Community Forum

Gigabit Internet using own (not rented) modem

New Poster

Gigabit Internet using own (not rented) modem

So, I went ahead and purchased the Motorola MB86000 modem that Comcast clearly states supports gigabit speeds.  When I called to upgrade to gigabit, I was told that they only supported it with rented equipment.  Is this true?  Why?  If so - they should update the device info page to reflect that.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Gigabit Internet using own (not rented) modem

NOT true !! Try another rep.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Slacker3000, you can definitely use an owned modem for Gigabit Internet. You can view the approved modems here: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

If you already have a modem that you've purchased, I'd be happy to help set it up if it's not already active! We're here to help. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, Slacker3000. I have not heard back from you and hope your issues have been resolved. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.