Community Forum

Gateways and Bridge Mode

Bronze Problem Solver

Gateways and Bridge Mode

Hello Everyone-

I see a lot of questions every week asking about the difference between a modem and a gateway. To better help everyone understand the differences between these two devices, I've created this thread in hopes of better explaing each device. I'll also explain bridge mode and the benefits of enabling bridge mode.

So, let's start from the very beginning.

Modem Vs Gateway

A modem is a device that converts signal from your ISP provider into a signal that a device with a Network Interface Card can then use to provide you with a means to reach the Internet. Basically, the modem provides you a way to reach the internet via a hardwired connection. To have a wireless connection within a limited area, a person would need a router to broadcast a wireless signal.

A gateway is basically a modem/router combo. In particular, the gateways provided by Comcast contain both a cable modem and a voice modem so that if a customer has both internet service and phone service, they do not need two devices for both services (three devices if you include a router). Gateways also include extra benefits such a routing (NAT) and security (firewalls).

The gateways currently provided by Comcast are:

SMC D3GNV

Arris TG862G

Arris TG852G

Technicolor TC8305C

Cisco XB3 (Cisco DPC3939)

All of these devices contain the cable modem, the voice modem and the wireless routing within a single unit. For more information on the devices, please see the following links:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-the-wireless-gateway/

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-2/

Bridge Mode

Although gateways have numerous functions they can perform, the wireless/routing portion of the unit can be limited by enabling bridge mode. When you bridge a gateway, you are basically removing the extra features of the gateway and turning the device into a plain modem. At this point, you will not be able to connect to the wireless connection from within the unit. If you want to continue utilizing a wireless connection, you would need to disable bridge mode or use a standalone router.

Currently, most gateways can be placed into bridge mode by the customer from their location. To enable bridge mode:

1. Have an active connection to internet from the gateway (preferably a hardwired connection).

2. Open a browser

3. In the address bar, type in: 10.0.0.1 - hit Enter or Return

4. You should be redirected to a login page asking for a username and a password. The default username is admin and the default password is password (if these settings were ever switched, you will need to perform a factory reset on the gateway to change them back to the default settings).

5. If successful, you will be redirected to the Gateway > At a Glance page and right on that same page, you should see an option to enable and disable bridge mode. When bridge mode is enabled, the word Enable will be surrounded by a green color. When birdge mode is disabled, you will see the word Disable surrounded by a reddish/orange colored box. Simply click on the word Enable or Disable to toggle your selection.

6. At that point, you may be redirected to a screen informing you that your gateway is updating. Afterwards, you will need to sign into your gateway again.

After bridge mode is enabled, all wireless capabilities from the gateway cease to function and only port 1 on the back of the gateway should be active.

If at any point you run inyo any trouble, please feel free to reach out to an Official Employee on the forums or you can call into 1-800-COMCAST and an agent from the Internet/Wireless department should be able to further assist.

Why Would I Want To Enable Bridge Mode

Reasons for enabling bridge mode vary from user to user. Some people prefer not to use any wireless features at all and do not wish to broadcast a wireless access point from their device. Other users prefer to use a router they were using once before. In this case, a customer can continue using both the wireless from the gateway and their router. However, there is a chance that having a wireless signal broadcasting from both the gateway and the router could cause interference with both signals or double NAT.

For more on Double Nat, see this link:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm

Conclusion

If you have any questions about Bridge Mode or need assistance enabling bridge mode, please feel free to reach out to me. I process requests ASAP, but if you need a faster response, please feel free to contact an agent via 1-800-COMCAST.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Gateways and Bridge Mode

So if i was using anohter router (Linksys WRT1900AC),I would plug the WAN/Inetrnet port from the Linksys to Port 1 of the DPC3939?

Then set the Linksys to PPPoE and use my Xfinity credentials (the credentials i log into the Xfinity site with)

That sound right?

Bronze Problem Solver

ksuper18 wrote:

So if i was using anohter router (Linksys WRT1900AC),I would plug the WAN/Inetrnet port from the Linksys to Port 1 of the DPC3939?

Then set the Linksys to PPPoE and use my Xfinity credentials (the credentials i log into the Xfinity site with)

That sound right?

Yes thats how you would hook your router to the gateway. 2. No PPPoE is for DSL internet not cable internet cable internet uses DHCP. Your WRT1900AC should auto detect what settings it needs to use during the setup process. 

Regular Visitor

Once in bridge mode, is the login to tc8305c still available at 10.0.0.1 using port 1?  In case I want to take out of bridge mode?

I tried connecting port1 of tc8305c and WAN port of Apple AIrport but never got an internet connection...the airport never saw the ethernet connection to the tc8305c, should the AIrport assign an IP to the modem via DHCP or is there some other configuration needed on the Airport for this to work?

Thanks,

Bob

New Poster

please explain to me why, when I enable Bridge mode (because i DO NOT WANT your wifi network interferring with my wifi network) that the WiFi option is still on the 10.0.0.1 at a glance under networks and the WiFi light is blinking on the modem AND the wifi network is showing up in my list of available connections.  The whole purpose to shutting this off is to SHUT IT OFF... 

Expert

gokiri wrote:

please explain to me why, when I enable Bridge mode (because i DO NOT WANT your wifi network interferring with my wifi network) that the WiFi option is still on the 10.0.0.1 at a glance under networks and the WiFi light is blinking on the modem AND the wifi network is showing up in my list of available connections.  The whole purpose to shutting this off is to SHUT IT OFF... 

If you have the TG862G, then you need to diasble it in 2 places.... ENABLE BRIDGE and DISABLE WIRELESS....

I did that to mine....I first Bridged it but the WIrless lIght was still on... went back in and disabled the wireless and now everything is up to snuff....

Good luck,

Ray

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Jesse,

I have an Arris TG862 and would like to test bridge mode for possible improved wireless performance from my wireless router. I followed your instructions but have found no explicit "bridge" option at the location you described or on any of the other 10.0.0.1 pages for my gateway. TIA for any suggestions.

I have changed the login password from the default, does that require a "factory settings" reset?

Regular Visitor

physinfoman,

Before starting this please disconnect from the xfinity wifi, then connect your computer to the gateway with an ethernet cable and plug the other side into Port 1 on the back of your gateways ethernet ports.

After logging onto your gateway setup page (10.0.0.1)
You'll be on the Gateway > At a glance page.

On the leftmost area of the page you'll see the clickable option that reads Connection.
Click on Connection which will open the drop down menu for 4 clickable links- click on Status.

The page title will display > Gateway > Connection > Status.

Now directly under that title you will see three Blueish highlighted boxes with titles that read:

Local IP Network and an edit button
Private Wi-Fi network and an edit button
& Xfinity network with only a view button

Click on the edit button to the right of the Local IP network box.

This will bring up the option to switch your gateway into Bridge mode.
Click the ENABLE button which will turn the button green.

Disabling the Wifi is the same procedure except now, from the Status screen where the box reads, Private WiFi network, click that edit button. This next page will bring up the option to Disable your Wireless network. When you click the Disable button it should turn red.

From then on in when you log on to your 10.0.0.1 it will show at the top of the page that your device is in bridge mode and your wifi light on the front of the device will be turned off. From there plug in your own wifi router to port 1 and you should be good. I rebooted mine after i turned the wifi off + enabled bridge mode.

Hope that helps.

New Poster

<red face> I had been trying to connect through my router instead of a direct computer to gateway connection. Everything worked as advertised. I also did a restart of my router.

Thanks much for your response.

Regular Visitor

No problem, you could have accessed your 10.0.0.1 gateway page from any device as long as its logged on to that same network but I think its a hassle since the gateway will be rebooting and doing things that can interrupt your connection and also hitting that wifi off button will kill the wifi connection so better off to just use wired.

Now if I could only access the edit portion of that "Xfinity Network" instead of a view only option I could probably take down the "no name" ssid that the gateway is still broadcasting even though I've disabled the public wifi option. 

ComcastJessie do you know how to disable the "no name" ssid still currently broadcasting from my gateway? I know its broadcasting from my gateway because the mac addresses are almost the same except for the first few digits and when I switched the channel on the comcast gateway (to avoid interferance with my personal routers broadcast) it also changed the channel of the no name ssid so Its kinda strange its there... I am able to get as far as a password screen when I target this ssid when i manually enter the ssid.

New Poster

I would like to disable the xfinity wifi by going into bridge mode and install my own Netgear Nighthawk router.  But I also have xfinity home security which uses its own router.  The xfinity cable modem has 4 ports.  If only one port (port 1) is operational when in bridge mode, how can I connect both my Nighthawk router and the xfinity security router?  Won't I need two ports to do this?

Regular Contributor

I put my Technicolor in "bridge" mode and hook up a Linksys E1200 wireless router now.  All seems well except the "wifi" on the Technicolor is still blinking.  Does this mean the "wifi" on the Technicolor is still engaged??  How do I shut that off??

Thanks

New Poster

I need some help.

I have the TC8305c set up in bridge mode.  (However, the Wifi light is still on).  It is connected through port 1 to my Netgear 9500 router which worked 100% fine with the old Motorola modem that was replaced by the TC last Tuesday.  The internet works just fine, until it doesn't.  About 7-10 times a day, the network cannot connect to the internet.  So, I login to 10.0.0.1 and reset the gateway, and bam, it works again.  Until a few hours/minutes later when, bam, it doesn't work again.  I have called Comcast about 25 times.  Their tech support says things like, "don't use your own router" or "turn off your modem and turn it back on again" or today, "go to a Comcast location and get a different (Arris) modem."  Telephone support is absolutely no help.

I have had  2 techs come out. Don't know what they did, but the problem is still the same as it was on day one.

Does anyone know what I can do to make the modem work as a modem and work with my router?

Please help.  If I can't get this working I will have to head to AT&T!

Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast gateways or very poor perfromers at best. Either have the gateway placed in bridge mode and use your own high quaility router or better buy your own modem and router save money and control your own network. If you have there phone service you may have to call to see if they allow customer owned telephone modems most markets do now but some dont.

New Poster

My modem IS in bridge mode.  See post above.  It still has to be reset multiple times per day because it stops working with the router.

New Poster

Tried this.  I had to take the modem out of bridge mode.  Then disable the wireless feature.  Then back into bridge mode which resets the gateway.  Aaaand the wireless light is still on and active.

If someone with Comcast could please reply.  Or I'll just terminate the service because it doesn't work.

Bronze Problem Solver

pgthor wrote:

Tried this.  I had to take the modem out of bridge mode.  Then disable the wireless feature.  Then back into bridge mode which resets the gateway.  Aaaand the wireless light is still on and active.

If someone with Comcast could please reply.  Or I'll just terminate the service because it doesn't work.

As stated if you can DUMP the comcast garbage gateway and save money and have a network that actually works. 

Regular Contributor

pgthor wrote:

I was gonna try this, but after reading this post, I guess it won't work for me either then with my 8305C!!  Fortunately though I am not experiencing any of the other disconnecting issues.  Wi-fi light just blinking on the 8305C. 

Someone from Comcast please chime in here!!

Frequent Visitor

It seems like a lot trouble heart ache and pain to disable WiFi on the Comcast modems.  You can take your device back to Comcast and get one without WiFi. That's what I did and it solved all my problems.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJesse - thanks for your posting - well written. I just posted this below. Thank you for your posting - I saw the Bridge Mode setting but was not sure how to use it. I conclude from your post I can use bridge mode and my own router - ( or even the fairpoint router which they left) and set up my home network? Question - I assume my router would have to change from 192.168.1.xxx to 10.0.0.xxx - correct?

"I switched to Comcast last week. I have set up my home network and with the exception of file sharing between my two computers - one wired and one wireless - every thing is working. I have mulitple other devices - printers, phones, Ipad, Roku - connected and they all work fine. I have spent countless hours trying to make this work with no success. Comcast sent me to support.com with no success. Both my computers are running Win 7 pro. Both are members of the same Homegroup. No matter what I do neither computer can "see" the other meaning I can not ping back and forth. I have poured over every possible router setting to find some provisioning  that fixes this. For a while I thought it had someting to do with parental controls - but that does not seem to be the case. I am confident that this problem has something to do with the router because of the following experiment. I previously had Faripoint. I fired that modem back up and connected my two computers - one wired and one wireless. My home network came up right away - bother computers seeing each other and directories and files visible from both.  PLEASE HELP!"

Frequent Visitor

Ray, So enabling bridge mode does not automatically disable wireless, you have to do that separately. Is it possible then to just disable the wireless, but keep gateway functionality? I want the modem to also be my LAN router, but without wireless, as I would attach my own WAP to one of the 4 LAN ports. I'd be using SMCD3GNV by the way. And while I'm at it, is that a good gateway to have for 105Mb Internet with Voice? I'd like to purchase the modem to avoid the rental fee.

Expert

sentinel1 wrote:

Ray, So enabling bridge mode does not automatically disable wireless, you have to do that separately. Is it possible then to just disable the wireless, but keep gateway functionality? I want the modem to also be my LAN router, but without wireless, as I would attach my own WAP to one of the 4 LAN ports. I'd be using SMCD3GNV by the way. And while I'm at it, is that a good gateway to have for 105Mb Internet with Voice? I'd like to purchase the modem to avoid the rental fee.

I have no working knowledge of the SMC...  I belive that only a few gateways allow the user the CHOICE wit that resepect,,,,

You should call into Comcast and ask them if they can disable only the wireless on your device..

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I have a Linksys WRT54G and a Belkin N600 DB N+. I want to physically connect them to my Arris TG862, configure them as wireless repeaters, then relocate them at opposite ends of the house to better broadcast the wi-fi to areas furthest from the wireless gateway. Can this be done, and, if so, how?

Currently, when I connect either router to the ethernet port(s) on the Arris, I get an amber light and a red light. I've tried with two different ethernet cables but can't connect to either from my laptop. Should I be doing this a different way?

Thanks.

New Poster

Hi  - i have the SMCD3GNV gateway and its upstairs. I would like to increase my wireless footprint downstairs and my wife bought me a Nighthawk AC1900 router.   I presume that i can't replace the COmcast gateway with this as i am using the phone functgion on the gateway too.  So if i want to improve wireless capability downstairs and out in yard,  ca i set up the Nighthawk without any ethernet hard wiring)?    Or should i use the hard wired netgear AC1200 extenders?

Thanks - it makes sense to replace the SMC box with something better i am game, seems like the wireless is not that speedy at all.

Frequent Visitor

It's always preferable to extent a wireless network by running Ethernet wire; however, your non-comcast equipment should be able to extend a network wirelessly. I use Apple's Airport Extreeme which is my router and main WAP is connected to the Comcast cable modem (w/o a built-in router, w/o wireless but w/VOIP). I have 2 Airport Expresses connected via Ethernet to provide better coverage in my house and yard.  I haven't read the manual on your devices but they should be about to be used to extend an existing network. Remember there should be only one router actioning as a router in your LAN. The others need to in extend a network mode.

Regular Visitor

Hi

I have an DPC3939 Xfinity Gateway.

I also have a Palo Alto personal Firewall for use as a Site-to-Site VPN to my corporate office in another state.

I had connected this PA device to one of the ports and configured the necessary items to establish the VPN, it was working fine for about 2 months, then my public IP changed. So i make all the necessary changes to both sides of the VPN to reflect said change, and since then I am unable to re-establish the VPN. The remote Peer no longer see any traffic from my public IP as all related to the VPN like port 500 etc.

I then placed the unit into Bridge mode as well, and this made no difference as well.

This leads me to believe that I am being blocked somewhere up the path thru comcast with the VPN protocals.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastJesse,

I have Comcast triple play in MA but I am writing on behalf of my father who has Comcast triple play in CA.

Up until Friday he had a leased DOCSIS 2 modem and a router that I set up for him. Comcast encouraged him to upgrade his modem and sent him a DOCSIS 3 gateway and a tech came out on Fri to install it as my father is not capable of doing it himself. I spoke with the tech on the phone and asked him to put the gateway in bridge mode. The tech admitted that he had no idea what that was. He also could not tell me which gateway was provided. Eventually a second tech came out and after speaking with him we got the gateway in bridge mode set by the office and everything appears to work. I have a VPN server set up on the router so that I can connect to it securely and then screen share with his Mac Mini.

This morning I connected and using the Chrome browser on my father's Mac Mini I tried to connect to the gateway using 10.0.0.1 but it would not connect. So I tried other common addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1. None worked. Again, everything else is working fine.

Is there any obvious reason I cannot get 10.0.0.1 to give me the gateway's web page interface? I thought maybe being connected to the VPN on the router might somehow interfere so I set the 10.0.0.1 address in Chrome, disconnected the VPN and had my father click the refresh page but that did not work either. I am at a loss how to connect to the gateway web pages.

Can you or anyone else offer any suggestions? Thanks.

New Poster

I go too link 10.0.0.1 and put my login in it doesn't let me in it is the correct info which is my xfinity credentials correct? None the less I just wanna get into the router.

Bronze Problem Solver

Hammond1212 wrote:

I go too link 10.0.0.1 and put my login in it doesn't let me in it is the correct info which is my xfinity credentials correct? None the less I just wanna get into the router.

Depends on what you mean by credentials. The information you need is on a sticker on the gateway probably on the bottom or side. Unless you have changed it and dont remember it. 

Regular Visitor

ComcastJesse,

Thanks for posting this information.  I'm hoping someone on this forum can help out with the next step.  I was able to turn the brdige mode on and confirmed that I still had internet access through port 1.  However, when I hooked my wireless router (a Netgeart WRT54G), it could not get an internet connection on it's own.  The wireless router is trying to set up a 192.168.0.xx nextwork, should I change that to 10.0.0.xx?  The router sees that it is a DHCP connection on the internet port, but doesn't seem to get on the network.  What step am I missing?

Thanks!

Expert

FWIW, Comcast Jessie hasn't been around here since 12/12/14.

Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the exact same issue as pgthor. I have the technicolor TC8305C gateway set to bridge mode connected to an Apple Airport Extreme which serves as the router on my network. If my network activity goes unused for an hour the connection to the internet drops.  I have to go into the Aiport Extreme and Renew DHCP lease which makes it work again.  I checked the logs in the gateway and it states that the uptime s over 30 days so that connection is solid. For some reason the connection b/w my router and the Comcast gateway is dropping. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

Bronze Problem Solver

stoots wrote:

I am experiencing the exact same issue as pgthor. I have the technicolor TC8305C gateway set to bridge mode connected to an Apple Airport Extreme which serves as the router on my network. If my network activity goes unused for an hour the connection to the internet drops.  I have to go into the Aiport Extreme and Renew DHCP lease which makes it work again.  I checked the logs in the gateway and it states that the uptime s over 30 days so that connection is solid. For some reason the connection b/w my router and the Comcast gateway is dropping. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

All i can say is comcast gateways are known very poor performers. The one you have is one of the worse. Is it possible to buy your own modem and router and take back control of your network? 

Frequent Visitor

I am all for that. What can I replace this gateway with? I have a coax in from Comcast and then ethernet out to my Apple router. 

What do you suggest? 

Contributor

I believe it should also be pointed out here that the Technicolor does not properly bridge from CC or from home location through router interface. This is a known issue that if not addressed, should at least be made known. I am an RST from Home Networking Support, and this is a known issue.

Contributor

No need to enable PPPoe on your router, just plug into port 1, enable Bridge mode through router interface on Wireless Gateway by navigating to 10.0.0.1. If this function is unavailable through the 10.0.0.1 interface, call 1800-comcast and ask for the Home Networking Support Dept when you get to Internet. You will be transferred to a tech that can Bridge the WG for you. At that point, usually after a soft reset, the WG will act as a regular modem. You will use your router as you normally would as well. You can set up the credentials on your router however you would like.

Contributor

pgthor,

Unfortunately with the TC8305 Technicolor Wireless Gateway, you will not be able to use Bridge mode. I am a remote technician with the Wirless Networking dept in Comcast. These particular wireless gateways do not bridge properly. They never have. If you would like to use your own router, you have a few options.

1. Replace the TC8305 for an Arris TG862g, or an SMCNetworks smcd3gnv. Both of these Wireless Gateways bridge properly. The most efficient way to bridge them is colling 1800 Comcast and asking for the Home Networking Support department. We will be able to enable bridge mode quickly with the tools we are provided.

2. If you do not have a Comcast landline, you really do not need the wireless gateway, and you can replace it with a straight through, regular modem. The Cisco DPC3000 or DPC3008 should be available in your area.

3. You also have the option of going out and purchasing your own modem as well
http://devicelibrary.cable.comcast.com/devicelibrary/index?page=dev_det&pt=Internet&man=SACISCO&mod=...

above is a link to a list of compatible devices.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

just keeps loading at the 10.0.0.1 page? hold the reset button in for 5 seconds and then try again after WG is back online. This will not reset the settings to the default.

Contributor

When you go to 10.0.0.1 to sign into the router, you are presented with a sign in page. On that page, Enter the following info

username: admin

password: password

all lowercase... if you get an error, hold in the little reset button on the back of the Wireless gateway for 30 seconds and it will factory reset, ensuring the correct administrative credentials

Contributor

pgthor,

Unfortunately with the TC8305 Technicolor Wireless Gateway, you will not be able to use Bridge mode. I am a remote technician with the Wirless Networking dept in Comcast. These particular wireless gateways do not bridge properly. They never have. If you would like to use your own router, you have a few options.

1. Replace the TC8305 for an Arris TG862g, or an SMCNetworks smcd3gnv. Both of these Wireless Gateways bridge properly. The most efficient way to bridge them is colling 1800 Comcast and asking for the Home Networking Support department. We will be able to enable bridge mode quickly with the tools we are provided.

2. If you do not have a Comcast landline, you really do not need the wireless gateway, and you can replace it with a straight through, regular modem. The Cisco DPC3000 or DPC3008 should be available in your area.

3. You also have the option of going out and purchasing your own modem as well
http://devicelibrary.cable.comcast.com/devicelibrary/index?page=sel_man&pt=Internet

above is a link to a list of compatible devices.

Hope this helps.

Expert

TechDaze wrote:

I am an RST from Home Networking Support, and this is a known issue.

You may not be aware of this fact: Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrator in order to post in an official capacity. Employees have their names in RED and are designated as such.

If not authorized they can post here but cannot state they are employees. Nor can they allude to being employees.

You can contact the community manager here (Comcast Larry) about it;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4671561

Contributor

I did not know this... But I know what the issue is, I am giving good Information, and there are multiple posts regarding. I state my position to show that I am speaking from experience.

Expert

Doesn't matter. Protocol is protocol although we appreciate the help here.

Contributor

Fair enough, but clearly there are many people that have been asking for months about this issue, How about some that is "Authorized"  to post help them out and let them know what I just did. 

Expert

I'm not an employee so I can not answer that authoritatively. Perhaps you should ask that to your superiors.

Contributor

Perhaps you should MYOB in that case. I am giving good information to good people. This is the Internet and I have a freedom of speech. 

These people deserve to know what I told them. If you are not an employee of CC then you have no authority to tell me what I can and cannot post in here.

I am not doing anything but giving good sound advice and letting them know what to expect. Go babysit a different forum

Expert

Dude...

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the advice TechDaze. I don't care if you're authroized or not. I will go check out that Arris TG862G cable modem.  It's the only advice I have received. 

This past Saturday a Comcast tech came out and tested the line and the signal was coming in "hot" because of an amplifier I have at my home run.  He said that the hot signal can lead to disconnects and timeouts. So I was hopeful  He brought the signal down to something like 19-20 (not sure what their measurement is).  A day later, the same thing is happening wherein I reset the DHCP lease every morning. 

FWIW, My Technicolor TC8305C does have a bridge mode which is enabled.  I am hoping the Arris modem has the same feature so I don't have to call Comcast support and tell them to enable bridge mode.  Most of the time, the support folks are like..."bridge what"? Then they put me on hold to go look it up. 

Expert

stoots wrote:

He brought the signal down to something like 19-20 (not sure what their measurement is).  

FWIW, that is still out of spec.

Contributor

YW. That is why I posted. So that it might shed a little light for all of you. The newest Arris FW does support the feature to enable it from the user interface, but as a lot have stated, you will need to manual disable the wireless after enabling bridge mode. If you have any issues, there is never a waiting line for Home Networking Support that I know of, and it is a simple bridge from their end.