Community Forum

Gigabit Internet and Splitters

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit Internet and Splitters

So upgraded my home internet to triple play with gigabit speeds. Total devices connected to coax is 4. One HD DVR, one HD cable box, Netgear CM1000 for Internet and Arris TM822G for voice. Coax comes in from the pole and goes under the house and then up through the floor in the bedroom. It then hits a 3 way unbalanced splitter with the one of the -7db outputs feeding the hd dvr and the other one feeding the hd box, the -3.5db output is feeding about 50ft of coax around the exterior to a separate room where it then hits another splitter to feed two -3.5db outputs to the data modem and the Voice modem. Up until today my modem was in the bedroom directly off of the -3.5 output of the first splitter and I was getting 695Mbps down and about 40 Mbps up. The technician came today and ran the line to the other bedroom so I could move my modems into there and now I am only getting 300Mbps down and 40Mbps up. He said the signal degradation shouldn’t be that much and that there was a storm nearby that happened that is probably causing the lower speeds currently. Would love some insight on if the additional 50ft of cable and the additional splitter would be causing the drop in speed? Also if that is the case is there an amplifier or something that I could purchase to lower the signal drop that I am experiencing? None of the modem or router settings changed today just the additional cable and additional splitter were added. Thanks for any help
Expert

Re: Gigabit Internet and Splitters

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I won't be able to get that information until thursday. I'm out of town currently. Is there any other information I can give you? Would a commscope amplifier be useful in my situation and could I install that in place of the splitter?

Expert

@Tgroom89 wrote:

Would a commscope amplifier be useful in my situation and could I install that in place of the splitter?

It would depend on the current power levels / SNR.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Alright here are photos sorry for the delay. Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.05.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.05.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.05.39 AM.png

Frequent Visitor

Got home from my trip today and ran another speed test and I am only getting 250 Mbps down and barely 12 Mbps up now. Please help!
Expert

The power levels are fine, you don't need an amp. Something else is going on. 

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router with an ethernet cable have the same problem ? What is the make and model number of your router if you are using one ?

Frequent Visitor

I spoke with support today and they tested the modem and said it was a problem with the modem and they are sending a tech out tomorrow. But mysteriously after I got off the chat with them my speed has been hovering around 550-650 and 40 upload so they did something. Still not gigabit but definitely better. All my tests were hard wired. My router is a netgear ac1750 r6400 v2
Expert

@Quicksilver8907

Are you the original poster ?

Frequent Visitor

Yeah I am sorry. Was logged into wife’s account
Expert

No worries. What speed do you get with a direct connection to the cable modem (no router in the mix) ?

Frequent Visitor

It’s kinda weird, when I go direct to modem it says self assigned IP address and won’t give me internet.
Expert

You need to power cycle / re-boot the modem.

Frequent Visitor

Rebooted modem and directly connected to modem speeds were the same about 400-600 down and 40 up
Expert

Hmmm.... I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

So Comcast tech just came out and we troubleshooted everything. We changed some cables that had some noise on them and then He put an XB6 in line and it ended up getting 800+ down and 42 up. So I guess the problem is with my cm1000 but I’m just at a loss because because the cm1000 should be totally capable of the gigabit speed! So may try factory resetting the cm1000 and see what happens
Frequent Visitor

So today I did a fully 30 sec reset on my cm1000 and had them reprovision it and I am getting 900+ when connected directly to the modem. When I put my netgear ac1750 in line then it drops to like 300-400. QOS is disabled and I enabled ipv6. Still can’t get over 400 wired through router.
Official Employee

Hi, Tgroom89. Thanks for reaching out here for support! If you're getting 900+ while connected directly to the modem, we can see that the modem is distributing the correct amount of speed. Are you getting 900+ pretty consistently while hardwired, after bypassing the router?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Ended up returning the CM1000 and keeping the XB-6. Speeds were more consistent and decided to get wireless cable box also. Thanks for all your insight