Community Forum

Gigabit installed, now Alexa Radio stations drop

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit installed, now Alexa Radio stations drop

Upgraded to Gigabit Internet, now when listening to a few radio stations via Amazon's Alexa they drop after about 10 minutes. No other issues or drops.

Prior to Gigabit had 150 down / 20 up from Comcast Business - no issues at all.

Now Comcast residential Gigabit - speedtest shows 800ish down / 40ish up.

WiFi hasn't changed - Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite

Previously using CM600 modem --> EdgeRouter X --> Netgear 24 port switch --> UAP-AC-Lite

Now using CGM4140COM -> Netgear 24 port switch --> UAP-AC-Lite

Alexa playing through same Fire 8 tablet

Only logical explanation is the all in one wonder aka CGM4140COM does not like Alexa.

should note Amazon playlists work fine - I beleive they buffer while radio from Tune-In & iHeart Radio don't.

Expert

Re: Gigabit installed, now Alexa Radio stations drop

If you have QoS and DPI enabled you might want to turn those off as those could cause issues with a gigabit connection. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I haven't found QOS or DPI settings for the CGM4140COM.  

Google searches indicate that level of customization is not an option on these rental gateways.  Can't complain - it's not mine so I don't have the right to tweak it.

Expert

You're correct, I mistakenly read the Ubiquiti AP as a router. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I know old post. Replying for anyone who may find this via search....

Resolved by replacing the modem / router combo with a standalone modem & pfsense running on a VM hosted by Proxmox

Been on pfsense for 3 full days, its rock solid stable. No mysterious drops like the all in one gave.