Community Forum

Friend visiting-unable to access my xfinity wifi

Frequent Visitor

Friend visiting-unable to access my xfinity wifi

I have a friend visiting and I want him to access my xfinity wifi from his tablet which is a mac-have tried everything. It says he is connected but he isn't.

He has also tried accessing with his pc which is not a Mac

He has connected before at another visit with pc

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Friend visiting-unable to access my xfinity wifi

Does he have his own Comcast ID to logon to the xfinitywifi?  If he's using your Comcast ID, then it might have something to do with a 5 device limit per account to access xfinitywifi hotspots.

It won't connect automatically until each device has authenticated on the xfinitywifi at some time, then the MAC address of the device is remembered by the system and then will connect automatically.

Frequent Visitor

So are you telling me that now that I have the wifi hot spot that I didn't ask for I have a 5 device limit which I don't have that many devices that when my friends visit from out of town then they are unable to connect? Because I have more than 5 friends that stay with me when passing through.

Diamond Problem Solver

Your friends would need to be Comcast HSI subscribers and use their own Comcast id and password, or purchase the retail xfinitywifi plan.

If you gave them your Comcast id to logon, then from now on, everytime they came across a xfinitywifi hotspot, they would automatically connect and that data useage would be going to your account, running up your data each month.

Many people with 3rd party routers have the ability to add their own guest network with it's own private password and the owner can turn on guest access whenever they had visitors.  These units don't depend on using Comcast credentials to access the guest network.

Frequent Visitor

I gave him my comcast password so that he could connect. It did not work as it did a year ago when he came through. I don't understand how it can use my data usage-I didn't even know I have a limit as I do on smart phone. He doesn't have a smart phone. All I want is for my friends who visit a day or two at a time be able to use my home wifi and I do not understand how a year ago they were able to and now they are not.

Silver Problem Solver

Spanky44 wrote:

I gave him my comcast password so that he could connect. It did not work as it did a year ago when he came through. I don't understand how it can use my data usage-I didn't even know I have a limit as I do on smart phone. He doesn't have a smart phone. All I want is for my friends who visit a day or two at a time be able to use my home wifi and I do not understand how a year ago they were able to and now they are not.

First of all,giving him your Comcast username and password was inadviseable. I don't care how much of a friend a person claims to be,they don't get my passwords. Now,on to the problem...

I believe that there is a limit on the number of devices that can log in to xfinitywifi that can be associated with an account. I understand that limit is 5. It is possible that you visitors cannot log into the xfinitywifi hotspot using your username and password because that limit is being  reached. If you have given your username and password to all of your visitors, it is also possible that it is pretty public by now, unless your friends are ALL of impeccable integrity, and wouldn't think of giving your credentials to one of their friends that might need to use an xfinitywifi hotspot.

Also, any data that you (or your friends, and possibly their friends) download while on the xfinitywifi using your usernameand password counts against yourmonthly usage.  ALSO,if any of your friends (or possibly their friends) are engaged in downloading of illegal copyrighted materials, it will be flagged against your account.

By giving out your Comcast username and password, you have also provide your friends (and possibly theirs) access to your Comcast account and your email account with Comcast. I hope yours isn't the Primary login for the account!!

Moral  -  sharing usernames and passwords with 'friends' is a bad idea. If you really have that many friends staying at your house, you should follow prevoius advice,and get your own router that will provide for a guest wifi connection that you can have a seperate login and password for that isn't associatedwith any of your online accounts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

You are not listening to me. Last year my friend and son who visited me were able to sign into my wifi with my password (never gave anyone my user name) which is from xfinity and is at least 15-20 characters long and they typed it in from a paper that I had from xfinity and they were able to connect and now they are not able to do that and I want to know why. My son has comcast account so I will see if he can sign in when he visits next month. I have nothing from xfinity that says I am limited to 5 devices nor have I seen anything from them about limit to data but then comcast is not the most trustworthy company. I am on an old fashioned Dell computer with windows 7. I'm not connecting through a smart phone. I am old-my friends are old and honest.

Diamond Problem Solver

We might not really get you the answer you want, but check the xfinitywifi faq's here

https://wifi.comcast.com/faqs.php

Go to the section on managing your devices, there is a link to see what devices are authorized to your account by following the instructions.

This is actually new to me, and must be a recent addition, before I never could see old mobile devices that had been previously registered.  Now I can see when they were registered and a choice to remove them.  That is good, since I have traded in several devices that were registered.  

I'd look over the list and maybe clear out devices you don't remember, and start fresh adding your friends when needed.

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 6.09.04 PM.png

Frequent Visitor

Thank you!! That has some answers-hot spot 5 devices but it looks like I can delete them when they leave. Somewhere read 7 devices. The only ones listed were my friend and his wife's 3 devices.

Diamond Problem Solver

When I pulled up mine, it had 6 listed.

Frequent Visitor

I should have said the 7 devices were I believe, for the home wifi. My husband used to take care of all this stuff before he died so I'm learning all kinds of things I never wanted to learn.

Silver Problem Solver

Are you saying that your visitors are not signing into the xfinitywifi hotspot, but into your own home wifi network provided by your Comcast gateway? If so, that is a whole different ball game.

The reasons they might not be able to log in to that are:

• Passphrase changed
  • MAC address restrictions
  • Incompatible Authentication/encryption settings between router and computer/device.
  • Exhausted DHCP addresses. (Range of addresses available not large enough to provide for your devices and theirs)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

A year ago when they visited there was no xfinity hotspot and yes they signed in via comcast gateway at that time and had no difficulty. They have two mac devices and one Dell and could not except for very temporary very short periods have access. I don't even understand what hotspots are.or how they work. If the passphrase changed then how can I still get online? I didn't change it nor was I notified it was changed. I checked the device situation and I haven't hit the max. I thought it might have to do with macs but one Dell had the same problem

New Poster

If I'm understanding correctly Xfinity hot spot  uses your data

home wifi is free to anyone you give your personal password to as long as you have a modem and your in range.

Gold Problem Solver

hotchilid wrote:

If I'm understanding correctly Xfinity hot spot  uses your data

home wifi is free to anyone you give your personal password to as long as you have a modem and your in range.

No matter which you use, you are still using data that will count against your cap if you have one.

Diamond Problem Solver

Your better off giving them your HOME-xxxx wi-fi password.  Remember, once a device is registered to the xfinitywifi system, that device will continue to connect over and over again to any in range xfinitywifi hotspot where ever your friends travel, around town or around the country.  That data they are using, will be on your account from now on until you go into your online account and remove their device. 

New Poster

I understand exactly what you are saying... I can't log on to xfinity wifi hotspot with my cellphone and I am an xfinity customer... These people are just not getting it... If you choose to give that info to friends, that's your business and none if theirs. I would call xfinity and ask them how to fix the problem. You can have whomever you want have your access information!
Diamond Problem Solver

Two and a half year old dead thread now being closed. Please create your own new topic here detailing your issue.