Community Forum

Gigabit Internet - not seeeing anywhere near that...

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit Internet - not seeeing anywhere near that...

Cable from the street goes to a coupler and then through the wall directly into my modem (new rg6 quad cable).

I have tried both a new CM1000 and MB8600 with my laptop wired directly to the modem and have tried fast.com, ookla, xfinity's speed test etc. and i have seen 700ish tops although the speed tests will momentarily spike higher during the test.  Typically speeds are more like 400-500.

I have tried a TP-Link C1900, C2300, and my EERO as the router with no change in speeds when hardwired.

the EERO and C2300 both have speed tests built in that dont go much above the 400/500 range although I saw 700 once on the EERO.

I do have a SUPER hot signal (typically 20dBmV) coming from the pole (told I am right next to an amp) and I am using 18dB of forward path attenuation to get the following signals:

download.PNGupload.PNG I am also seeing the following in my event log...

log.PNG

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

Expert

Re: Gigabit Internet - not seeeing anywhere near that...

One of your upstreams are too high and the others are reaching border line. Are there any splitters before the modem? If so, try bypassing them. I think that 18dB attenuation might be a little bit too much. I think either 12dB or 15dB might do you a bit better.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Cable goes from the street to a coupler and then through the wall (about 6 feet of quad rg6) right into my modem.  No splitters, no TV, just right from Comcast to my modem...

Frequent Visitor

I can pull one of the 6dB FPAs, but my upload signal levels dont change  (these aren't attenuators, but forward path attenuators).

Expert

In that case you might need a technician to modify the amount of attenuation you have. I think they put a little too much on it and cause some problem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Ok. Gotcha. You might need someone out there to get something done on the return path.

Frequent Visitor

my upstream signals do tend to vary on their own though...

currently looking better... they typically stay under 50 but one will creep up at times like in my previous screenshot...

upload2.PNG

Expert

If they creep up like that from low to mid 40s into the 50s then I would definitely say someone needs to look at that to check for some impairment in the return path.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I have a tech scheduled for wednesday...

Tried pulling one of the 6dB FPA's and started getting tons of uncorrectables.  Put it back in and rebooted and no more errors, but still not getting speeds anywhere near gig.

Frequent Visitor

so a tech came out yesterday am and removed a "pad" which fixed the upstream (speed is now 40+ Mbps and signal is low 40's) 

downstream still is 20dBmV or higher with tons of uncorrected errors and he said a line crew would need to look at that later in the day.

Havent seen anyone yet and I have a feeling I won't.

Expert

I am going to escelate your issue to a Comcast employee to help you out as well to keep tabs on it getting done.

Frequent Visitor

thanks!  i tried chatting with support earlier and they said no tech was assigned.  I gave up trying to explain.

Frequent Visitor

Another day with no contact from Comcast and no change in my signal strength or speed... I'm guessing they don't work on weekends either...

Official Employee

Hi RossBiddle, I have responded to your private message.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi Rossbiddle, thank you for working with me through private message and glad I was able to help schedule a technician for you.  Please reach back out if you still need assistance.  

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.