Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Free bump up in speed?

Frequent Visitor

Free bump up in speed?

I got this email a few months ago, that said I got a bump in in speed from 25 Mbps ot 60 Mbps. However, when I did the cable modem reset, I'm still getting around 20 Mbps and when I talked to Comcast support, they said resetting the modem should have done it and I'm getting decent wireless of around 20-25 MBps. But if my cable modem is compliant with Comcast's docsis 3.0 standards of at least handling 54 MBps and so is my wireless router, why aren't I getting more?  Or is this email just spam?  But if you look at the sending address, it looks legit...

Xfinityspeedbump.JPG

Expert

Re: Free bump up in speed?

What are the exact make's and model number's of your cable modem and router ?

For a test, what speeds do you get with a computer hardwired directly to the modem ?

Frequent Visitor

My modem is an Arris Surfboard SB6141

My wireless router is a Netgear WGR614v10

I hardwired to my router and got up to 70 mbps down and 6 mbps up.

through wireless it averages around 12-16 mbps down and 4-6 mbps up.

So I guess hardwired is the best way to go. Wish I could improve my upload speed, will it result in better gaming performance or does download speed predominantly determine that?

Regular Contributor

Sometimes just a power cycle doesn't get you upgraded.  Go ahead and do a hard reset by holding down the reset button on the back for 30 seconds to purge any issues.  If you're still not getting the new speeds then give Comcast a call and ask them to reprovision the modem.

Silver Problem Solver

mrumppe wrote:

Sometimes just a power cycle doesn't get you upgraded.  Go ahead and do a hard reset by holding down the reset button on the back for 30 seconds to purge any issues.  If you're still not getting the new speeds then give Comcast a call and ask them to reprovision the modem.

OP already has his speed on an Ethernet connection no need to reset or reprovision. A quick look at the router specs, it's an older wireless G device. Should look into upgrading his/her wireless router and wireless devices.

If a faster upload speed is required, should upgrade their internet tier.

New Poster

Did you figure out any way to get your SB6141 to speed up? Tried power cycling it to take advantage of the increase speed they just released but not getting it. 

Problem Solver

Just out of curiosity does anyone know when these increases will come to Freedom Region. I can see right now the pattern for these increases is that it’s going from West to East but is there any specific date for Freedom Region or mainly for the Northeast Divison?
Problem Solver

pkuck wrote:

Did you figure out any way to get your SB6141 to speed up? Tried power cycling it to take advantage of the increase speed they just released but not getting it. 

Have you tried a 30 second press of the reset button on the back of the 6141?