Community Forum

Gigabit Upgrade

New Poster

Gigabit Upgrade

hi - I recently upgraded to Gigabit speed and currently using CM1100 from NetGear.  I was hoping to use one Ethernet port directly connected to my PC and the other to an older NetGear WiFi router.  However I was told by NetGear it is not possible to do that, and the ports can only be used for aggreggation.  Is this right? Has anyone used CM1100 in the above configuration?  Have noted SB8200 has two ports as well, can we make this one work per my requirements above?

Appreciate your help.

Expert

Re: Gigabit Upgrade

I've read on other tech help forums that it is capable just like the 8200 is. The first thing to do is to check your rate card to see if it is even available any longer in your area. They appear to be phasing this out;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the response.  The card does not show any IP address line item.  Any idea if it will be lised as such or otherwise?

Silver Problem Solver

@vinsivan wrote:

Thanks for the response.  The card does not show any IP address line item.  Any idea if it will be lised as such or otherwise?

I have read here that the option is being phased out by Comcast.

I was able to get more ethernet ports by connecting an 8-port gigabit switch to the gateway's ethernet port.

Just google it.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

I have read here that the option is being phased out by Comcast.

@RobertWy 

Already stated that in my reply..

I was able to get more ethernet ports by connecting an 8-port gigabit switch to the gateway's ethernet port.

True but that is for the LAN (private IP addresses) when connecting to the LAN ports of a router / gateway device. Seems that the poster wants an additional WAN (public IP address) for their plain vanilla cable modem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@vinsivan wrote:

That looks like it is no longer available in your area. I'm going to contact one of the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these forums on your behalf to double check this for you. You should get a reply here in your thread.

New Poster

Appreciate the help here with this question.

Will await the response from you/formal Comcast response.  Much appreciated.

And on connecting the 8 port switch - i looked at that option as well, but was not sure if that will lead dropping of speed.  right now if i connect my PC to the modem's ether port, i get almost 960/40 speed.  Do you see the same levels when you connect a switch or is it changing?  Also which switch are you ising with CM1100?

Official Employee

Greetings vinsivan! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. From what I understand, you are trying to use the 2nd WAN port on your modem and you want to know if you could get a 2nd IP for that port? I can certainly look into the this for you and see if that's a possible option. Feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@vinsivan 

Forget about the suggestion of an ethernet switch. That has nothing to do with getting a second public IP address to get the second port on the cable modem activated.

Highlighted
New Poster

thanks, but will be good to know what configuration/setup you are suggesting, incase IP address option does not work out.  Actually even if it works out, i guess Switch will be required to connect other wired devices.  Appreciate your help again.

@EG wrote:

@vinsivan 

Forget about the suggestion of an ethernet switch. That has nothing to do with getting a second public IP address to get the second port on the cable modem activated.

Expert

If you are going to hang a switch off of a straight cable modem, you would need additional public / WAN IP addresses from Comcast for every device that you need online. A switch would need to be hung off of the LAN ports of a router in order to avoid that. The DHCP server in the router would assign as many private IP addresses (up to the subnet's limit of course) to the devices as you need.

Official Employee

Hello, vinsivan. I have not heard back from you and hope you were able to get everything sorted out. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.