Community Forum

Gigabit internet speed extremely slow.

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit internet speed extremely slow.

Today after multiple level 2 tech visit to my apartment, finallly a level four gigabit specilist came to fix my slow gigabit internet  speed. But to my surpise the tech was more interested in explaning me that the speed is not the issue but my devices are. He was saying that my month old surface is too old for gigabit speed and every wireless is old and I need to upgrade devices  I have already talked to least 13 customer service rep and they all agreed that there is a signal issue to my apartment  but the level four tech said there is no issue and the customer service rep do not know  what they are talking about. I'm extremely frustrated and helpless. I feel like comcast has monopoly over the area and they just dont care to fix the problem, because they know we as the consumer have no other option for other ISP. It is just unfiar to pay $100 per month for gigabit and receive only 100 mbps max.

Contributor

Re: Gigabit internet speed extremely slow.

#1 Please read the troubleshooting Gigabit speeds at the top of this forum. #2 you will only acheive Gigabit speeds using a hard wired connection with a tested cat 6 cable from your router to computer. I dont think a surface has an ethernet connection that is available. Once you have a device with a Gigabit ethernet connection test it 3 times as a starting point. If your speeds are still slow we can go to #3 Modem signal levels.

Good Luck!

Frequent Visitor

I am not at all expecting 1000 mbps but, atleast close to 800 mbps. And if gigabit speed can only be achieved by hardwire then maybe Comcast should make a new ad for gigabit using computer with hardwired instead of current ad with all devices wireless. And I have pretty much tried everything on that troubleshoot list, the main culprit is modem signal is weak and for some bizzare reason no techs that come to my apartment want to fix the issue.

Expert

@ajwadkamal wrote:

the main culprit is modem signal is weak and for some bizzare reason no techs that come to my apartment want to fix the issue.

Can you post your levels, please?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

How do I do that?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG

Frequent Visitor

7.PNG

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

Seems like no one is bothered to help me.

Silver Problem Solver

@ajwadkamal wrote:

Seems like no one is bothered to help me.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

The signal stats are o/k. Please also post the error / event log entries, What is the exact make and model of the modem ?

Frequent Visitor

Here are the links to the error pictures: https://imgur.com/a/jfPdazI

And the model of the modem is technicolor cgm4140com. The X5 modem router.

Expert

Those are not the error/ event log entries, but having no uncorrectable errors is a good thing depending on the total uptime of the modem since at any rebooting, the counter resets to zero every time that there is a one.

Frequent Visitor

I dont know how to look for error logs. Can you tell me where to look for? And what could be the issue for slow speed?
Expert

They should be in the same general area / tab where you got the signal stat figures.

Expert

@ajwadkamal wrote:

I am not at all expecting 1000 mbps but, atleast close to 800 mbps. And if gigabit speed can only be achieved by hardwire then maybe Comcast should make a new ad for gigabit using computer with hardwired instead of current ad with all devices wireless. And I have pretty much tried everything on that troubleshoot list, the main culprit is modem signal is weak and for some bizzare reason no techs that come to my apartment want to fix the issue.

Comcast has never made the claim that you'll achieve gigabit speeds over wireless on their current network or hardware, ever. 

And as proven by the signal stats you posted, your signals are far from weak, in fact they seem to be coming in very strong. 

New Poster

Not true. I have gigabit and a cat 6 cable and my LAN is more than 50% slower than my WiFi, which is 50% slower than the gigabit I pay for. In fact, when I was with centurylink I was pulling every mb my networks cards could handle. Another fact is that I had faster speeds overall when paying for 1/4 the speed at 250mbps. My LAN was pulling over 300 as was my network card. There’s something screwy with Comcast.
Expert

@LoNBoY1 wrote:
Not true. I have gigabit and a cat 6 cable and my LAN is more than 50% slower than my WiFi, which is 50% slower than the gigabit I pay for. In fact, when I was with centurylink I was pulling every mb my networks cards could handle. Another fact is that I had faster speeds overall when paying for 1/4 the speed at 250mbps. My LAN was pulling over 300 as was my network card. There’s something screwy with Comcast.

Are you the original poster? 

Please post a new thread outlining your issues. This one is two months old, OP has not responded, so I'm closing it.