Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Gigabit install, is a truck roll still needed?

Regular Visitor

Gigabit install, is a truck roll still needed?

Hi all, I am considering upgrading to gigabit service. I will be using an mb8600 and my own router. Does Comcast still require a (paid) truck roll for this? I know they can check signals remotely and I need no equipment installed.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Gigabit install, is a truck roll still needed?

Mattb1, glad we were able to resolve this for you. Post again if you need anything. 

KenF

All Replies
Expert

Yes, they still require a professional install for Gigabit. Depending on your location, they may also require that you rent their modem for the initial install as well. If that is the case, you can swap it out for your own modem anytime thereafter. 

Regular Visitor

Thanks Nerdburg. I hope they change that policy soon.

Expert

@Mattb1 wrote:

Thanks Nerdburg. I hope they change that policy soon.

Some neighborhoods are not wired as well as others.  I have a friend who was VERY glad he did a tech install and he has some comm experience.

Official Employee

Mattb1, Sometimes we can bypass the tech install in the system and you can install it on your own--but it depends on the area. I would always recommend a tech visit for a gigabit install though, just to make sure you're getting the best speeds you can and would prevent a tech visit later on if there are issues down the line. 

KenF

Official Employee

Mattb1, glad we were able to resolve this for you. Post again if you need anything. 

KenF