Community Forum

Gigabit Internet Speed

Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

James -

You're correct, something does not seem right and a call to Comcast would be a great idea.  I've had their Gigabit service for about a year in the Chicago suburbs and have never at anytime experienced any download speed less than 900 MB.  (This when Ethernet connected to my router, wireless connections in my case are about half that.)  When you call I'd mention that if you're not getting the speed that you're paying for, you're not going to pay any extra high speed surcharge.

Frequent Visitor

Interestingly 

If i log as existing customer i see 400Mb

but if log as new customer i see also see 2TB

Hope they are adding GBit at reasonable rate. i am hearing 79.99 -99.99 a month. 

comcast.png
New Poster

I was just told that Gigabit was available at my address but that I would lose support for CableCARDs and, naturally, my 2 TIVO boxes.

Could this be true? Is there a workaround?

Regular Contributor

I can't see my existing offers it tells me to call comcast. Are you seeing the extreme pro under new costumer page as well? That's the only place I can check which says 200 blast and 2000 gig pro which since I live in a condo i am not Eligible to have. and BTW how far from Woodbridge are you?
Frequent Visitor

as a new customer i see below attached in zipcode 08863

i today have Blast  = 200 Mbps

Existing customer show Extreme Pro = 400mbps

New customer shows Gigabit = 2000 Mbps 

According to reps, I cant order Extreme Pro or Gigabit-2000 and need things to roll out and systems to be updated for my street. was told to check weekly every Tue or Wed when they update. 

comcast2.png
Regular Contributor

Ok so under  existing customer you seen 400 even though it’s not available as per reps? Interesting... maybe soon a launch will happen

Regular Contributor

Just also noticed today they removed the blast 200 offer from the new Coustmer page yesterday and then but it back today ?? Wierd
New Poster

Got 1 gig installed a week ago, XB6. Hard wired, pulling 900, but wireless won't pull more than 150 down and that is standing next to it. Also fluctuates between 40-130 down on other occasions. Any ideas?
Problem Solver

Christine,

Like you I get at least 900 Mbps. hardwired but less with wifi.  I get about 250 Mbps. maximum and sometimes less.  I think it depends upon what equipment you are using and mine also varies for no specific reason.  I've heard the same from others, that if you want to get close to the 1 gig speed, you've GOT to be hard wired through Ethernet.

New Poster

I was getting a higher dl speed with my older service package. Hmmm...I'll need to look into it further. Thanks for the reply!
Frequent Visitor

please check if you are using 2.4ghz or 5ghz mode. 

2.4 is longer range but has usally max which is half of 5ghz. 

Either need to find a way to see if Comcast will allow / if you can login to router to NOT choose same SSID for 2.4 & 5ghz.   * HTTP://10.0.0.1 username (admin) and password (admin).

OR
Use your Wireless Routher you can do so

https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-business-wireless-gateway-overview-wi...

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit Internet Speed - router and speed troubleshooting

Full disclosure that I am a Comcast employee but not posting in any sort of official capacity.  My goal here is to share some troubleshooting I did to improve my speed tests in the hopes it may help others. 

I recently installed Gigabit to give it a try.  Installation was mainly a matter of switching out my current modem for an XB6.  The technician also performed quite a bit of tests in the house and installed an amplifier since my signal was decent but borderline.

Speed tests after the completed install showed the expected speeds of roughly 950Mb down/40 up.  This was with the technician's PC plugged directly into an XB6 port.  I could get similar speeds with a direct PC connection to the XB6.  This tells me that my PC (skylake i5 class) and embedded ethernet port have the performance needed to take advantage of the Gig speed tier. 

However, my production setup connects the PC to an unmanaged gigabit switch (Trendnet TEG-S82g) with that switch connected to a dedicated and arguably high-end wireless router (Netgear Nighthawk X8) with latest firmware.  With this connection, I started seeing speed tests of only ~300Mb down and sometimes as low as 90Mb down.  The first piece of troubleshooting attacked this issue; the bottom line is that the router had somehow negotiated a link to the XB6 at less than gigabit speed.  A simple unplugging and replugging of the XB6<-->router ethernet cord forced a re-negotiation to gigabit speed and I was able to get 400-425Mb download speeds.

At this point I upgraded all cabling to brand-new Cat6 to remove cabling problems from the equation before proceeding.  With that cabling and a direct connection to the XB6, I could get back to the 940Mb speed from before, but the normal setup was still giving about 420Mb.

Digging into Netgear forums, I noted that many users said that QoS and traffic meter needed to be turned off for best performance with Gig ISP connections.  Mine has always been off, so that was no help.  Another suggestion was to turn off MAC filtering (aka Access control), which I use heavily.  Turning off this option got me to about 537Mb down.  Removing the unmanaged switch from the equation and connecting the PC directly to the router showed effectively no change in speed.

For the last trick, I turned on 802.3ad link aggregation on the router and the PC and connected two cables from the PC to the router's aggregation ports (without the unmanaged switch in the picture).  WIth this setup, speeds increased to 630Mb. 

I'm still disappointed that I can't get to true Gig speed with full hard-wired connections, even with link aggregation.  But the issue seems to be either with the capability of the Nighthawk (a sad statement given its near-flagship status) or possibly with the XB6 and how it communicates with the router.  I find the latter hard to believe.

Edited to update:  I've finally been able to get Gig speed on this Nighthawk, and even on a single link without aggregation.  The additional feature I had to turn off was "block sites".  Ultimately it seems that the router simply does not have the horsepower to provide full Gig bandwidth if _any_ packet or other inspection features are used.  This includes QoS, access control, block sites, block services, etc.

Bottom line:  if you cannot get true Gig speed in speed tests when subscribed to the Gig speed tier, make sure it is not your PC, router, and/or cabling at fault.

Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed - router and speed troubleshooting

With that Nighthawk you also need to make sure that in settings you turn off the data meter.  That's what hung me up at half my gigabit speed.  When I turned it off, i got the same 950 Mb download speed connected to the Nighthawk as I did Ethenet connected to the modem. 

Frequent Visitor

Good catch; I added that to my note.  I've never had traffic meter on.

Do you have the same nighthawk X8 (R8500) or some other router?  If you have the same as me, it would be interesting to compare settings and figure out why you can get the full throughput while I cannot.  That investigation may help others.

Problem Solver

I received the Nighthawk X6 with my Technicolor modem about a year ago from Comcast.  I replaced the Nighthawk a month later with the Linksys Velop Tri-Band router system, just left everything on default and it works at the full gigabit speed.  I haven't even gone into the setup, I learned my lesson from fooling with the Nighthawk.  If it works, I'll happily just leave it alone.

Expert
Moved:

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

New Poster

data usage

All of a sudden our data usage has gone through the roof but we cannot determine why.  What uses data usage?  I know internet use, streaming music, etc.  What about TV?  What else?  Is just 'x' ing out of a program good enough to log out or do you have to find a button that says "Exit" or "Log Out"?  What else should I look for?  Can we have more than one phone that gives daily usage reports, and if so, how?

Regular Contributor

I am seeing matinence being done in my account overnight tonight maybe it mean gig is being setup only I can hope cause still seeing blast as the highest offer I have
Regular Visitor

1 GB internet speed the worst service i've ever had

So let me get this straight:

#1 I've been paying for 1 GB connection from xfinity. 

I've never had this bad of internet service since broadband first got announced. This is absolutely ridiculous. As of today, its been a full 2 months of having this xfinity 'service' and i've not once had stable internet connection since. In fact, my last plan had better connection, yet still went in and out like this does.

Does this something to do with comcast? 

In fact, most other wireless services give more stable connections, yet i'm hardwired. 

I don't think i've once EVER gotten a stable download/upload speed once. Its been spiking anywhere betwen .01 (no exaggeration, i even have it on speed test) to 280 MB. I can't play any games -- like not because i'm picky, but i literally d/c every 1-2 minutes and spike to the point that if i even input anything, it'll freeze and take 5-6 seconds to be inputed.

I also have a couple of speed tests to prove my point:

(if you need ANY pictures, i'll send them... but to save time, i'm going to just jot a couple of the tests down from different websites)

Speed Test:

#1: .3/40

#2: 20/10

#3: 330/16

Speedof.me:

#1: 19.9/4

#2: 120/7

#3: 8/0 (literally d/c'd in the midst of testing)

I also have a span of 2-3 months documented on the website to show that my connection hasn't even hit passed 200 MB in 2 months. 2 MONTHS. 

This is ridiculous. In fact, i don't think i should even be paying for service like this; when our xfinity guy left, he was here for over 3 hours and never even got our internet speed to where it should be. So basically its NEVER been what we payed for. In fact, coming to this website... i've gotten 2 pages of 'DNS server can't be found/no internet service'. 

I wouldn't be complaining even if i got like 10 MB and stable connection. Its just so bad, i cannot email anyone, i cannot play games because i disconnect literally every 5 minutes, i can barely browse the web because it just d/cs in the middle of youtube videos ect.

Also, its no virus. I've ran countless scans from over 3 different programs. Please don't give me an automatic response that implies that its a virus, a computer problem, or a cable connection. I've unplugged every single cable connected to the modem, plugged my computer directly (same issues), and switched from multiple computers to literally get the same, bad connection. I'm plugged in with a Cat-6 cable, have the latest 1 GB modem xfinity said they could offer us, have drivers that give me stable 1 GB connection as a network card. My wireless has the same problem. 

Is there any fix to this? Or is the most obvious fix the best choice of simply leaving this company and choosing something else?

Can anyone help me? 

Regular Visitor

jazzsingh wrote:

as a new customer i see below attached in zipcode 08863

i today have Blast  = 200 Mbps

Existing customer show Extreme Pro = 400mbps

New customer shows Gigabit = 2000 Mbps 

According to reps, I cant order Extreme Pro or Gigabit-2000 and need things to roll out and systems to be updated for my street. was told to check weekly every Tue or Wed when they update. 

Whattt? They offer you area 2GB for 149.99, we are getting charged double that in Houston for 2GB. 

XFinity.JPG

Well on to my real question, if I get the 2GB plan and they run the fiber then later I decide to downgrade to 1GB, will I then get the 1gb service on Fiber or will that force me back to coax?  Does anyone know?

Contributor

Re: data usage

It's nothing you've done. It's strictly COMCAST. Back in June of this year, at least for me, Comcast changed something to make it appear that you were using tons of data more than you did prior to the implementation of this 1TB data cap so you'd be more likely to pay them $50 more a month for "unlimited data". It's all a scam to get more money out of you, the customer. Many people have tried to talk to them which has been in vain. Either the person you get is off in some third world country and you can't understand them or the person that was supposed to call you back never does. Comcast is plain ans simple a very non reputable, crooked company. Now, there's your real answer. 

New Poster

Re: data usage

I have seen this as well, I am starting to panic as my 2 months freebie of overage is up.   I know I am a big data user (usually between 500-800GB a month, but have never gone over... All of the sudden I am seeing 1.5TB the last two months.

Contributor

C-Cast unable to provide lowest tier of service, how do you expect to fulfill your commitments to provide 100 times more???

comcast_ stats.jpg

Official Employee

Re: 1 GB internet speed the worst service i've ever had

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message. Thank you

New Poster

I have the same modem. Please can you tell me how to disable dynamic QoS and the traffic analyzer. Thanks in advance. 

New Poster

I so sick of comcast giving my city junk service, we are always last to get any kind of upgrade, think im going back to an antenna and dsl.

Regular Contributor

As of today checked Xfinity.com/gig it shows NJ no longer as upcoming but as finished with gigabit launch on the availbility map it’s now a red dot on the map and not an * I’m not sure if that’s correct as I am not able to get gig and I live in NJ? 

This is confusing? Why would they say launch is complete when it isn’t ???

Regular Visitor

You would think Comcast would have a dedicated phone number for Gigabit sign ups.

I don't know if phone number changes by region but the number I was given for gigabit service is 877-338-5966

I waited 22 mins this morning before having to hang up.  And this I waited for 1hr 13 mins before hanging up.

Regular Visitor

Re: 1 GB internet speed the worst service i've ever had

I contacted you, still no reply.

Also, here's some speedtests from this '1GB' speed:

lagging.pngspeedtest2.pngspeedtest6.pngspeedtest3.pngspeedtest7.pngspeedtest5.png

I also have way more speed tests to prove how bad my speeds are. 

Here's an xfinity one I currently just took to see how 'unstable' the connection is via spiking and disconnects. I also have videos of it lagging because i want all the evidence i can to prove to you guys so i can get a little bit of help... 

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/J916R89ZGX0GIVR

paint.png
New Poster

Gigabyte availability

I called Xfinity to inquire about Gigabyte service. I was sold "immediate upgrade" while I was on the phone. Speed did go ~60 to ~90Mbps. I had been paying for Blast (tm) and was not happy, now I was really upset. After several attempts and "hours" to correct speed issues remotely, trip to service center, equipment swap (not upgrade), a contractor was scheduled. "Gigabyte service not available without proper equipment."  Gigabyte service cancelled, proper codes for my equipment sent while contractor on site  (I'm assuming for the Blast speed ). Now my speed is 150 plus. Should I get the daily charges for Gig service and previous Blast service payments refunded as the speed promised was not available or set up properly?

New Poster

Re: Gigabyte availability

Well at least in Utah my speeds are 900+Mb consistently and 45Mb up. The problem is, the ridiculous 1TB data cap. Why would you have a paying customer spend a lot more for a much faster connection and not increase (in not make unlimited) the data cap?????!!!! 
Luckily Google Fiber is near my city so its a matter of time before I say bye bye to this greedy "couldnt care less about customers" Comcast company.

New Poster

Hey Alan, with the Velop what WiFi speeds are you seeing? I got the same but am not seeing faster than 450 mbs - After a few hours with Linksys they told me that half of wired speeds is “acceptable”. Not very happy with that answer. 

Problem Solver

Hi Hilton305

When connected directly via Ethernet to the Velop, I get the same 950 Mbps download speeds I get when connected directly to the Technicolor modem they provided.  When connected to my Chromebook via wifi, I get around 500 Mbps. or so.  I think you'll find that the 'half speed' comment via wifi IS pretty standard, depending upon your device.  It's exactly the same speed I received with other routers, including the Nighthawk router they provided.  I really haven't noticed anyone here commenting they received higher wifi speeds with any device or router.  

New Poster

Thanks for the info. Wish I’d found this forum sooner because it would have saved countless hours on the line with tech support and Best Buy must loathe me because of the amount of equipment I bought and returned this week. I kept trying to get higher wifi speeds, brought home the Orbi, Amplifi, and a Nighthawk, but settled for the Velop, which was the easiest mesh system to set up with the MB8600 that I own. 

Regular Visitor

Hilton305 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Wish I’d found this forum sooner because it would have saved countless hours on the line with tech support and Best Buy must loathe me because of the amount of equipment I bought and returned this week. I kept trying to get higher wifi speeds, brought home the Orbi, Amplifi, and a Nighthawk, but settled for the Velop, which was the easiest mesh system to set up with the MB8600 that I own. 

Hi Hilton305,

Yes you are not understanding wireless, no one should expect gigabit speeds on wireless unless you buy ALL the correct equipment and you can eliminate all interference and stay close to the wifi Access Point.  I see you say you've bought many access points/routers but have you changed the WiFi Card in your device.  You can buy all the wireless access points you want but if the wireless card in your device is not the same spec you won't see a difference.  Also, no one should expect to see speeds at 1gb or higher using a 1gigbit network, which is what most are using, it's like buying a 1GB hard drive you will NOT have 1GB of usable space.  Even if you have two computers connected on a gigbit network you will only get ~920MB transfer rate.  The cable modem you get from Comcast is capped with 1-gigabit ports so don't expect more, I laugh because the MB8600 advertises downstream speeds up to 3.8GB put all the ports are only 1GB, LMAO. Once you start playing with gigabit speeds you have to start looking at your network infrastructure, if you're like me and expect speeds to increase even more in the future you need to consider ALOT before you can take advantage of it.  CAT6 wiring, they say CAT 5 will do but for optimal performance you'll need CAT6, a 10GB router, 10GB Network card for devices, and a cable modem with higher than 10GB ports good luck with that.

On another note why do people buy modems for $150 vs leasing one from Xfinity $120 a year and you can upgrade it for free as technology advances? It takes more than a year to break even, and by then new tech is out and it's time to upgrade another $150.  I'm not some Xfinity fanboy or employee I just did the math.  Speaking of doing the math, I'm about to ditch Xfinity for AT&T fiber 1GB up and down, NO DATA LIMIT, fiber to the inside of the house $80 a month, really $70 because I also switched to DirecTV the picture quality is so much better (I tested HBO HD from both providers on the same TV it's obvious). Plus more HD premium channels, Xfinity is suffering from the limitations of coax. More info in my next post.

Regular Visitor

Re: Gigabyte availability

Lina95 wrote:

Well at least in Utah my speeds are 900+Mb consistently and 45Mb up. The problem is, the ridiculous 1TB data cap. Why would you have a paying customer spend a lot more for a much faster connection and not increase (in not make unlimited) the data cap?????!!!! 
Luckily Google Fiber is near my city so its a matter of time before I say bye bye to this greedy "couldnt care less about customers" Comcast company.

EXACTLY Lina95, if people are asking for gigabit speeds it's obvious they use a lot of data.  I am just finishing an experiment, I had AT&T gigabit service with no cap for about 8 months and we never went over 1TB (they show you your usage even if you have unlimited, which is a good thing).  I switched to Comcast just to compare services and withing 3 weeks it's saying we are over by ~150gigs, I laughed when I got the warning because it came at a suspicious time.  Friday night I got an alert saying we are 180gigs from using 1TB, Saturday the entire family was gone, we were gone until about 10pm, around 12am (just 2 hours later) I got the alert fro Comcast that we were over by ~150gigs, how no one was home.  There is no way they can convince me it's not a scam, and my experiment proved true same household, same usage, with Comcast and a cap we're over even though no one was home.  And before they try to say oh well someone could have been using your wifi, our wifi is MAC address restricted and I watch my DHCP server like a hawk because I'm paranoid, lol.  Their literature says only 1% of their customers use more than a 1TB but they are charging way more than 1% of their customers for going over so shouldn't that be a red flag?  Before they implemented the cap only 1% went over (according to them) but after you implement the cap that percentage jumps substantially, I would think Comcast would look into this but they just want the extra $$$.  I'm still within my 30day money back guarantee and I will be getting my money back and dumping these crooks with subpar service.

AT&T gives me 1GB Up and Down with fiber run into the home for $80 ($70 because I have DirecTV) NO DATA CAP so it's not even an issue and free install.  I'm no genius but for those who can get it how can you not go for the AT&T deal.  I do understand that different areas experience different issues so it's not for everybody.  Comcast you are too greedy and I will exercise my right to spend my money elsewhere.  It's not enough I pay for your top tier you also have to gouge me with made up data charges.

Contributor

I have the same problem. I'm getting 185ish mbps on an SB8200 with fine lines, dbm, SNR, cat 6, etc.   And before I bought this modem I was getting 8 to 85mbps

Contributor

Saw 1Gbps was available today. Only $5 more than what I was paying for Extreme 400. Went out and bought SB8200. Get home and 10 minutes later I'm pulling 950+Mbps. So cool.
Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

Contributor

Will the Scranton, PA area get docsis 3.1 gigabit this year? 

Will the grandfathered extreme 150/20 get bumped up the 400/20?

Regular Contributor

Me too. I never saw it advertised or even listed as available here, but I called and she quoted me $10 less to go from 200Mbps Blast to Gigabit.
I ran out and got the SB8200 and was up in no time.

Sadly it didn't solve the new and recent upstream channel speed problem I've been having.
On 200/10 service I was getting 5-8Mbps up.
On Gigabit I'm getting up to 15Mbps up.
Down has been great. 240 before and now in the 900s. Lightning fast.
Expert

@TaylorH

You might want to post your signal stats as you might have a signal problem preventing you from getting the full upload speed. Upload speed for gigabit is 35Mbps. You can see them at http://192.168.100.1 on the SB8200

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Before I replaced the SB6141 with the SB8200 I was also getting low upload speeds. I used to get a solid 13Mbps with the 6141. In fact it seems like I'm getting the same upstream with both modems.
I've had cable modem for 12 years and never had a anything but stellar speeds.
I'm attaching a screen shot as well as a copy paste.

Upstream is DOCSIS 3.0 according to the green light on the front. Downstream DOCSIS 3.1 (blue light.).
Downstream speeds are in the high 900s over Ethernet (good.)
This is from my iPhone X this morning on 802.11ac so the downstream tops out in the 300-400 range (normal.)
Upstream speed are similar with Gigabit Ethernet on my PC directly connected to the modem (bypassing router.)

speed test result of 309.8/8.28 mbits: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/24937191

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel ID Lock Status Modulation Frequency Power SNR/MER Corrected Uncorrectables
29 Locked QAM256 651000000 Hz 4.5 dBmV 39.0 dB 1029842 14
1 Locked QAM256 483000000 Hz 3.5 dBmV 39.6 dB 0 0
2 Locked QAM256 489000000 Hz 3.6 dBmV 39.6 dB 0 0
3 Locked QAM256 495000000 Hz 3.7 dBmV 39.4 dB 15 0
4 Locked QAM256 507000000 Hz 4.1 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
5 Locked QAM256 513000000 Hz 4.2 dBmV 39.6 dB 1 0
6 Locked QAM256 519000000 Hz 4.0 dBmV 39.5 dB 5 0
7 Locked QAM256 525000000 Hz 3.9 dBmV 39.6 dB 1 0
8 Locked QAM256 531000000 Hz 3.8 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
9 Locked QAM256 537000000 Hz 3.9 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
10 Locked QAM256 543000000 Hz 4.2 dBmV 39.4 dB 2 0
11 Locked QAM256 549000000 Hz 4.4 dBmV 39.5 dB 20 0
12 Locked QAM256 555000000 Hz 4.4 dBmV 39.5 dB 8 0
13 Locked QAM256 561000000 Hz 4.4 dBmV 39.6 dB 13 0
14 Locked QAM256 567000000 Hz 4.4 dBmV 39.4 dB 17 0
15 Locked QAM256 573000000 Hz 4.3 dBmV 39.3 dB 76 0
16 Locked QAM256 579000000 Hz 4.5 dBmV 39.4 dB 42 0
17 Locked QAM256 585000000 Hz 4.6 dBmV 39.4 dB 14 0
18 Locked QAM256 591000000 Hz 4.7 dBmV 39.4 dB 53 0
19 Locked QAM256 597000000 Hz 4.8 dBmV 39.2 dB 74 0
20 Locked QAM256 603000000 Hz 5.0 dBmV 39.3 dB 2 0
21 Locked QAM256 609000000 Hz 4.8 dBmV 39.2 dB 150 0
22 Locked QAM256 615000000 Hz 4.9 dBmV 39.1 dB 59 0
23 Locked QAM256 621000000 Hz 4.7 dBmV 39.1 dB 74 0
24 Locked QAM256 627000000 Hz 4.6 dBmV 39.0 dB 240 0
26 Locked QAM256 633000000 Hz 4.6 dBmV 38.9 dB 155 0
27 Locked QAM256 639000000 Hz 4.3 dBmV 38.8 dB 528 0
28 Locked QAM256 645000000 Hz 4.4 dBmV 38.8 dB 276 0
25 Locked Other 705000000 Hz 5.4 dBmV 37.8 dB 14470176 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Channel ID Lock Status US Channel Type Frequency Width Power
1 4 Locked SC-QAM 36700000 Hz 6400000 Hz 45.8 dBmV
2 1 Locked SC-QAM 17300000 Hz 6400000 Hz 44.5 dBmV
3 2 Locked SC-QAM 23700000 Hz 6400000 Hz 44.3 dBmV
4 3 Locked SC-QAM 30300000 Hz 6400000 Hz 45.0 dBmV

I also noticed this in the logs and I have no idea if they indicate a real problem:

34 Critical(3) "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=90:9d:7d:2e:b5:19;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:96:2a:52;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
1-1-1970, 0:0:41 Notice(6) "Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6"
1-1-1970, 0:0:37 Critical(3) "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=90:9d:7d:2e:b5:19;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:96:2a:52;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
1-1-1970, 0:0:33 Critical(3) "SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=90:9d:7d:2e:b5:19;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"
C103B055-F4D6-464F-A696-ECE6C8D3A8E4.png
Expert

@TaylorH

A couple more things:

1. Try calling Comcast and obtain the uSNR (Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio, should be at least 31dB - higher is better), the Upstream Receive Power (should be between -2dBmV and +2dBmV with 0dBmV perfect in the middle), and the ICFR (In Channel Frequency Response, should be no higher than +2dBmV) values.

2. Have you tried repacking any splitters or temporarily removing splitters to see if any improvement in the upload speed? If you decide to replace any splitters make sure they are 5-1002MHz rated and not the gold plated ones from the stores.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

@jweaver0312
Thank you for the info. Before I had a chance to call the prolem ficed itself. I suspect it was something on the Comcast end and not a signal issue.
I did remove the one splitter but that made no difference. It was a slipper that came with an Xfinity cable box home install kit (I no longer have TV service.)

Now I'm getting high 900s down (maxing out Ethernet) and 42Mbps up. Everything is solid.
If a problem returns I'll be sure to call in and ask these questions.

Thank you for the help!
Frequent Visitor

I just had gigabit enabled on my account in 98033 (not advertised but saw a press release saying it was available...) any how I am having same issue that Taylor had - a wired speed test varies between 120Mbps and 500Mbs (but mostly in the 120’s) with a new SB8200.

support was unable to identify issue and they need to get specialist support to call me tomorrow - this is way to hard......

ABCC8D77-7F1B-4704-8AFF-7D618A633765.jpeg

New Poster

How did you do this
Contributor

Just upgraded to Gigabit from Performance Pro here in NH. My setup is; Motorola MB 8600 to Edgerouter X to HP Gigabit switch. I have run CAT 6A in the past year to many jacks in my home. I tested the speed right from MB 8600 and download was 450 MPBS being the highest after a few tests and upload was right around 36-40 MPBS. The test laptop was a Dell E6530 connected gigabit to the MB8600. The other possible issue is the amplifier mounted in my condo? Is this rated for Gigabit? Would Comcast be responsible for replacing if it is not rated? I have the correct configuration file in the Moto and have 25 x 3 channels with one being ODFM. What am I missing?
WP_20171122_14_12_09_Pro.jpg
New Poster

Looks like docsis 3.1 internet is available [finally] as a "deal" in Sonora, CA (95370). I was on extreme 150, paying like 115$ a month and the chat rep was offering a "deal" for 90$ a month (two year contract) but it was only bundled with some basic TV package (that i could care less about).

I signed up and apparently have to wait for a technician to install the cable box before my CM1000 modem will be allowed the gigabit bootfile. kind of a bummer i need to wait a couple days before the bootfile will be pushed to my modem. On the other hand i'm stoked to get the gigabit internet.

I tried rebooting and factory resetting my modem and it wont get the gigabit boot file yet, so it must be pending the site visit. Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.41.22 PM.png

Expert

@1Starbrite

How are your signal levels? You can read them at http://192.168.100.1