Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Gigabit Internet Speed

New Poster

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

I upgraded to the GB package last week, never got an email saying the order was complete, I bought a new Motorola Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, installed it and my MAX speed I see is 70 MPS, this was directly hooked up to the modem. I chatted with support he said he did some things to my modem but that did not help at all, still going between 40-70 MBPS. 

Any ideas ? 

New Poster

I would like to see what happens with your gigabit service. Im getting the exact problem with mine. Whats funny is before the techs came out I had the 150 service and was getting around 170mbps. Now Im lucky to reach 70mbps. I have my own modem and router same equipment with slower service. 

Problem Solver

@smrick2 wrote:

I would like to see what happens with your gigabit service. Im getting the exact problem with mine. Whats funny is before the techs came out I had the 150 service and was getting around 170mbps. Now Im lucky to reach 70mbps. I have my own modem and router same equipment with slower serviceI 

I have to say that's the one thing I do like about renting equipment from Comcast, at least using their modem.  The fact that they can't say, "well the problem is with your equipment."  It's THEIR equipment so they have to get you up and running at gigabit speed with no excuses.    I've had their Gigabit service for over a year using theiir modem and my router with no problems at all.  But if the speed should ever drop and I connect directly to their modem by Ethernet and it's still not better, it's 100 percent THEIR problem with no excuses possible on their part. 

New Poster

I am having the same exact problem. Extemely disappointing. Hopefully they can do something to fix this - don't really have time to waste having a tech come out to tell me that my (approved) modem won't work and try and sell me on renting one, that still won't solve the problem. 

Regular Contributor

@adsme wrote:

Hi,

I recently subscribed to the gigabit service. However, my speeds when connected directly to the modem (Arris SB8200) are only around 400Mbps. Sometimes I have been able to get around 550 Mbps. On upload I do get the 35Mbps. Comcast sent out a technician to verify that the cable was okay and the SNR was good. Comcast also looked at the bootfile on the modem and everything looked good but couldn't give me a straight answer why the speeds weren't upto the mark. Beyond this I'm not quite sure why then the modem would not be able to get close to the gigabit speed. Is there a comcast representative here that can comment on this?

Thanks in advance!

What speed test(s) are you trying?
In addition, try http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest as well as http://fast.com  Fast.com isn't super accurate but I get quick high-speed results with it as it comes from Netflix colo servers inside Comcast.  I'm just curious if it's your last-mile speeds or a bottleneck up the chain?
Though I appear to get 950+Mpbs, I don't always get anywhere near that speed because the site I'm pulling from either doesn't support it, or there is a bottleneck upstream that prevents full bandwidth.

Contributor

Getting mine installed on Saturday. I think I got a pretty good deal $213 for TV, Phone, Unlimited Gig, and Home Security doesn't sound too bad for me. I'm just looking for the modem and since we're a gaming family (between my 2 brothers and I, we have 6 consoles), we need the best we can get. I think I will also have to upgrade the router (Currently have a Nighthawk R7000) so if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Contributor

my nighthakw from comcast all ways drop wifi and stops many people you cant use other wifi as xb6 have almsot full coverage or you need the mesh orbs to rent from xfnity

Frequent Visitor

I was just offered the 1Gig speed (not pro) for $89/month for 2 years....I don't know if within that time the price could come down but I'd be locked in. Anyone know if this is a good deal? I'm currently paying for Blast Pro + unlimited phone service (not important to me) for $89.99....contract ends in July 2018. 

My other dilemma is the allowable data per month. I just switched to TV streaming service and my concern is my data threshold will exced the 1TB so might have to add the $50 unlimited service. I thought I was going to save alot of money by going to streaming service but looks like I'll just be saving a little. 

Frequent Visitor

I may need to add the unlimited usage after adding streaming TV service. I still have a pass left for overage. Any chance the $50 fee goes up by next month?
Frequent Visitor

What is your usage been for the past couple months?  Or did you just switch to streaming?  

IMO - They are smarter than the streamers. Smiley Happy  Unless you only switch to one service, you might not be saving money.  For me, I could switch to streaming but I like HGTV and local channels.  To get that on streaming, my internet price would go up and I have to add on the streaming services.  I would break even, so I stuck with my double play and can use my tivo DVR to skip commercials and not forced to watch them like on some streaming services. 

Frequent Visitor

@cdr_pfeif wrote:

What is your usage been for the past couple months?  Or did you just switch to streaming?  

IMO - They are smarter than the streamers. Smiley Happy  Unless you only switch to one service, you might not be saving money.  For me, I could switch to streaming but I like HGTV and local channels.  To get that on streaming, my internet price would go up and I have to add on the streaming services.  I would break even, so I stuck with my double play and can use my tivo DVR to skip commercials and not forced to watch them like on some streaming services. 

With DirecTV satellite service + Xfinity internet we were averaging about 600 - 700GB a month of data before the switch. With the DirecTV satellite service we were also using Netflix, Prime, and Hulu also. I switched to DIRECTV Now (testing them with a 3 month promotion). With us already averaging 700-800GB, I figured for sure we'll surpass the 1TB limit. The DirecTV Now service is $35/month after promotion ends so not bad I guess. I was paying $120 for satellite and maybe only used it 30% of the time anyway because we also had Netflix, Prime, and Hulu. The kicker though is I'll need to add the unlimited data for $50/month which will creep up my bill. Unless I go with Xfinity Instant TV which doesn't use data if your watching on your home network but after adding the channel options I like the by sky rockets. So I'm in a dilemma right now.......

New Poster

@dgparent wrote:

I upgraded to the GB package last week, never got an email saying the order was complete, I bought a new Motorola Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, installed it and my MAX speed I see is 70 MPS, this was directly hooked up to the modem. I chatted with support he said he did some things to my modem but that did not help at all, still going between 40-70 MBPS. 

Any ideas ? 

So I had another tech on today and he fiddled around with my modem and managed to get me up to over 900 MBPS, I will take that.

Problem Solver

I've had the service for over a year.  My standard speed is usually around 940 Mbps.  You're doing fine.

Expert
Contributor

Im having trouble with my internet. Can't get above 350mbps with the occasional spike to 600. Netgear has on their website that I shoud be on the 3.01.17 firmware for my CM1000 but I'm on the 3.01.04. can anyone let me know what firmware you're on?
Contributor

Of course my area Memphis isnt even listed.
New Poster

So this is what I get for Gigabit speeds?

This is garbage!!! Oversubscription?? Was working great at 11PM last night!

THis was last night late and was good.

So yes, I would say you are VERY over subscribed.

Current signals are great.

Screenshot from 2018-04-11 19-06-07.png

New Poster

Where's the Gig you speak of??

Expert

@ropeguru1 wrote:

Where's the Gig you speak of??

Start a new thread.

Regular Contributor

@regdawg1 wrote:

@cdr_pfeif wrote:

With DirecTV satellite service + Xfinity internet we were averaging about 600 - 700GB a month of data before the switch. With the DirecTV satellite service we were also using Netflix, Prime, and Hulu also. I switched to DIRECTV Now (testing them with a 3 month promotion). With us already averaging 700-800GB, I figured for sure we'll surpass the 1TB limit. The DirecTV Now service is $35/month after promotion ends so not bad I guess. I was paying $120 for satellite and maybe only used it 30% of the time anyway because we also had Netflix, Prime, and Hulu. The kicker though is I'll need to add the unlimited data for $50/month which will creep up my bill. Unless I go with Xfinity Instant TV which doesn't use data if your watching on your home network but after adding the channel options I like the by sky rockets. So I'm in a dilemma right now.......

Somehow we've managed to stay below 1TB.  Once I go over and have to pay $50 extra, I'm not sure internet only services are still as cost effective as doing a cable double-play.  It really all depends on your situation what you pay for and how you use it, though.  I cut DirecTV satellite as well but I'm also using an antenna and Tablo DVR for all local/network content and only using my PS Vue service for sports and a handful of "cable" channels.  Also there's just my wife, me, and my young daughter so our streaming hours are relatively limited at this point.

Regular Visitor

Tupelo, MS store has a sign in the window that says Gigabit Internet is Here. I go in and ask and they say no it’s not here yet... 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ any idea when it’s coming to the area?
Contributor

Tupelo, MS store has a sign in the window that says Gigabit Internet is Here. I go in and ask and they say no it’s not here yet... 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ any idea when it’s coming to the area?

That is hilarious. Have you tried calling? The website told me we didn't have it in my area but when I called, we did.
Frequent Visitor

Quick question!

So I upgraded my service to the 1Gigabit connection today, a tech came out install the newer Advanced Gateway the Xb6 gateway.

My question is that when I go to http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ I get 900+ Mbps all day......but when I go to http://www.speedtest.net/ my speeds never go past 500 Mbps....

How come I cant get 900+Mbps from the official Ookla site but I get the faster speeds using the Xfinity Speed test site?

Problem Solver

Are you testing to the same exact server that is on the Comcast network?

New Poster

Having similar problem   Best I can get is 280down, 40up - - - and that's thru my router, the Xfinity cable or WiFi gives me less.

About to call them to change my plan for cheaper plan if I can't get anywhere near 1gb.

Problem Solver

@lmederos wrote:

Having similar problem   Best I can get is 280down, 40up - - - and that's thru my router, the Xfinity cable or WiFi gives me less.

About to call them to change my plan for cheaper plan if I can't get anywhere near 1gb.

Start here, and if you see no improvement, go here and come back with the necessary information. 

The same goes with anyone on this thread needing help with your internet connection. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

@darkangelic wrote:

Start here, and if you see no improvement, go here and come back with the necessary information. 

The same goes with anyone on this thread needing help with your internet connection. 

To all. Yes but create new separate topics of your own here on this board with the requested info please. Do not post individual troubleshooting help requests here in this thread please. Thank you.

New Poster

Re: Got my Gigabit Pro and LOVING it!

Technician told me that I needed at least a i5 or i7 to recieve gigabyte speed.  My network has been gigabyte since the early 2000's....?

Expert

@worldwidelive wrote:

Technician told me that I needed at least a i5 or i7 to recieve gigabyte speed.  My network has been gigabyte since the early 2000's....?

Did you read Comcast's hardware requirements?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service

New Poster

Actually, until you sent it, no, but I have now, and I am unable to, with appropriate equipment, as I described am only able to achieve speeds of 350 Mbps, again, I don't comprehend why if my local lan is operating at around 1 gbs, why integrating a 1gbs internet connection would change anything.

New Poster

Unless your system has a TOE (TCP/IP Offload Engine) card installed (and I don't remember if it's standard in laptops and desktops now), the CPU will handle all the network related requests, thus the requirement for i5 or better. The TOE card works like a GPU, intercepting the IP traffic and processing it before handing it off to the CPU. Without it, the more network traffic, the more your CPU has to work.

I remember TOE cards coming into use in the enterprise when 100 Mb/s was coming into widespread use and 1 Gb/s was just appearing. For servers, TOE cards were almost mandatory to handle the lightning speeds that 100 Mb gave you ;D.

So, just because your network can handle 1 Gb/s, it doesn't mean that your laptop can.

Contributor

is there any one you can send messgae on forum to get gigabit pro multi gig

Expert

Best way is to call 1800comcast.

Official Employee

is there any one you can send messgae on forum to get gigabit pro multi gig

i am  being wating for days no one told me anything i got my money ready 

Official Employee

Hello patricia2626,

I can check your account from here, can you provide me with your full name and phone number or account number? To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed Don't get your hopes up too high, My speed is only reaching 57mb

I got the same deal with the Blast Pro and I'm lucky to get 57mbs and that's with their equipment. Seem like it gets slower and slowr to where my games take over 10 min. to load I'm about to trash it all in.

Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed Don't get your hopes up too high, My speed is only reaching 57mb

@sherry177520 wrote:

I got the same deal with the Blast Pro and I'm lucky to get 57mbs and that's with their equipment. Seem like it gets slower and slowr to where my games take over 10 min. to load I'm about to trash it all in.

Post your issue in a whole new thread, and refer to this post for information. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Official Employee

Hi patricia2626, 

I've replied to your private message regarding Gigabit Pro. Please reply at your convenience and I can continue to assist you.