Community Forum

Gigabit - Modem Rental Required

New Poster

Gigabit - Modem Rental Required

Hello all,

I signed up for gigabit service earlier today and was informed by the sales rep that a modem rental is required.

My thinking is that it actually isn't, since DOCSIS 3.1 modems are easily acquired by consumers at this point, and Comcast publishes a list of approved DOCSIS 3.1 modems on the support site.

Is anyone aware if this is a real requirement?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit - Modem Rental Required

Do you also have and wish to continue using their phone service ?

Silver Problem Solver

I think they like to do a tech visit to check out the wiring is good for Gig, if they insist on installing the XB6, you could always swap it after they leave. Plenty of people have their own D3.1 modem, all you really need is your modem provisioned for Gig.

I'd try signing up to Comcast Direct for a one on one with a higher level tech:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

(that's if you don't have phone, as EG says).

New Poster

That's what I was hoping to hear. My roommate owns the Comcast account at my current place and we're using his modem. I figured it would be the same for the gigabit service, but the word requirement made me think maybe they changed something. Glad to hear that's not the case.

And no I won't have their phone service.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Regular Visitor

So it would be as simple as swapping out their modem for your own modem for gigabit eithernet? I Had a tech install my gigabit eithernet yesterday and, after waiting for 3 weeks for their first available appointment, he knockedf on the door holding a modem. I was like "that's what is required for the install?" I thought they had to put in some special line or something. I have a NETGEAR CM700 (32x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Max download speeds of 1.4Gbps. Certified for XFINITY b.... He told me I had to use their modem. That they had a meeting about it recently and that my modem wouldn't work. 

I just have to plug my modem in and go to their set up page and it should be fine?

I'm confused. And as usual, not happy with Comcast. The woman on the phone I set up the installation with told me I could use my own modem no problem. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Reedly wrote:

I have a NETGEAR CM700 (32x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Max download speeds of 1.4Gbps. Certified for XFINITY b.... He told me I had to use their modem. That they had a meeting about it recently and that my modem wouldn't work. 

I just have to plug my modem in and go to their set up page and it should be fine?

That modem won't work. They will only provision a DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM channel capable modem for gigabit speeds.

Regular Visitor

Yeah, when I typed that in I thought the 3.0 was fishy. The description of it says it can do up to 1400mbs but then it says only good for a 500mbs connection. I ordered a 3.1 this morning and then will try just subbing out there's for mine. Thanks for the quick reply.