Community Forum

Gigabit Internet installed less then a week ago constant problems with T3 and T4 Timeouts

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit Internet installed less then a week ago constant problems with T3 and T4 Timeouts

Hi so on Monday 8/26 I had gigabit internet installed and for the first 2 days everything was going well. I am an online gamer and have been noticing brief disconnects for no more then 30 seconds at most. It usually happens 2-3 times per day so I went over to the event log of my modem (Netgear CM1000). I notice there are critical alerts for quite a few things which is probably causing the disconnects, here is a screenshot of some of those errors https://imgur.com/a/fwFxKrN .

I did a little bit or research/troubleshooting steps such as making sure all cable connections were tight, power cycling the modem(even keeping unplugged for a few minutes) , and checking signal level. I am not technically inclined on exactly what my levels should be but it seems they may be off. Here is a screenshot of those signal levels https://imgur.com/a/nGQhotS .

When the tech was out I asked him if the signal levels looked good and he said yes, I’m not sure if they actually were or if he was just in a rush to get out of here. There was previous service at this address from Xfinity so everything was all ready to go when he got here. Currently there is a 3 way splitter -5.5dB 5-1002MHz on the line (used to be 2 TVs and 1 modem) now we only have 1 TV and 1 modem but the splitter was not replaced. I have a 2 way splitter -3.5dB 5-1002MHz I tried replacing the 3 way with and same effect with the modem event logs just slightly different signal levels.

The problem consists on my whole network when the internet goes down for those 30 or less seconds. Some other info they may be useful is the modem is connected to a Netgear R6400 Router with a CAT cable for Wi-Fi. Then from the router another CAT6 cable to both my gaming console PS4 and PC. The speeds are coming in fine at ~940 download and ~40 upload.

TLDR; Internet going down for a few seconds a few times a day with critical errors in modem event log.

Expert

Re: Gigabit Internet installed less then a week ago constant problems with T3 and T4 Timeouts

The downstream power is weak and the upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to get the techs re-involved until it is fixed properly. Good luck !!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit Internet installed less then a week ago constant problems with T3 and T4 Timeouts

Adding to EG (we posted at the same time)
The levels are garbage across the board. Changing the splitter out for a 2 way splitter will not make enough difference. It’s possible levels were good when the tech left (we’ll never know). If you need help scheduling another tech appointment let us know

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes I would like to get another tech involved to hopefully resolve this matter.

As for excess splitters and junk gold plated ones I don’t think either of those problems exists. The current splitter installed was supplied by Comcast a few years ago, EXTREME brand.

Thanks guys

Expert

O/k bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled an appointment, tech visit tomorrow hopefully issue is resolved!

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE: Xfinity tech just left after replacing the line coming from the pole to my house (also known as drop?) He told me there was water in the line causing the problem so the line was replaced and now the modem is showing power levels in the correct range! 

He was shocked that the previous tech was even able to leave when the initial install happened, everything was in red on their testing equipment. None the less everything seems to be fine for now, will report back if anymore problems occur within the next 24 hours. Again thanks to EG and CCAndrew for helping me with this matter.

Expert

For curiosty's sake, can you post what the signal stats look like now ?

Frequent Visitor

Expert

It's better. Not great, but better. Hope things hold up for you. Good luck !