Community Forum

Forgot password for Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 modem

New Poster

Forgot password for Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 modem

I have forgotten my password for my Wi-Fi Cable Modem Gateway. Please explain, step-by-step, how I can reset the default username and password on my Motorola modem so that I can add another device onto the routing.  I can not download books onto my NOOK without the password.  Thanking you in advance for your attention to my issue.

Problem Solver

Re: Forgot password for Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 modem

You can reset your modem to its original username and password by pushing the reset button on the back of the modem and HOLDING  it there for at least 30 seconds. This will also reset any other changes you may have made to your configuration. After your modem  reboots I believe your  username is: admin and the password is: motorola.  

Bronze Problem Solver

Also some of the motorola routers have a backdoor login.

that is 

root

motorola

try that before resetting.

New Poster

Thank you for taking the time to address my issue.  I tried to reset to the original User and Password by using the reset button, but it did not work.  Nevertheless, I was able to connect my Nook e-reader to the Wi-Fi by entering the WPA-PSK 20 character code, found on the lable on the bottom of the modem, as the password.  Who would have guessed! 

Thanks again.

Chemnut

Problem Solver

I'm glad it worked out for you!

New Poster

Thank you for taking the time to address my issue.  I will keep your suggestion in mind for the next time I have problems connecting a device to my Wi-Fi modem.  I was able to connect my Nook e-reader by entering the WPA-PSK  20 character code, found on the lable attached to the bottom of my modem, as the password.  I was not successful in resetting the original User/Password, however this WPA-PSK worked, so I am happy!

Thanks again

Chemnut 

New Poster

thank you thank you thank you! totally worked!