Community Forum

Gateways and Bridge Mode

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Gateways and Bridge Mode

@TechDaze wrote:

2. If you do not have a Comcast landline, you really do not need the wireless gateway, and you can replace it with a straight through, regular modem. The Cisco DPC3000 or DPC3008 should be available in your area.

You don't need a wireless  gateway even if you DO have Comcast phone service.

I have Comcast phone service, a NON-gateway modem and my phone service works just fine.

Please do not make it sound like a gateway is necessary for phone service.

Yes, you do have freedom of speech. But not on private property which is what the forum is. Comcast owns it, Comcast makes the rules.

If you have a problem with the rules, you can complain to ComcastLarry, the forum administrator.

Contributor

You are right, but if they already have a wireless gateway, they will not be able to switch it in for the Arris TM722. The new straight through modems that CC provides are Cisco DPC3000 & DPC3008. Neither of which have a phone port. The Arris 722 is still a great modem and up to date, but not available for pickup.
Expert

@TechDaze wrote:

If you are not an employee of CC then you have no authority to tell me what I can and cannot post in here. 

Excuse me but I'm not telling you "what or what not to post here". I only told you that if you are an employee, you need to be sanctioned by the community manager here to be able to post in an official capacity.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@TechDaze wrote:
The Arris 722 is still a great modem and up to date, 

FWIW, this one is even more up to date as it offers twice as many multiple downstream channel capability than does the 722;

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-TM822G-Touchstone%C2%AE-Ultra-High-Telephony/dp/B00721TUNS

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

That is an amazon link duder. Please try to get one of those at your local service center. We are talking about trading it in, not purchasing
Expert

The fact that it is newer is still a valid one "duder". The link was only supplied as being a reference..

Contributor

I didn't say that it was the most up to date, or the best, I just said it was up to date. And it is. It is DOCSIS 3.0 and its still very much a very valid piece of equipment.
My point was, it you are trading in a Wireless Gateway at the service center, and want a modem only device, then you will receive one without a phone port.
Frequent Visitor

I believe I need the gateway since I have Xfinity Triple Play with Internet "Blast" (or whatever CC calls it).  I assume that the only alternative to my TC8305C is the Arris TG862G.  I cannot go with just a modem b/c oh the phone line. Everything comes into the house via Coax so there is no way to split that off. 

If there are any other options, please let me know. This Arris TG862G seems to be difficult to find.  Does Comcast offer them? 

Expert

@TechDaze wrote:
I didn't say that it was the most up to date, or the best, I just said it was up to date. And it is. It is DOCSIS 3.0 and its still very much a very valid piece of equipment.

FWIW, having a fatter pipe to the internet / more bandwidth capability can never be a bad thing.

Regular Visitor

@Queen-Evie wrote:

I have Comcast phone service, a NON-gateway modem and my phone service works just fine.

Could you explain how you accomplished this?  I would love to ditch the arris gateway I have and buy something on the market, but nothing on the market seems to have the phone jacks required to connect a phone like the Comcast provided modem/gateway.

Contributor

The smcd3gnv is also viable. That is the one I used to have. It bridges well, as I had it bridged. I don't believe a FW update had been released for that one allowing you to enable bridge from the user interface, but can easily be done by the Home Networking Support dept.
Silver Problem Solver

@TechDaze wrote:
That is an amazon link duder. Please try to get one of those at your local service center. We are talking about trading it in, not purchasing

Actually, you did mention purchasing in Post 37 in this thread...

@TechDaze wrote:

3. You also have the option of going out and purchasing your own modem as well
http://devicelibrary.cable.comcast.com/devicelibrary/index?page=dev_det&pt=Internet&man=SACISCO&mod=...

above is a link to a list of compatible devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Expert

@balarren wrote:
Could you explain how you accomplished this?  I would love to ditch the arris gateway I have and buy something on the market, but nothing on the market seems to have the phone jacks required to connect a phone like the Comcast provided modem/gateway.

There may be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service The first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

If allowed, here is a very good current tech eMTA;

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-TM822G-Touchstone%C2%AE-Ultra-High-Telephony/dp/B00721TUNS

Be sure to purchase brand new modems in the original packaging from reputable retailers only !!

Here is a phone number for activating customer owned eMTA's;

1-800-931-0790

Contributor

Yes, but he was replying to a post reverting to what's available through CC.

are you guys board? Am I stepping on your toes? No one has helped the people in this forum for months. The info I have is accurate and good. Have. This info is important to them and your opinion of me doesn't matter. Stop trying to discredit me and please get a life.

If you think my info is wrong, please let CableLarry know and stop filling this forum with useless chatter.
Frequent Visitor

I spoke with my local Comcast folks and they said that I could buy my own and then return the problematic Technicolor.  The local Best Buy has the TG862G for $199 so I will probably go pick that up. 

I will post back with the results. 

Expert

IMNSHO, were I you, I would stay far far away from those troublesome combo modem / router gateway devices ! Especially the 862. Good luck !

Gold Problem Solver

@TechDaze wrote:

If you think my info is wrong, please let CableLarry  ComcastLarry   know and stop filling this forum with useless chatter.

Fixed it for you.

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

IMNSHO, were I you, I would stay far far away from those troublesome combo modem / router gateway devices ! Especially the 862. Good luck !

LOL...Thanks EG. So what do you suggest?  Any other solution requires that I break up Triple Play and do phone some other way. Correct? 

Expert

Please re-visit message number 63 above. Use a high quality stand alone of your choice with it.

Gold Problem Solver

@balarren wrote:

@Queen-Evie wrote:

I got the my modem a couple of years ago  when I exchanged a dosis 2 for a docsis 3 before they started pushing the gateway units.

I demanded a regular eMTA modem.