Community Forum

Gigabit internet install requires a new fiber line to house?

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit internet install requires a new fiber line to house?

Looking at upgrading to gigabit internet and have read in the forum that a technician visit isn't always required, especially if I'm providing the DOCSIS 3.1 modem. 

The customer service rep on chat just told me that the onsite installation is required as the technician needs to install a dedicated fiber line to my house?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit internet install requires a new fiber line to house?

Gigabit download speed (if yet available in any area) does not require fiber (FTTH). Only Gigabit Pro symmetrical service if available) requires fiber.

Frequent Visitor

This is just home internet and TV, not a business high speed connection.  But the rep on the chat was very clear that I need to have a new fiber line run to the house as a 2nd line for the gigabit service.  

Contributor

This seems to be a pretty common mistake from the chat people (same thing happened to me). The often confuse DOCSIS 3.1 gigabit with Gigabit Pro. Gigabit Pro requires a new fiber line and DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit does not.
Frequent Visitor

I tried again.

Similar results, and was told that I had to rent the modem from comcast, can't bring my own modem at all and I have to use the comcast modem and installation.

"In that case I would suggest you to please visit the nearest Comcast store .as if we provide you the gigabit to you you need to rent the Xfinity modem and there is also the technician is required ."

Expert

@MI1039 

I've asked a Comcast employee to give a definitive answer and to help you get gig service set up if you like. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks I'll keep a look out for it

It's only $20 more a month but the time to take off work for an install is the headache

Official Employee

Hello MI1039. As it has been mentioned, our Gigabit internet service is not a Fiber (FTTH) service. We utilize DOCSIS 3.1 technology to provide Gigabit speeds through the cable modem. It is true that some areas in our footprint require a professional install of Gigabit service, while some areas can self install. I can assist with reviewing your address and install rules for this service. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account. 

Learn more about Gigabit service here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-most-from-xfinity-gigabit-internet-service