Community Forum

Frequent Internet Drops (MDD Messaging time-out, etc)

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Frequent Internet Drops (MDD Messaging time-out, etc)

For the past several months I've been experiencing dozens of drops in our internet service every day. They occur at seemingly random times with no obvious triggers. The Event Log from my router / modem (Netgear C6250) show that these drops always correspond with "MDD message timeout" or "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - no response received" errors. I've checked all connections and there are no splitters on this cable. Wire from the pole comes into the house, goes through a grounding block, and direct wire to modem.  Here are the error logs and modem stats from some recent drops:

43ACB8E8-9C9E-463B-8C9F-2C25965FF40C.jpeg

0C9D9A87-CD38-4708-BEED-B2B7E739D275.jpeg

A4A43724-C5A5-4235-A3A8-120E46944571.jpeg

Being that we're still under quarantine, is there any hope of fixing this without a technician visit, or will I have to wait until all restrictions are lifted? This has made it very frustrating to attempt to work from home.....thanks. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Frequent Internet Drops (MDD Messaging time-out, etc)

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they need to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim, you could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

https://imgur.com/a/OXSHYj2 

here's a link to those pics. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Expert

The signal stats are o/k but the error log entries indicate that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Good afternoon, reversole713. Thanks for choosing this method of support. Very sorry to hear about your connection trouble, we definitely understand your frustration. We want to help. I'd like to pull some additional diagnostics on my end. To get into your account and get started - please send me a PM with your first and last name, plus the name of the account holder if that's not you. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.