Community Forum

Gigabit Internet Speed

Frequent Visitor

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

@darkangelic wrote:

@mjharwoodaz wrote:

Is there an easy way to know if you will need any special install for gigabit? Or what the pricing is? All I can seem to do on the "manage my services" page is look at bundles that go to 400M with phone, TV, and internet, or 250M with TV & internet. I'm hoping to upgrade into some kind of bundle that cuts my cost OR gives me more for what I'm paying, but seeing all the stories on here has me wondering a) whether such a thing exists and b) whether I will need any cabling redone.

A lot of factors go into whether or not a customer is eligible for Gigabit service, which is why it's easiest to call (800) XFINITY ,use Chat Support , or better yet, visit your local Xfinity Store to find out for sure. 

A little backstory from my own experience - I had originally upgraded online to Comcast Premier Triple Play back in August 2017, but a chance call to customer support let me know that Gigabit became available in my area in the interim, so I changed my internet tier from Blast Pro to Gigabit and a tech install was scheduled. 

I was a little bummed that I couldn't get out of the tech install (didn't want to pay the fee, for one thing) but the tech found issues in my wiring that would've greatly impacted my service, so turned out to be worth it. 

As for bundles, Gigabit was originally a $60 add on to my Triple Play package, which was reduced to $50 after the service agreement, then later went down to $35, then $15 when my base service got bumped to Extreme Pro 400, and now that I have Quad Play with Xfinity Home, Gigabit is now included as part of the service, so I actually wind up paying way less for my current Quad Play than my original Triple Play package. 

Thanks for that detailed info! I've definitely considered moving into the Triple Play package with phone and this could be the kicker that makes it happen... I've thought about Xfinity Home, as well, but I'd like to stick with something that works with my HomeKit ecosystem and I haven't seen anything that indicates theirs does (without using 3rd party solutions like Homebridge, perhaps). They don't still have BYOD for Home, do they?

Frequent Visitor

@RokuUser wrote:

You can start at https://www.xfinity.com/gig and click on the link half way down "Get a gig."  It may load a page with Gigabit offers.  Try it while logged in to your Comcast account and you can also try when logged out of your account but put in your address and say (pretend) that you'll be a new customer moving to that address just to see what offers come up.

But this is not the final word and not showing anything doesn't mean it's not available.  Really, you just have to call and ask if Gigabit is available.

Thanks. Yep, I've done that and nothing shows... I'll probably end up making a trip to the local customer center, anyway, in the next couple of weeks, so I will ask then, as well.

Silver Problem Solver

@darkangelic wrote:

@mjharwoodaz wrote:

Is there an easy way to know if you will need any special install for gigabit? Or what the pricing is? All I can seem to do on the "manage my services" page is look at bundles that go to 400M with phone, TV, and internet, or 250M with TV & internet. I'm hoping to upgrade into some kind of bundle that cuts my cost OR gives me more for what I'm paying, but seeing all the stories on here has me wondering a) whether such a thing exists and b) whether I will need any cabling redone.

A lot of factors go into whether or not a customer is eligible for Gigabit service, which is why it's easiest to call (800) XFINITY ,use Chat Support , or better yet, visit your local Xfinity Store to find out for sure. 

A little backstory from my own experience - I had originally upgraded online to Comcast Premier Triple Play back in August 2017, but a chance call to customer support let me know that Gigabit became available in my area in the interim, so I changed my internet tier from Blast Pro to Gigabit and a tech install was scheduled. 

I was a little bummed that I couldn't get out of the tech install (didn't want to pay the fee, for one thing) but the tech found issues in my wiring that would've greatly impacted my service, so turned out to be worth it. 

As for bundles, Gigabit was originally a $60 add on to my Triple Play package, which was reduced to $50 after the service agreement, then later went down to $35, then $15 when my base service got bumped to Extreme Pro 400, and now that I have Quad Play with Xfinity Home, Gigabit is now included as part of the service, so I actually wind up paying way less for my current Quad Play than my original Triple Play package. 

Wow!  The gig website says gig isn't ready for my market yet.  When it is available, I will see if my Quad Play can be upgraded like yours.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@mjharwoodaz wrote:

Thanks for that detailed info! I've definitely considered moving into the Triple Play package with phone and this could be the kicker that makes it happen... I've thought about Xfinity Home, as well, but I'd like to stick with something that works with my HomeKit ecosystem and I haven't seen anything that indicates theirs does (without using 3rd party solutions like Homebridge, perhaps). They don't still have BYOD for Home, do they?

They have a whole array of Works With Xfinity Home products, but as of now most of them don't integrate with HomeKit unless your devices themselves are supported under Xfinity Home as well (such as my Philips Hue hub and lights).  They support Nest thermostats for instance, but Nest isn't supported under HomeKit either, so you're stuck. And they have no support for third party cameras at all, though you can get a 50% discount on their very good camera if you sign up for the 24/7 home monitoring system. 

If you already have a home security system, more modern equpiment may be reused under Xfinity Home, but you'd have to ask directly when you consult them for potential service.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Hi,  

For many months, the xfinity.com/gig site has said that Gig speeds are "almost here" for my home address.  Can I ask one of the Comcast employees on this board to check on their end and see if it's really coming soon (or maybe already available)?

Thanks!

Expert

@NeuroDoc730 wrote:

Hi,  

For many months, the xfinity.com/gig site has said that Gig speeds are "almost here" for my home address.  Can I ask one of the Comcast employees on this board to check on their end and see if it's really coming soon (or maybe already available)?

Thanks!

You won't be able to Private Message the employees here directly, the fastest way would be to call (800) XFINITY, use Chat Support, or visit an Xfinity Store near you. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello all, 

@mjharwoodaz - I can definitely check if gigabit speed tier is available in your area. There is no need to stop by the store just for that. Feel free to send me a private message with your first and last name and I will check the gigabit availability. 

@NeuroDoc730 - Thank you for posting publicly Smiley Happy I will check the gigabit availability in your area and will reply back in PM. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

It would be great if someone would come on here to tell us of the great experience they are having with the 1gb service. I would like to find out what computer they have to compare to the rest of us.
Problem Solver

@RDarcy wrote:
It would be great if someone would come on here to tell us of the great experience they are having with the 1gb service. I would like to find out what computer they have to compare to the rest of us.

I've posted before that I had an amazing experience with my Gigabit installation.  (It was installed by Comcast employees, not private contractors over a year ago.)  I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

Two crews showed up actually.  The first went into my backyard and checked several different points of my service leading to my house, making sure everything was up to spec and grounded carefully.  Another guy came into my den with the equipment (back then then they had to install  a seperate modem and Netgear Nighthawk wireless router.)  He checked everything and made sure I was receiving at least 940 Mb down and 40 Mb up.   About two months ago they sent me a new XB6 gateway combo which I installed myself.  I put the XB6 in bridge mode and installed a LInksys Velop wireless system which totally covers my house with great speed (only the hard wired desktop computer receives the full 940 Mb. speed, my other wireless connections max out at about 500 Mb.  

My hardwired desktop computer is an HP Envy but I've hooked up other computers and achieved the same speed.  You just need to make sure your net card is a 10/100/1000 Mbs. capable.  Most computers made over the last few years have these built in.  My old one did not but before the install I purchased a 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Ethernet card from Amazon for twelve bucks, put it in and it worked great until I purchased a more modern computer.

If you have equipment like this and are not achieving these speeds, I'd say the problem is with Comcast, not with you.

Official Employee

Thank you for sharing your experience, @AlanD

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Wish more people would. I wish I could trust me. But I do meet the Ethernet requirement and get nowhere near 1gb speed on the Comcast speed test directly connected with the xb6 to the computer. Also using CAT 7 cables which work fine.
Contributor

@ComcastElla Thank you for the reply.  I'm sure you have a full queue of tickets.  I was just making sure you still wanted (or are able) to work on my concern or if I should just call and schedule a service visit.  

Expert

@RDarcy wrote:

This is, of course, my iMac, but I'm getting similar results with all my wired devices. You can probably see the other Chrome tab showing the dslreports speedtest result. If you have a real keen eye, you can see a screenshot that shows a Fast.com speedtest result of 1.3 Gbps, but unfortunately I didn't save that with the additional data shown in the main shot.

ss.png
Regular Contributor

Wow you must have a $2000 computer. The last two techs including a supervisor could not figure out my issue. The last guy was a supervisor and said I definitely should be getting 1gb because my computer is compliant. Then said he has only seen 1gb speed hardwired twice and they were $2000computers. Still only getting about 250mb hardwired.
Expert

@RDarcy wrote:
Wow you must have a $2000 computer. The last two techs including a supervisor could not figure out my issue. The last guy was a supervisor and said I definitely should be getting 1gb because my computer is compliant. Then said he has only seen 1gb speed hardwired twice and they were $2000computers. Still only getting about 250mb hardwired.

Well, true, the iMac was a $2500 machine, but my Apple TV 4k gets similar results on the OOKLA app, and it was only $180.  I also had a really old second generation i5 PC wired to my network and it was also hitting around 940 Mbps, and that thing probably isn't worth $150, even with the SSD and upgrades . 

Regular Contributor

I’m at a loss. It’s hilarious that you have a really old computer that hits that speed. Must have been a $2000 computer back in its day....lmao
Expert

Wasn't everything $2000 back in the day? Cat LOL

Seriously, though, it didn't take much to have that old PC (which I actually still use as a HTPC hooked up to my bedroom TV to watch Xfinity Stream) gigabit ready. A cheapo 128 GB SSD, a couple salvaged extra RAM sticks to make it 16 GB, an add-on USB 3.0 card....and since it's already got a 3.3 GHz i5-2500K CPU and a built in gigabit Ethernet adapter, the rest was pretty simple.  

As far as your particular issues with not getting gigabit speeds, frankly, I'm at a loss myself. It took me a few weeks of tweaking my system to get to my current speeds, and even then I had to jettison the leased XB6-A gateway in favor of my current setup. 

Regular Contributor

Well I guess I’m stuck with slow wired speeds. ComcastElla has closed my case. Thanks for your time and help with my issue ComcastElla. Told it’s a hardware issue but who’s? At least my wireless speeds are good. Hopefully Verizon 5g home service comes to my area to give Comcast some competition. Maybe verizons 1GB will actually provide 1GB. I’m not alone with this issue as I see in the forums for Comcast and other forums . Problem is nobody has an answer on any of them. If I ever get it fixed I’ll report back but it’s highly unlikely.
Regular Contributor

Getting line replaced from curb to side of my house. Tech found some damage on the line. Today I could not access my gateway through the log in page. Called and rep had to do a reset of the modem. Tried default user name and password and it would not work. Rep had me try multiple passwords after reset and still can’t access it. They said they never saw this before and the modem needs to be swapped. So on 9/29 I’ll be going on my 3rd xb6. Hardwired speed tests still slow. Told it’s my computer so who knows at this point. I’ll report back after the modem swap and line exchange.
Expert

@RDarcy wrote:
Getting line replaced from curb to side of my house. Tech found some damage on the line..

FWIW, line problems would affect both WiFi and wired speeds.

Contributor

This is question regarding the service. Will some states and towns not get gig speeds at all?

Silver Problem Solver

@strykerzr350 wrote:

This is question regarding the service. Will some states and towns not get gig speeds at all?

Probably not if you think about outlying areas that aren't within a Comcast region.

https://www.xfinity.com/gig

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

No, what I mean is the entire footprint, I am in Mississippi and I am suprised that the gig speeds are not even offered in the state yet.

Tupelo being the founding city of Comcast and Jackson being huge, they really need it.

Contributor

i get the wierd slow speeds too

speed.png
Silver Problem Solver

@patricia2626 wrote:

Is that with a wired ethernet connection or is it with a wifi connection?

Expert

@patricia2626 wrote:

Are you subscribed to the Gigabit speed tier ? I ask because your upload speed is not that of what the gig speed tier should be either.

Regular Contributor

I’m on the GB speed plan. Look at my upload. Download won’t go higher than this. Hardwired by the way
7CE7D29C-1CE2-42D9-BF3C-FFF7B21782CD.jpeg
Regular Contributor

Seconds later I do the test again. Now look at the upload.
AAE0B208-6F92-46ED-BCED-E3E09B8337E0.jpeg
Silver Problem Solver

Look at My Account and tell us what tier you have.

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/services/internet

@RDarcy wrote:
Seconds later I do the test again. Now look at the upload.

Regular Contributor

1gb like I stated in earlier discussions.
Regular Contributor

Can’t upload pictures anymore since I uploaded those speed pictures.....weird
Expert

Host the pics at a third party pic hosting site such as Imgur and post the links to the here.

Regular Contributor

I shouldn’t have to do that though correct? Pictures uploaded fine then stopped after I posted the speed pictures. Regardless my plan is 1gb I’m not making that up.
Expert

I don't know what happened to that feature for you, sorry. I'm just giving you a viable work-around for the interim.

New Poster

Not sure if you have corrected your problem yet...

I had the same problem that my speed was nowhere near 1GB.

After days and days of phone tech support, an installer tech came by and he told me that he did not know why Comcast is selling the 1GB to customers with coax, and that only fiber will get you the full speed.  He got on the phone, and I heard over the speaker that his Comcast counterpart confirmed that fiber would be the solution.

I downgraded on the spot and have been happy with my download speed (between 400-500MBps), at a much cheaper price.

Regular Contributor

I give up at this point. The answer of fiber completely contradicts anything they say to me so who knows.
New Poster

Got my gigabit service installed here in NJ last weekend. I was told by online rep via chat that a tech needs to come out to install new cabling. However, when the tech arrived last Saturday, he said that is not needed. In fact, he went straight from his van to my front door without looking at the connections outside.

So i'm like i actually could have done this myself. He was like "maybe". Anyway, i let him install the new modem (Morotolla SB8600). Took him a few minutes to add the modem to my account.  After that was done, he then tested the speed using the XMT device (it's an odroid i think). Showed me the speed 980 and 42 up so im like ok, but he then said i will only see those speed from his XMT device.

From what i read in this forum that is not the case. A lot of you have been connecting your computers directly to the modem and are getting those advertised speeds (assuming your pc is up to spec based what comcast recommends).

I am using an Edgerouter ERX and i am getting nowhere close to that speed. Tested it around 1:30 am this morning and my download was going from 120-160 and the upload was below 10. Its nowhere close to the gigabit and in fact, my test shows that its now even slower than my previous blast tier which always tested 250 down even on Wifi

I will connect my laptop directly to the modem later tonight and retest.

Regular Contributor

I had the line replaced and still only get 250 with the computer hooked up to the modem directly. Tech came out with the same device and after an hour got it to hit near 1gb on his device one time. I’ve had the xb6 replaced 3 times no difference. I gave up so don’t expect the 1gb speed on the computer using the speed test. My WiFi speeds are faster in 5GHz around 525 than the computer at 250 or less
Expert

@cscamp20 wrote:

I am using an Edgerouter ERX and i am getting nowhere close to that speed. Tested it around 1:30 am this morning and my download was going from 120-160 and the upload was below 10. Its nowhere close to the gigabit and in fact, my test shows that its now even slower than my previous blast tier which always tested 250 down even on Wifi

I will connect my laptop directly to the modem later tonight and retest.

It's been a while, but from what I remember,  you need to enable Hardware Offloading and disable QoS  and DPI on the ERX to take advantage of Gigabit.  

I consistently get 942/41 on my ARRIS SB8200 + ASUS RT-AC88U. 

New Poster

I did enable Hardware offloading last night. i will disable the others you suggested later. Thanks for the tip.

Silver Problem Solver

@darkangelic wrote:

@mjharwoodaz wrote:

Guess what?  I checked my October Service and Pricing page today and my bundle now includes gigabit.  I called 1800comcast billing and in 15 minutes I had my contract updated for gigabit and it was up in 5 minutes after my XB6 rebooted.

Thank you very much!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Got my Gigabit Pro and LOVING it!

the nighthalk X10 router has an SFP port that you will need to buy a 10Gig SFP for and make sure it is 850nm Short Range. and then the X10 will handle the full speeds and be splitting it along the 6 available 1gig ports on the router and Wi-Fi devices.  if you want one machine to get the FULL 2Gb/s then you can buy a 2 port aggregated NIC, and the X10 has 2 ports that can be combined into a single aggregated connection to that pc or server, ect, and you can get the full speed.  well technically not the full speed but about 1.8Gb/s due to Cat5 limits. but yeah. hope that helps. 

if you need anything more you can send me a message i am a Network Technician for a living. 

Silver Problem Solver

@jclevenger87 wrote:

the nighthalk X10 router has an SFP port that you will need to buy a 10Gig SFP for and make sure it is 850nm Short Range. and then the X10 will handle the full speeds and be splitting it along the 6 available 1gig ports on the router and Wi-Fi devices.  if you want one machine to get the FULL 2Gb/s then you can buy a 2 port aggregated NIC, and the X10 has 2 ports that can be combined into a single aggregated connection to that pc or server, ect, and you can get the full speed.  well technically not the full speed but about 1.8Gb/s due to Cat5 limits. but yeah. hope that helps. 

if you need anything more you can send me a message i am a Network Technician for a living. 

Sending a pm.

Expert

FWIW, the 2 gigabit speed tier is an FTTH offering named Gigabit Pro. The 1 gigabit speed tier is a DOCSIS 3.1 coax offering named Gigabit.

Regular Visitor

I am struggling to get the full speed of my gigabit service even during off peak hours. I usually fall somewhere in the 600mbps - 750mbps area. While that is very fast, it is not ever reaching what I pay for. Can someone check my modem to make sure everything is ok? I am running the XB6 in bridge mode.
Expert

What's your speed like when connected directly to the XB6 ? (Either in bridge mode or gateway mode)?
Given your download speed is hitting the 700 range, it's not the provisioning that's the problem. I'm thinking it's your router. Did you turn off restrictive settings like QoS, DPI, bandwidth monitoring, or any security monitoring?

Silver Problem Solver

@tmaloney88 wrote:
I am struggling to get the full speed of my gigabit service even during off peak hours. I usually fall somewhere in the 600mbps - 750mbps area. While that is very fast, it is not ever reaching what I pay for. Can someone check my modem to make sure everything is ok? I am running the XB6 in bridge mode.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...