Community Forum

Gigabit internet not always gigabit..in fact much of the time it is not

Regular Visitor

Gigabit internet not always gigabit..in fact much of the time it is not

I started on the gigabit service about 2 months ago. I have called Comcast numerous times, and even had a tech come out twice. Too many days the speeds on several broadband and ping tests show speeds below the gigabit speed, much of the below 800 mbps. This is simply not acceptable for what I pay for. Comcast needs to do something to rectify this issue, and quit thinking it is just not realistic to expect the service we pay for 24/7! That is bad business and is going to put them in a lot of hot water over sooner time than they think.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit internet not always gigabit..in fact much of the time it is not

@erniecolorado1 wrote:

I started on the gigabit service about 2 months ago. I have called Comcast numerous times, and even had a tech come out twice. Too many days the speeds on several broadband and ping tests show speeds below the gigabit speed, much of the below 800 mbps. This is simply not acceptable for what I pay for. Comcast needs to do something to rectify this issue, and quit thinking it is just not realistic to expect the service we pay for 24/7! That is bad business and is going to put them in a lot of hot water over sooner time than they think.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi, erniecolorado1. Welcome, thanks for reaching out here for support. I can put myself in your shoes and I fully understand your frustration on this. We offer Gigabit service in areas that we're able to support it, so it's interesting that this is an ongoing issue for you. I'd like to pull up your account and do an account review to check everything on our end. I will check the node that supplies service to your neighborhood, I will look at your modem's signal strength and diagnostics, and also check the previous technician visits and any notes that they left. We recommend using this speed test site: http://speedtest.xfinity.com/. Please send me a private message with your name and we can go from there. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your assistance. My name is Ernie. My email is: <Edited: "Personal Information">. If you need a cell #, I need a more private way to exchange it via email or something. I do not want to leave it in the forum. You have my permission to do all you listed above. I need it. I have been having way too many times where it does not stay at top speed like it is supposed to. Thank you in advance for your help.

Regular Visitor

I want to make sure this problem in my area has been fixed. Everything appears ok today, but I will be checking each day. Comcast thinks we wont notice when it drops 100 mbps, but we do, and we check the speed tests daily. I know all my neighbors are.

Official Employee

I have replied to your private message,  erniecolorado1. I will continue chatting with you there for now. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Good evening, erniecolorado1. I ended up not hearing back from you after a bit of back and forth. I have completed the interaction. If you end up needing further support with this, please feel free to send me a private message. We are glad that you're part of Comcast and I appreciate your time. Check out our My Account app if you haven't already to view and pay the bill, check equipment diagnostics and send signals, check for area service interruptions and much more. Take care.