Community Forum

Frequent lag spikes, jitter in online games ongoing for a few months

Frequent Visitor

Frequent lag spikes, jitter in online games ongoing for a few months

Want to see if anyone might be able to help on here instead of going through the usual basic steps with the comcast chat team that either 1) doesn't solve the issue or 2) they say they dont see an issue. To be honest at this point i wish it was just a constantly high ping/lag instead of intermittent this way the issue would be easier to spot.

Probably in the start of around november/december i started getting lag spikes while playing Counter Strike. In these lag spikes I mean it feels like i am rubber banding for a second, hitting an invisible wall, or completely freeze for a little bit. Aside from the lag spikes, I have two friends whom i play with that both have comcast, 1 lives ~6 miles north and 1 ~6 miles south, and every night during the time frame that i am experience the lag spikes my ping is about 20-30ms higher than them in the same server.

One of these friends actually had pretty much the same issue as me back in spring of this year and his issue only seemed to gain steam and get resolved once he posted here so I figured I'd give it a shot too (http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Frequent-lag-spikes-jitter-in-online-ga...)

The first time I contacted comcast about this they basically stated that my modem was too old and didn't support the speeds of Blast(which is b*ll. 1) the modem was fine for the past few years and this problem just started happening 2) my issue wasn't not hitting my speed caps, it was lag spikes and packet loss.). Seeing as I didn't think comcast would help me now because "my modem is unsupported" i went out and bought one of the new certified NetGear CM500. I have now been on that modem for a week and am still seeing an issue. I talked to comcast chat a 2nd time and they reset the modem/did whatever they normally do to reset signal or what not. 

After they reset the modem and said the problem was solved, i hopped into a game with my friends and to my surprise my ping was the same as theirs and I was not experiencing any problems. However after about 30minutes my ping jumped back up and i was having lag spikes again.

When i ping yahoo or google in cmd prompt i sometimes catch the issue where one of the packets times out or 1 or more of the packets have over 100ms. I decided to set up a ping plotter while i was playing the other day and I definitely have a lot of jitter and you can see packet loss - http://imgur.com/a/TdOTH

Quite frankly I am just frustrated and exhausted. I went through this about 3-4 years ago with comcast to the point where they even came out and installed a new cable line running from the box outside directly to my cable modem. If i recall that didn't even resolve the issue but it actually finally just stopped happening about a month after they did that. I heard all sorts of things during that time even up to "the change in weather". I don't really have the energy to go through this again and was hoping someone here can help me out. My daily internet functions are fine but it is pretty frustrating trying to play a shooter and lagging mid fire fight every single night.

As mentioned, i recently bought a new cable modem. I have replaced both ethernet cables running from from cable modem -> router and router -> pc. I have tried directly hooking the modem up to my PC to bypass the router and no luck. I checked my modem signal levels and they are all within the "good ranges"

Apologize for the lengthy post. Appreciate any insight

Frequent Visitor

Re: Frequent lag spikes, jitter in online games ongoing for a few months

Just did a ping test since we are getting into the evening. pinged google 10 times and you can see how 1 of the pings spikes to 135ms

http://i.imgur.com/hwihaoG.jpg

New Poster

Where are you from?

I have a similar issue in Germantown, MD.

check out my post:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Packet-loss-and-Horrible-Ping-on-local-...

Regular Visitor

Im having the same issues on BO3 on 360 I keep getting constang ping spikes, jitter etc. I downloaded a program called ping plotter I think and tried to ping google for 10 mins and there were some spikes on the chart.

Im in Illinois, is there anyway to fix these problems? I have a docsis 3 4x4 modem would a 16x4 modem even help with ping and jitter etc?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks RF_Engineer thats helpful. I am actually from Illinois as well mtb555. About 40minutes south of Chicago.

So I did a little more troubleshooting tonight when i got home from work. Interesting results to say the least/will have to do some more digging on my end. I opened up ping plotter right away when i got home and noticed I had packet loss within the first 3 hops again. This was with the router plugged in.

In order to try and see if its the router again, i unplugged the router setup and plugged the cable modem directly in to to my PC. Ping plotter was no longer showing any issues on the first 3 hops, just something with like the 6th hop some ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net. I dont know a lot about networking but can probably chalk that up to just how they are filtering traffic maybe.

Since it was fine now with cable modem directly into the PC, i plugged the router back in. Suddenly the router has been fine now for the first 3 hops as well. 

This is interesting because i attempted the same thing last night and had similar results. I am wondering if there is something with me unplugging ethernet cables/unplugging the power on the cable modem that is causing the signal to reset and be "at full strength" again? And maybe something causes the signal to degrade over time? No idea how that works but just an observation for now. I also disabled the 2.4ghz wireless network that i have running and upgraded the firmware on my router so i added a couple additional variables there unfortunately. (i found some really old posts from googling where someone mentioned upgrading their firmware, and another guy mentioned that his 2.4ghz wireless was running at the same signal as a telephone and causing interference. I dont have a home phone, only a cell phone, but figured nobody is using that anyway so wouldnt hurt to disable it. I still have the 5ghz wireless network running. Maybe disabling that is a next step too but i think i can cover that with the cable modem test mentioned in the next section)

I am going to keep the ping plotter running tonight and also check back in tomorrow night and see if the issue is still occuring. If it is i will try unplugging again and see if I get the same result. If i do I honestly dont know where that leads me though. Perhaps the next test after that will be to plug the modem directly into my PC and leave it in all day while i am at work and then see if it has an issue by the time i get home too. If that does have an issue then i can eliminate the router being an issue again and maybe start looking at the signal theory if thats even possible.

Also as another aside that might just be a red herring but for the sake of full disclosure... Generally my first hops go in order of Me -> romeoville comcast IP address -> elmhurst comcast IP address. Right now in ping plotter(which runs continuous trace routes) I noticed that the elmhurst IP address keeps changing with each traceoute(assuming I am hitting a load balancer). There is 1 IP address though that keeps popping up with packet loss each time i hit that one, the other 2/3/4 IP's that i seem to hit do not. Again I am not sure if that is just a configuration thing, or if there is something to that where something is wrong with that IP address.

Maybe someone smarter than me can speak on that in how it relates to gaming. If i enter a server is my route completely static to that server then? Or does that route change? i.e. for simplicity sake lets say 1 minute while im in the server my route is Me -> Comcast elmhurst A -> server and is fine. But then the next minute my route is me -> comcast elmhurst B -> server which the B address is the one that i see packet loss on? Screenshots of that elmhurst problem IP: http://imgur.com/a/M5z2r

editing again: Looks like the most recent ping plots the past 5min for hitting that "problem IP" in elmhurst have been fine. no packet loss when hitting that specific one that was giving me PL every time before for the 10 minute window. Not sure if thats a "oh yeah thats just how it is sometime" or if that means something was going on for that 5-10 minute period each time i hit that IP address and now it is fine.

Frequent Visitor

I ran ping plotter this morning while i was getting ready for work just to see if there were any issues. With the router connected there was none. Seemingly confirming my theory that it only happens at night starting around primetime of everyone getting off work/being home and running through the night

Frequent Visitor

Figured I would just update the forum incase anyone is following or happens to see

I got home tonight with the router combo plugged in and immediately after running the ping plotter i saw packet loss. I tried resetting the cable modem to see if the theory of resetting would hold, it did not. I was still having packet loss. I tried hooking up the modem directly to my PC again and was still experiencing packet loss, even worse actually for a little while after. Sometimes i was completely locking up in game. (screenshot when being connected directly modem -> PC http://i.imgur.com/fpgst9L.jpg )

At this point I just don't see how it can be on my end. This weekend i will probably start chatting with technicians more to start the escalation process. I know we have to start from the bottom and work our way up for troubleshooting, just was hoping I would come to some miraculous conclusion myself or someone from comcast would see this post, see my friends past post, and know what to look for. Because unfortunately that means i am going to have to be taking off work for technicians to come out and look which is pretty inconvenient. 

Frequent Visitor

Update: came home tonight, saw packet loss still. trying to watch somethings on streaming services and its freezing more often than usual. Chatted a support agent again, they noted that my modem seemed to be showing a status of Yellow/Red and timeout. Had me reseat the coax cable and they reset the modem again. Problem seemed okay for a bit but that was the same thing that happened when i talked to an agent on 1/9 and after about 30-40min the issue was back. Explained that to the agent and I have a technician scheduled to come out sunday to check the outside lines

Really think it has to be something node related though since the problem is most prevalant during times that I would venture a guess are heavy internet traffic times. Not so sure the technician is going to find anything on a Sunday afternoon but lets hope

Frequent Visitor

I am in Germantown, MD too.  Since sometime in early December I started to notice the lag spikes and packet loss.  I work from home a lot, and I haven't been able to use my VPN because it keeps going in an out all the time.  At least my virtual desktop is still functional and can work that way. 

My download and upload speeds are all over the place as well.  I haven't called support since its intermittant for the most part.  I notice when I log into World of Warcraft too, my pings start off at around 42 ms, but can go up to 1800 ms that I have seen.  I notice with watching videos on some sites that just do minimal buffering, its constantly rebuffering.

At least I know I am not alone in this now. 

Frequent Visitor

Pretty much the same for me. My ping will spike in CSGO and ill be warping about. If i am watching streams on twitch.tv sometimes they will freeze often as if its buffering to the point where i have to refresh my browser and then its fine again.

as another update for my issue:

I had a technician come out today. Explained the situation to him, he agreed that it sounded very weird. I showed him all my screenshots of packet loss/ping but explained to him he likely wasn't going to find a problem here at all and definitely not at 2pm in the afternoon since it seems to be most apparant at night. He checked the signal on my modem everything was good, said my connection was fine. Checked the box on the outside and said everything was good there, he replaced some fittings on the outside box just to see if that would help anything. Told me there wasn't anymore he could do on his end and agreed maybe its something with the node being overloaded during peak traffic times. Said to contact support again when it happens and let them know a technician already came out and checked and everything was fine.

Tonight i was playing and again i started lagging and warping all over the place. Forgot to get a screenshot of me having a consistent 40 ping while my friend 6 miles away had 18. Do have a couple more screenshots of pings being high and timing out again. http://imgur.com/a/zNrX7

Chatting with comcast again while typing this and asked if they can escalate it further. Actually a little disappointed this post hasnt gained any traction from anyone at comcast with having 2 people in IL and 2 people in MD now having the same issues. Since my friends post caught on with someone pretty quickly. Curious if my neighbors technically have the same issue but since they aren't gamers it pretty much goes unnoticed since it's fairly unnoticable to the the regular internet user just browsing web pages and what not.

Frequent Visitor

Welp. Just finished chatting with them again. This was unfortunately the worst experience i have had with a comcast tech. After 20 minutes they were still asking me for my account information etc and telling me they don't see the modem i provided them on the account. I thought it was strange the agent asked for the serial number but i thought they were going down the path of getting more details about my modem thinking that is the culprit for some reason. Once i realized that he/she should have asked for the MAC address and not serial number then they were able to see it and all they wanted to do was reset it (which has already been done). They said they reset it(which i am not even sure if they did because i never lost connection)and i said that doesn't help the problem still occurs i was wondering if i could get this escalated and they stated they can send a technician out. *facepalm*

I asked if there is any escalation path past them like supervisors or something that they can send this case over to but they said the best they can do is send a technician out. I explained again I already had a technician out today and they stated they could schedule another one. *sigh* Looks like I am going to have to resort to spending time on the phone with them now for this issue each night. Now I am really wishing this forum post would catch traction with someone at comcast. At least when I am chatting with someone i can multi task and do other things rather than spending time on the phone when I dont even think the issue is something they need me for to look into anymore. Starting to cross over into the point of frustration now.

Frequent Visitor

Seems we aren't the only ones having problems. someone else made another thread discussing the same issues

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Nightly-lag-packet-loss-and-the-lack-of...

Crazy that this is a problem affecting multiple states??

Regular Visitor

I am having similar issues everynight since January 5th. 2 techinician visits and no progress. I am at Freedom, PA.

Full story is here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/The-Internet-keeps-disconnecting/td-p/2...

New Poster

Same issue in Illinois.  After an hour of being through online chat and having them reset and tell me everything was fine they sent out a tech.  Tech said everything looked ok, he replaced most of the connectors to get the noise levels more in line, and it was fine while he was here and for a bit after he left.  Now I'm back to packet loss and disconnections.

I was gone over Christmas and everything was fine for years prior to 12/25/15, but since coming back on 1/4/16, gaming is a waste of time.  

Frequent Visitor

Yep sounds the same as well. For giggles i saw someone in another thread was saying they go to pingtest.net and receive Line Quality's of A during the day and D/F at night. Decided to give it a shot and sure enough i get a D as well lol - http://i.imgur.com/AOxzCNj.jpg

Regular Visitor

Yeah, same thing here.

Sample: https://imgur.com/BVvqqsA

Basically unusable for online gaming, slowdown for other things too, especially youtube.

New Poster

Same problem has been happening in San Jose at least since december pretty much daily.. connection and modem has worked pretty much perfectly for over a year that I have lived here but after dec this so called 150Mbps connection is just useless. Took me three tries to even get a reply posted due to all the disconnections.. Already bought a new modem just to try with (so at least SB6183 and SB6190 have same issue).

5+ different PCs, including Linux, OSX, Windows all same problem: MASSIVE PACKET LOSS TO THE FIRST COMCAST NODE, example from 1/19 @ 11-11:30pm:

--- 24.6.160.1 ping statistics ---

239 packets transmitted, 164 packets received, 31.4% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 9.165/24.920/460.885/36.899 ms

Working traceroute to google public dns looks like this:

$ traceroute 8.8.8.8

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1  router.asus.com (192.168.1.1)  4.123 ms  0.573 ms  0.724 ms

2  24.6.160.1 (24.6.160.1)  20.685 ms  17.017 ms  17.953 ms

3  te-0-1-0-15-sur04.sanjose.ca.sfba.comcast.net (162.151.30.77)  12.746 ms  15.619 ms  13.064 ms

4  hu-0-3-0-2-ar01.hayward.ca.sfba.comcast.net (68.87.192.233)  22.601 ms

hu-0-3-0-1-ar01.hayward.ca.sfba.comcast.net (68.87.192.229)  16.972 ms

hu-0-3-0-3-ar01.hayward.ca.sfba.comcast.net (68.87.192.237)  21.109 ms

5  he-0-19-0-0-ar01.santaclara.ca.sfba.comcast.net (68.85.154.253)  13.905 ms

hu-0-18-0-1-ar01.santaclara.ca.sfba.comcast.net (68.85.57.177)  13.466 ms

he-0-19-0-0-ar01.santaclara.ca.sfba.comcast.net (68.85.154.253)  12.064 ms

6  be-33651-cr01.sunnyvale.ca.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.90.93)  20.350 ms  18.587 ms  21.044 ms

7  be-11624-cr02.dallas.tx.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.94)  19.566 ms

he-0-12-0-0-pe02.529bryant.ca.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.166)  18.921 ms

68.86.87.14 (68.86.87.14)  36.364 ms

8  66.208.228.70 (66.208.228.70)  24.883 ms  24.152 ms  18.759 ms

9  216.239.49.11 (216.239.49.11)  20.708 ms

216.239.50.191 (216.239.50.191)  19.626 ms  19.195 ms

10  216.239.56.127 (216.239.56.127)  24.881 ms

216.239.49.121 (216.239.49.121)  17.505 ms

209.85.255.255 (209.85.255.255)  18.626 ms

11  google-public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8)  17.856 ms  16.893 ms  20.224 ms

I have a ton of logs from multiple days already. Comcast technician visited to mess with wires which did absolutely nothing. Resetting routers, modems and all the usual does nothing. Filed an FCC complaint too..

Signal levels in the modem are looking perfect. When the connection works I can download 170+ Mbps even over wifi.. but once packet loss starts happening, nothing works at all. It even happens middle of the night sometimes.

This is just ridiculous.. same complaint from multiple people, similar timelines (problems started around nov-dec 2015). Comcast response is needed on this asap. I am ready to just disconnect the whole service, but unfortunately there is no choice.. hopefully google fiber comes to San Jose as soon as possible Smiley Sad

New Poster

Same thing happening here in Charlottesville, Virginia. It's been especially bad the last week after a heavy rain.

The first technician that we had come out flat-out stated it's a problem further down the line, and they had to do line tests and replace the cable somewhere else outside of our apartment. They also checked the pole, and the issue was not there.

However, Comcast has dropped our whole case and is making us restart it because Maintenance did not call us back. As a notice to all of you, MAKE SURE if the tech states that it's a main line issue, THAT HE ESCLATES IT WHILE HE IS THERE. Comcast seems to delete all information related to the case after 72 hours of no contact from maintenance to the customer.

It's extremely frustrating. Get documented proof that the issue is escalated to maintenance before someone leaves your house.

Frequent Visitor

Same issue for me the past week.  Once 4 PM PST rolls around the connection flat out dies for no reason.  I'm able to game or stream video with very little issue.  After 4 till about 8 or 9 the problems persist and gaming becomes unplayable with warping/general lag and disconnects, and video streaming constantly buffers and is low quality.  This is in the California Bay Area.

Frequent Visitor

Update from Germantown, MD.  I live in a townhouse complex around Father Hurley and Crystal Rock. Starting around 11:30 AM today (1/21/2016), my internet and tv would go out for 15 to 30 mins at a time until 7 PM tonight.  There was a Comcast truck down the street a little and he was working on one of those boxes used for equipment and underground wires.    The tech seemed to move to different boxes in the area.  When the internet was back up, it was more stable than before.  As I noted in my previous reply about my work vpn, it was doing a constant reconnection cycle, but in the early evening tonight it was pretty stable with a vpn reconnection cycle only a couple times over a 30 mins period when the connection was up. 

I just logged into World of Warcraft to check the pings/latency there.  Seems pretty stable after being logged in for 20 mins or so. Normal is 40 to 42 ms, its 53 ms after 20 mins.

I did a speed test at 8 PM, and the speed was horrible.  I pay for 150 Mbps, but the tests gave me between 20 and 80 Mbps.  I will test tomorrow morning at around 8 AM.  In the morning, they are usually very good.  So, less people using, higher speeds.  Just did another speed test and got 80 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up at 10:48 PM EST.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the update Kaillus. I engaged comcast on twitter now as well to see if the twitter support folks have access to "more advanced" people than the ones i have talked to. Hoping to gain some ground there.

Funny enough, my friend that i mentioned a few times previously on this thread that is 6 miles away and had no issues, started having issues last night when we got home from work. Both of us had the same exact issue where we were playing in a server that we normally should have around 20ms to and we had 80ms and the game was stuttering/teleporting quite frequently--worst its ever been for me in the last few months(and thats saying something). This afternoon while we were at work his girlfriend said world of warcraft was unplayable because it was still happening. We got home from work this evening and it seems his internet is fine now and mine is back to what it was--still bad but not quite like it was last night. Not sure if that confirms there are issues in this area, or if they were doing maintenance on something that we both were being routed to or what. I checked the site while it was happening and per the site there were no reported outages or maintenance though.

Hopefully your issue is resolved now and they just need to correct your speed. Please shoot an update on here if you are seeing improvement now as I'd be curious to point the techs that i talk to in that direction and be like "look!! this guy was having the same issue and noticed techs out in his area and now its better!!! what did they do?!?!?" (yeah i know im dreaming) Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Just finished talking to the support on twitter....im not holding my breath/having high hopes but I am glad i finally reached someone that can hopefully kick this up a little higher. I sent him this thread and all the screenshots i have taken along with the times and days they were taken and got this response:

"

Thank you for that information. What I will do is pull up the node that you are on and send this information to the local engineering team in your area and ask that they review this information to see if they notice any node capacity issues during peak hours. Once I receive a response, I will reach back out to you.

"

Frequent Visitor

Friday night update.

Went all day and my VPN was fine all day for work.  In the morning at 8:10 AM, my DL speed was 168 Mbps.  I just tested again at 7:28 PM on Friday night, and its under 11 Mbps.  Must be a ton of people on the internet streaming.  They must have horrible overall bandwidth to drop so much right before what is even called prime time.

Frequent Visitor

Same issue tonight.  I don't see why this randomly happens out of nowhere for me.  I was fine for months and now it's terrible.  I would expect Friday night to be a bit lighter for usage, and it's still a major issue.

Frequent Visitor

Well gents, i think my fight is over unfortunately.

The local engineers got back to the agent that was assigned to my case. Pretty much what ive been saying the problem was since day 1...wish i didnt have to jump thru all the hoops to get the answer though. They stated that the problem is because my node is over 90% capacity (meaning there are way too many people on the 1 single node in my area). My area is scheduled to have a node split in Q2 of this year. (basically directing traffic to another node, or adding another node for traffic to go to so there are 2 nodes) Unfortunately, the engineers couldn't provide a date but they told me there isn't anything they can do until the node split which could happen in April or could happen in June. I have another half a year to go through this still until it is fixed.

I asked if there was anything else they can do, upgrade me to a different tier, etc but they stated that everything in this area no matter what the speed/class/tier is on the same node so that will not help. I asked them for compensation because I am paying for something that doesn't work when i use it. While it is intermittent, it happens to be intermittent during the only time that i actually use the internet. They stated that since the uptime itself/issue itself is not occuring more than 90% of the time the best they could do was give me a one time credit of $150. (which i guess if you wanna do the math is about the equivlent of 2 free months of blast internet)

Unfortunately my hands are tied because AT&T's higher speeds aren't available in this area for some reason. So either i cancel and take some bad DSL speed or i put up with it until it is fixed. Here's to hoping google fiber moves in as quick as possible so comcast isn't the only option for people anymore. Then maybe they would be ahead of issues like this instead of 7 months behind them.

For those of you that are having issues try to see if you can get it escalated to "more advanced support" to check the nodes in your areas

New Poster

I get this "Lag" problem off an on all the time. Sometimes the Internet is almost unuseable - and Comcast does not seem to care.  Very frustrating. I wonder if my connection is over-sucscribed?  Is there away to test for that specifically?

I'm in San Rafael CA

DSL Reports says:

The browser stalled frequently during the test.

This error refers to unexpected short stalls in the javascript engine of the browser.