Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Gigabit Service Philadelphia

New Poster

Gigabit Service Philadelphia

I have talked to several Xfinity reps online, on the phone and in the store about gig service. I have recieved conflicting information about wether I can or cannot use my modem (Arris SB8200). Some say yes some say no. One tech online even said I did not need a tech to hook up the gigabit service (saving 60 bucks for the visit). So I signed up with him placed the order and was told that service would be activated within 24 hours which was not the case. Another told me they had to run fiber but was not too sure of the details. Anyway my question is ehst is entailed in the tech visit for the 1 gig service? Also can I use my own modem Arris SB8200 along with my Lynksys Velop. I do not have telephone service only tv and internet.
Expert

Re: Gigabit Service Philadelphia

First. There is no fiber involved. It is delivered via the existing coax cable.

Second. Many posters here have indicated that they were able to self-install and self-activave their 8200's.

Contributor

Hi Philly,

I am in Maryland and I also signed up for 1 Gig speed 2 months ago.They never told me I needed a Docsis3.1 modem, lol.

So I asked them what modem should I get and they said the SB8200, I had it next day and hooked up but even after that the best speed I get is 267Down/40M up.I have had the modem for 7 weeks and no one at Comcast can tell me why I cannot get the speed I pay for. Maybe I should rent thier modem as it looks like I have no choice.

The SB8200 is on thier supported list

New Poster

Hi I had my service installed Tuesday. I paid 60 dollars for a tech visit and all the tech did was call to have the signal sent to my modem. I used the SB8200 got downloads of around 550. Tech said thats probably the best you can get. Never checked signals or looked at splitters etc. Since then I have had multiple calls and multiple signals resent and still only get around 500. Maybe the tech was right and it is the best I can get.