Community Forum

Gigabit Pro

New Poster

Gigabit Pro

There's an old thread from 2015, but I haven't been able to find something current.  We're moving to Sarasota and plan on getting the Gigabit Pro service and I'd like to know what to expect now. What happens when you pull the trigger, what gear you get, tips on configuring, and what I should get, etc. I work for one of the "Big Three" consulting services and have been in IT for over 20 years, so there's little in networking that scares me. I have my punch tool hiding around here somewhere, but would need a new toner/tracker.

If it's a divided 2 Gb service, I'd like to be able to direct connect my work laptop to a dedicated 1 Gb circuit and have the other for wireless and maybe some direct connection for things like the TV, etc.

Expert

Re: Gigabit Pro

I asked about it back in 2015 but was told I was too far away fo have the service, but from what I remember, it's a direct fiber connection to your home, and you need a 10 GbE interface to get the full speed. You can click here for a more detailed hardware requirement listing. 

Once you call them , they'll run a site survey to see if you qualify for the service (you have to be < 1/3 of a mile from the fiber node), and once it's approved, you're looking at up to a $500 install fee (may be less, depending on how long the fiber run is an other factors), up to a $500 activation fee (depending on what equipment and hardware you have), a $20/mo hardware lease fee for the router (I believe it's a Juniper ACX2100 but I could be wrong), and whatever you'll be paying for the service (I've seen it as low as $150, depending on the market). 

But yeah, you'll have to call them just to be sure, and to get a more accurate and reasonable estimate of the costs and timeline.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!