - no taxes (own modem). I'm only interested in Internet. The single cable outlet comes to my home office, nowhere near where any of my TVs are. I don't want a cable box. I don't want a portion of my bill going towards TV stations. And I don't want to pay taxes for TV. I wouldn't mind higher speed including internet if that meant I could use things like cloud backup. The 250 Mbps download speed I get currently is great, but the 12 Mbps upload speed is simply horrendeous.

I just called 1-800-XFINITY, and after a 20 minute talk with a lady in the Philippines, it seems like Gigabit internet is available at my address.

But it can only be purchased as part of a $99 package that includes TV. In addition, upload speed is supposed to be only 100 Mbps .

And apparently, the 1TB/month datacap still applies. I'm not hitting anywhere near that right now (< 100GB/month), however, if I used cloud backup, I certainly would be. But I still would need more than 100 Mbps upload speed.

Does Comcast have any service option that makes sense with decent upload speed and no data cap, or a much higher one ?

Expert

Re: Gigabit only available as package with cable TV ?

What that rep told you was an absolute lie. Gigabit Internet over D3.1 has an upload of 35 Mbps. An unlimited plan is $50 more per month or you just pay the overage if any will apply. Hopefully as D3.1 gets rolled out more, the upload speeds may increase. The only package you could possibly get with faster speed is Gigabit Pro. It is very costly and available in only select areas as long as you are within a third of a mile of the Comcast fiber network. It is a fiber to the home tier. You might need to sign a contract. It could be up to $500 for install which is up to 6-8 weeks and up to $500 for activation. That plan is 2Gbps/2Gbps symmetrical. The cost is different depending on area but as I said that plan is not available in all areas, only selected areas. However this plan does not have the data cap.
Contributor

Thanks, jweaver.

Sigh. Well, 35 Mbps upload speed certainly would be a deal killer for me, I don't see any reason to give Comcast one more cent for that privilege.

It still seems wrong that the Gigabit cable service would only be available as a bundle with TV, though, and not standalone Internet sevice, like the other speed is.

Gigabit Pro (fiber) was not mentioned to me as an option on the phone, but I would be surprised if it's available as I'm in the hills in a fairly remote area (edge of city and county).

Expert

Did you happen to check online to see if Gigabit is offered as an individual plan.
Contributor

When I checked online, Gigabit cable is not offered at all at my address. My reason for calling yesterday was to see if it was actually available. I was told yes, but only with a TV package.

Expert

I wouldn’t believe gigabit is available in your area mainly for the reason of you getting all different information from phone reps and xfinity.com/gig

When the information from more than one place is different I would start doubting how true of gigabit being available.

I would typically wait for it to say it online.
Contributor

The web site has never been accurate for me in the past.

If I click "change plan", it only lists some low speeds, up to 250 Mbps for $149.95/month.

I just ran speedtest and I'm getting 233 down / 12 up on the plan that I already have which is Blast Pro at $59.99 . Wouldn't make any sense to pay that much extra to get the same speed.

I'm on a 12 months contract which is ending soon but still, that is quite a bit of a difference with the price the web site shows .

Anyway, if the upstream is only going to be 35 Mbps, there is still going to be a data cap, and I have to buy TV service, it's pointless. Comcast triple fail.

Expert

I think a better place to get plan information and prices would be a Comcast Service Center. They should always know more over what’s available locally. That’s the only other place to check for availability. A lot of people are hoping that eventually upload speeds may go up to close the gap between download and upload speeds up which I think won’t happen until Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 or Fiber come way closer to homes.
Contributor

Wasn't aware that Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 was a separate spec.

Based on this history, looks like we can expect  it in about 15 years.

http://www.cablelabs.com/full-duplex-docsis/

This is based on DOCSIS 2.0 upload speed of 30 Mbps in 2002, which Comcast is just offering now in 2017, as 35 Mbps up, as part of their "gigabit" plans, about 15 years late.

Expert

Where the main differences between regular 3.1 and full Duplex 3.1 is that the same spectrum used for download can be used for upload which allows 10Gbps/10Gbps. It was supposed to be already part of regular 3.1 but that technology wasn’t ready for prime time at the time. The main problem you won’t see full duplex for a while is because the current 3.1 manufacturers for the chip sets want to “milk the cow” and get the money of what they can while on the regular standard.
Contributor

Guess I'll stay with my DOCSIS 3.0 modem, then. The DOCSIS 3.0 spec should be enough for 1 Gbps down/100 Mbps up anyway, so why even bother going to DOCSIS 3.1 if Comcast is only offering 1000 down / 35 up ?

Diamond Problem Solver

madbrain76 wrote:

Guess I'll stay with my DOCSIS 3.0 modem, then. The DOCSIS 3.0 spec should be enough for 1 Gbps down/100 Mbps up anyway

NOT... Gigabit speeds are only offered through DOCSIS 3.1 compliant systems and equipment.

Contributor

DOCSIS 3.0 is capable of 1 Gbps down / 100 Mbps up .

http://www.cablelabs.com/full-duplex-docsis/

Expert

Comcast will only provision DOCSIS 3.1 modems. The link you provided is for Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 which is a different spec compared to DOCSIS 3.1. To reiterate, Comcast will NOT provision a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for the gigabit tier. They want you to use a modem that can serve above 1Gbps. The reasons are simple.

1. DOCSIS 3.1 is better and
2. They don’t want you operating at limits for any version of DOCSIS. They want you to use devices that can go well over the speed tier given.

They may still activate a D3.0 modem however most likely it will end up being slowed to 25Mbps/5Mbps (performance)
Diamond Problem Solver

Technically it is if there are an adequate amount of bonded downstream channels... The point that I was trying to make is that Comcast won't deliver gig speeds via DOCSIS 3.0. They will only deliver it via a DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel / carrier. And the current spectrum can never deliver 100 up...

Please do your homework before making absolute statements...
Expert

Never said that you can’t get a gig at all through a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Only said they will not provision a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for gigabit service.
Contributor

jweaver0312 wrote:
Comcast will only provision DOCSIS 3.1 modems. The link you provided is for Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 which is a different spec compared to DOCSIS 3.1. To reiterate, Comcast will NOT provision a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for the gigabit tier. They want you to use a modem that can serve above 1Gbps. The reasons are simple.

1. DOCSIS 3.1 is better and
2. They don’t want you operating at limits for any version of DOCSIS. They want you to use devices that can go well over the speed tier given.

They may still activate a D3.0 modem however most likely it will end up being slowed to 25Mbps/5Mbps (performance)

The link I provided has the history of speeds for all versions of DOCSIS in the table at the bottom.

Yes, I can see why they wouldn't want to operate at spec limits, but nevertheless, DOCSIS 3.0 should be able to handle gigabit it in some cases. That is a decision on Comcast's part not to allow it, or how their network is built.

Anyway, this is all pointless for me with a 35 Mps upload speed and data cap.

Expert

There is an unlimited option, you either have to have the right package deal, or pay $50/month more for unlimited data usage.
Official Employee

Hi, madbrain76. I can help review your account to see if Gigabit service is available in your area. I can also help you enroll in unlimited data if you're interested. Please send me a private message verifying your full name, address, and the phone number associated with your account so I can assist. To send me a private message click my name, ComcastMax, and then click Private Message Me. Thank you.

Contributor

jweaver0312 wrote:
There is an unlimited option, you either have to have the right package deal, or pay $50/month more for unlimited data usage.

Unlimited with 35 Mbps upload speed is still as good as useless. I'm already waiting ages to upload my HD video content to youtube at 12 Mbps.

If I upgrade to a 4K camera and the "gigabit" service at 35 Mbps, it will take even longer to upload them.

Not to mention the 10TB+ of data I have that I would like to use cloud backup for which would take a whole month for a single backup at 35 Mbps.

Official Employee

Thank you for working with me via private message, madbrain76. I'm glad I was able to find a promotion for you to upgrade your internet speed that suited your needs. Please feel free to post again should you need assistance with your account's billing and/or service in the future.

Contributor

Yes, thank you for the upgrade ! I wish there were options for faster upload speeds over cable than what is currently available on any of the current plans. I hope Comcast takes that into consideration in the future.

Official Employee

Hi madbrain76,

Thanks for your feedback. I will pass this information along for you.