Community Forum

Gigabit Speed Not Happening with Chrome Browser on Mac

Regular Contributor

Gigabit Speed Not Happening with Chrome Browser on Mac

Until recently all browsers on our Imac were giving us great numbers on the Speed Tests.  Safari, Firefox all with download speeds in the 950 mbps range.   

Recently the Chrome browser can not get above 90 mbps DL.  The Comcast Tech tested all my wiring, modem and it was all fine.    I deleted and reinstalled Chrome.   Still slow. 

Any help appreciated I had a tech out today that did not solve it.   This is driving me nuts.  

Expert

Re: Gigabit Speed Not Happening with Chrome Browser on Mac

@oregonducks444 wrote:

Until recently all browsers on our Imac were giving us great numbers on the Speed Tests.  Safari, Firefox all with download speeds in the 950 mbps range.   

Recently the Chrome browser can not get above 90 mbps DL.  The Comcast Tech tested all my wiring, modem and it was all fine.    I deleted and reinstalled Chrome.   Still slow. 

Any help appreciated I had a tech out today that did not solve it.   This is driving me nuts.  

Please refer to these threads for ideas:

Also, download the OOKLA Speedtest App for the Mac and see what results it gives you.  This test is not affected by any browser settings, addons or extensions so you'll at least get a more accurate read of your internet speed. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks for reply DA....my issue is only with the chrome browser with speed tests showing around 100 mbps download.

Firefox and Safari when i use the test show DL speeds of over 950 mbps.    And the Mac App Ookla Test you suggested was over 900 mbps as well so thanks for that suggestion!

Again my only question is when i use the CHROME browser for testing speeds why is the reading 10 pct of the Gigabit service capabilities....or is Chrome not giving accurate readings (since it is the ONLY place where i get such readings)   Thanks again!  Smiley Happy   

Highlighted
Expert

There's likely an add-on or extension for Chrome that you haven't disabled that limits the speed. You could try loading Chrome with the extensions disabled and run the test again. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

DA thanks again...i did disable all extensions.    No change.

BUT....i thought i would try an incognito window in Chrome to try the test.    VOILA....speed is now comparable to the other browsers.   I do not get it.

So if anyone knows why just a "normal" browswer window in chrome would show a test speed of  around 100 mbps and then by opening an incognito window speeds jump to 950 mbps.     I would love to know why!    Thanks once again Smiley Happy 

Official Employee

Hi there, oregonducks444. Thanks for posting. Since it's a browser related issue/concern, I do not have an exact answer for you. However, I did come across this post on Reddit with a user reporting a similar problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/69kn0h/on_regular_mode_chrome_is_a_slowass_browser_on/.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Thanks CM appreciate you looking into.    That guy had tons of extensions, I have none enabled.   Just perplexing but I at least know it works Incognito within Chrome.    It is not a Comcast Issue but if possible leave this thread open in case someone else has an answer.   I urge others to do speed test in chrome then do it incognito to see if there is a wild difference.  Smiley Happy 

Official Employee

Yes, of course. I can keep it open for a while, no problem!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi again. Since there was no additional post about this, I will be completing this interaction. If I come across the answer you're looking for in another thread, I open reopen this thread to paste a link to the related content. Thanks!