Community Forum

GATEWAY XB6-T and ACCESS POINT(s)

Frequent Visitor

GATEWAY XB6-T and ACCESS POINT(s)

I converted two routers to access points for remote areas of my home, they appeared to be working ok until I daisy chained them and moved one into the garage to facilitate the RING Floodlight Cam.  When I tried to connect wifi to RING I was unable to log into the wifi band on the Access Point.  I have been unable to find info on this.   I chatted with Xfinity but I'm not convinced the information I received was entirely correct:   "... for access point setup our process for Comcast is that if you wish to use your routers and connect this to our XFinity modem this would require us to set the settings of our modem to "Bridge mode" to turn off the broadcast of wifi on our modem for your routers to have Internet access."  "... we cannot process adding the access point cause if you still wish to use our XB6 modem's wifi.  We can recommend for you to use our XFinity xFi pods instead so that you can expand wifi on your home than using a router."

Expert

Re: GATEWAY XB6-T and ACCESS POINT(s)

@26245 wrote:

I converted two routers to access points for remote areas of my home, they appeared to be working ok until I daisy chained them and moved one into the garage to facilitate the RING Floodlight Cam.  

"Daisy chained"? What exactly do you mean?

Setting up old routers as APs isn't that hard, but each manufacturer has specific instructions on how to do it. (I have an older Apple Airport Extreme 6th gen set up as an AP in conjunction with my ASUS RT-AC88U router).

I'd suggest digging out the instruction manuals for the old routers and see if you've done it right. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!