Community Forum

Gig speed install question

Frequent Visitor

Gig speed install question

I have been a "blast" user for about 4 years and have always owned my own equipment.  I wanted to upgrade to Gig speed Internet so I bought a Comcast approved Netgear CM1150V cable modem (DOCSIS 3.1) and it took a few hours to get someone at Comcast to even get the device recognized.  That alone was crazy that I couldn't initialize it myself.

Then when I renewed my subscription to gig speed, I was told it was fine and in the day or more since, my speed has been no more than 180 MBps, nowhere close to Gig speed let alone even Blast speed.  I called to inquire (which is also near impossible since the voice prompts do everything they can to make me hang up) and then was told that a tech needs to come to my home to install my modem.  My modem is already installed, and working fine (albeit way slow).  The earliest tech appointment is in about 2 weeks

Can anyone explain this?  My modem is new, approved, and functions at least at lower speeds.  My house is wired.  And nobody at Comcast seems to know any of this. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Gig speed install question

@CurmudgeonSupre wrote:

I have been a "blast" user for about 4 years and have always owned my own equipment.  I wanted to upgrade to Gig speed Internet so I bought a Comcast approved Netgear CM1150V cable modem (DOCSIS 3.1) and it took a few hours to get someone at Comcast to even get the device recognized.  That alone was crazy that I couldn't initialize it myself.

Then when I renewed my subscription to gig speed, I was told it was fine and in the day or more since, my speed has been no more than 180 MBps, nowhere close to Gig speed let alone even Blast speed.  I called to inquire (which is also near impossible since the voice prompts do everything they can to make me hang up) and then was told that a tech needs to come to my home to install my modem.  My modem is already installed, and working fine (albeit way slow).  The earliest tech appointment is in about 2 weeks

Can anyone explain this?  My modem is new, approved, and functions at least at lower speeds.  My house is wired.  And nobody at Comcast seems to know any of this. 

Any help?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

thank you for replying.  Did all that.  And still nothing

Expert

You could try calling in and asking for a tier 2 rep or a supervisor but it looks like your local market's policy may require a tech visit.

If you do get through to a tier 2 rep, ask them to completely remove the modem from your account and to "re-provision" it from scratch. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for the gigabit speed tier is being pushed to the modem. Good luck with it !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

those are excellent suggestions.  I appreciate those.

I will call and ask, and maybe not need a home visit, but who knows?  The biggest annoyance is that when I first installed the Netgear 1150V modem (or had to have some tech support person do it poorly and long), and then when I added gig speed to my account, nobody at Comcast told me any of this. 

When I called back (and went thru twitter customer support too), I was not allowed to speak to a higher level tech support person and in my opinion, the tech support person I was speaking with knew less than me (who knows very little) and certainly less than you

Frequent Visitor

So i don't know if anyone is interested or reading but nothing has changed.  I had an appointment set up for yesterday but the Comcast guarantee failed--they didn't come in the 2 hour window so needed to reschedule.  Meantime, the modem I am using is a voice/cable modem and the voice part does not activate (and our phone line from verizon is still active, so I don't think Comcast ported the number appropriately, even though it is listed on my account).

The speed is still maxing out at 195 MBps despite repeated modem reboots and I think the whole issue of "self service" is a joke.  Every time I go on their support site to try to troubleshoot, it gives me an error message saying to call the voice mail dark hole otherwise known as their 1800 number where you can't ever reach anyone with knowledge.  To say this is frustrating is an understatement.

and on my equipment page--it is mislabeling my cable modem as just a cable modem and cable/voice, and still lists old equipment as activated.  A mess to say the least.  Not impressed